Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Admits Front Suspension Noise

I get it going over 20mph speed bumps but only when I go slightly too fast so it's not a problem for me. I'll just be more careful with my speed.

• 3 months later...

hi, i have exactly the same problem as you have described in my rx300, but lexus not doing anything to fix it, i am very dissappointed... should have sticked to german cars...

Same here... 2001 RX300

Was lovely and quiet, now, after have new (genuine) discs and pads fitted all round, the front rattles on pot holes, speed bumps and the like, I just can't seem to find out where it's coming from as everything seems "tight" and solid when I look at it (the rattle sounds like something is really loose :-/ ) ..... it wouldn't be too bad I suppose, but it's embarrasing when pedestrians look round (or jump out the way in one case!!) when you drive past :-(

Sunset July I bought a Lexus RX 400h in disagreeable to get "the motion of perfection". I noticed straightaway that the inactiveness of my car was making an unusual say (sound noise), when the car was driven over fine humps or elfin potholes at low ratio. The dealer for nearly ternary months was trying to describe what the reason of much a noise is. They varied galore parts including appal absorbers, top mounts and bushes. They reliable calculating to comprehend the job and had to telephone a fighting absorbers and they said it is not perilous. They gave this in authorship. They also tested some new cars and few were making this racket patch others were not. Is your car making much a racket when unvoluntary at low travel (>25 mph) over tiny humps? I would greatly increase your answers. Impart you.

Rolls Royce Power Steering Gear Box

• 2 years later...

I have just bought a 62 reg 450 for my wife. I immediately noticed the problem. I hear a knocking, clunking sound, I think from the front when I go over small bumps/potholes. I don't notice it over speed bumps. I have booked it in with Lexus Croydon for diagnosis. My previous car, a 4WD Volvo and my current car, Jaguar XJ do not have the problem on the same roads. I will report when I get the car back

• 8 months later...

No more news on this topic? My RX300 2006 too has this rattling clunking noise over small bumps at low speeds. Lexus mechanics says everything is tight and ok. Very frustrating.

Isn't it very strange that so far no one has been able to pinpoint what's exactly making this noise? Guess we can rule out the shocks/springs as cars with conventional as well as air suspension have been reported with the same problem. Strange thing is I didn't notice it before changing tires and rims from 235/55R18 to 225/65R17 .

No more news on this topic? My RX300 2006 too has this rattling clunking noise over small bumps at low speeds. Lexus mechanics says everything is tight and ok. Very frustrating.

Isn't it very strange that so far no one has been able to pinpoint what's exactly making this noise? Guess we can rule out the shocks/springs as cars with conventional as well as air suspension have been reported with the same problem. Strange thing is I didn't notice it before changing tires and rims from 235/55R18 to 225/65R17 .

I had a clunking sound over bumps that turned out to be due to a loose bonnet catch/lock mechanism. The sound was really hard to pin point and at first I thought it was coming from the back of the car.

Worth a try to see if you can move the bonnet up and down whilst it is parked to see if there is any play. The sound it made whilst parked was nothing like the sound it made on the move so at first I had discounted the bonnet as a potential cause of the clunking.

The dealer made an adjustment to the catch and sprayed loads of grease over the area. They also fed through a cable tie from the 'L' Lexus logo to pull up a thin metal strip behind to stop it from knocking on anything. Has been clunk-free ever since.

I somehow have a hunch that you are on the right track Tom. The sound is realy hard to pinpoint. Could be anything. And after the Lexus mechanics spent an hour going through every bolt and nut I find it very hard to believe it's something wrong with the suspension etc. So I will start to look elsewhere.. rolling beercan under the seat,, anything is posssible. Thanks for advice

• 4 weeks later...

These forums mostly shows Lexus owners posting their car problems. I think its a good idea to follow it up with the solution/fix if it has been found. My specific clunking rattling suspension noise (posted earlier) was finally fixed when Lexus replaced the right side air strut. Luckily it was during my 6 months used car guarantee. But I really hope I dont have to replace any more of them in the future. They are replaced as one piece and cost a fortune. (2000£ inclusive work). I asked Lexus what it would cost me to replace them with standard struts and springs and it was 4000£. For all four corners!! So if any more of the airstruts are failing, I'm seriously going to consider it.