Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Navigation Screen Problems -- Help!

We just bought a 400h (Feb. 10) and the next day I bought a new cell phone to work with it. It worked fine...for 24 hours. Then the next day, while messing around trying to make the various screens do what I wanted them to do, about half of the icons showed as "grayed out". I'm thinking I must've selected something that disabled them, but I can't figure out what.

The icons that are grayed out are such as: SETUP, MY PLACES, and I don't remember the others. Mostly the items in the left and lower left of the screens.

It still lets you go to TRIP INFORMATION, though.

And it lets you go to TELEPHONE, but when it gets there, you can't dial. Everything is grayed out. The only thing lit up is a "SPEED DIAL" box in the upper left corner but it is nonfunctional. I found out by accident yesterday that while the system is in this condition, if I dial from my actual phone, it still plays through the car system and I can hang up using the steering wheel button.

These are normally grayed out when you are driving - are you parked up when this happens or driving?

Haven't tried but they may also disable when you are parked in neutral.

Yeah, thanks. I figured it out after I made the post--when I read some peoples' complaints about Toyota/Lexus not letting the driver make his/her own decisions about the safety of operating phone/navi while driving. Now I get it. I'm just not used to that. My last car with navigation and integrated phone was a BMW X3. Prior to that it was a Honda Accord. Both allowed phone and navigation operation during driving, so I didn't put that together. Thanks for posting a reply, though. Had I not figured it out, your response would've explained it for me!

No problem - disabling features for safety reasons is a major bugbear for many Lexus owners. Search this forum and there are actually some things you can do to get round it. Search for Navigation Override.

The best option for that which I've found (and I've done a LOT of searching) involves splicing together the new firmware with a file from the old firmware, burning to disc and installing the firmware from that.

You can then get into the setup menu which will still contain the override menu.

The problem with this solution, or even using override if on the old firmware anyway, is that it only lasts until you restart the car again.

The other option of splicing wires together isn't an option, IMHO.

That would probably void your warranty, and means you have to provide a switch to turn off the speed signal.

Whilst that's turned off, the satnav can get quite confused.

I probably have linkys for more info if you're interested.

G

Why don't we just all agree to obey the law?

If you don't care about your own safety, please spare a thought for other road users.

No offense, but I think you've missed the point.

There's nothing illegal about being able to enter a destination or dial the telephone whilst the car is moving, because nothing dictates that it must be the driver doing so.

If you don't care about your own safety, please spare a thought for other road users.

To my knowledge, Lexus is not yet governing us, so why should we regard its corporate policy as a universal rule? Should you care about everyone safety, you would urge Lexus to supply a system useful when it's needed the most, ie when driving (vs when parked)!

No problem - disabling features for safety reasons is a major bugbear for many Lexus owners. Search this forum and there are actually some things you can do to get round it. Search for Navigation Override.

The best option for that which I've found (and I've done a LOT of searching) involves splicing together the new firmware with a file from the old firmware, burning to disc and installing the firmware from that.

You can then get into the setup menu which will still contain the override menu.

The problem with this solution, or even using override if on the old firmware anyway, is that it only lasts until you restart the car again.

The other option of splicing wires together isn't an option, IMHO.

That would probably void your warranty, and means you have to provide a switch to turn off the speed signal.

Whilst that's turned off, the satnav can get quite confused.

I probably have linkys for more info if you're interested.

G

I'm interested in alternative solutions!

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

You could argue that there are a lot of other ways you can break the law in a lexus that lexus do not block us doing.

The offence code is MP50 "Failure to have your vehicle under proper control" For which you now receive 3 points and a £60 fine. That can be used for anything, including clicking on page 3 and selecting a speed dial option, drinking from a can, looking down and adjusting your heated seats, anything.

I think at the end of the day, Lexus should unlock the controls and it is down to the common sense of the individual to decide what they want to do no Lexus. Otherwise we could argue that Lexus should limit their cars to 70mph, so we can not break the speed limit. LOL

I think at the end of the day, Lexus should unlock the controls and it is down to the common sense of the individual to decide what they want to do no Lexus. Otherwise we could argue that Lexus should limit their cars to 70mph, so we can not break the speed limit. LOL

Limiting to 70 won't help, you'd still be able to break the lower speed limit, they'd have to implement a GPS based speed limiter, so they knew the speed of the road from the satnav position :)

ps. i agree, the common sense option would definitely be best