Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Admits Front Suspension Noise

Last July I bought a Lexus RX 400h in trying to experience “the pursuit of perfection”. I noticed immediately that the suspension of my car was making an unusual sound (knocking noise), when the car was driven over small humps or small potholes at low speed. The dealer for nearly three months was trying to discover what the cause of such a noise is. They changed many parts including shock absorbers, top mounts and bushes. They tried hard to find the problem and had to call a mechanic from Lexus Europe who came to inspect the car. After thorough testing they came into the conclusion that the noise is coming from the inner valve of the shock absorbers and they said it is not dangerous. They gave this in writing. They also tested many new cars and some were making this noise while others were not. Is your car making such a noise when driven at low speed (>25 mph) over small humps? I would greatly appreciate your answers. Thank you.

Yes I mentioned this in a post some time ago ( I've looked but can't find the post - maybe it was too long ago) someone replied to say that they get it too.

I get only get it when going over speed bumps - even very slowly.

It sounds as if the rim is hitting the road although I know it isn't.

And they're not going to resolve the noise for you?
Yes I mentioned this in a post some time ago ( I've looked but can't find the post - maybe it was too long ago) someone replied to say that they get it too.

I get only get it when going over speed bumps - even very slowly.

It sounds as if the rim is hitting the road although I know it isn't.

Lexus Europe found that this knocking sound is coming from the inner oil valve of the shock absorbers and claim it is normal. I have my own reservations for a car of this quality and value.

It will be interesting to know if other owners have experiensed the noise. Any feedback please?

No noise like that on my RX300SE-L in black bought from brand new end of 2003, now 19900 miles. The only thing is front tyres worn on shoulders for using pressure 40 instead of 32. Lexus replaced full set of alloys due to slight bubblings on some and recalled 2 times for brakes.

No noise as you describe from my RX400h in over 16,000 miles.
No noise like that on my RX300SE-L in black bought from brand new end of 2003, now 19900 miles. The only thing is front tyres worn on shoulders for using pressure 40 instead of 32. Lexus replaced full set of alloys due to slight bubblings on some and recalled 2 times for brakes.

Thank you for your replies. Any other owners that could give me information about this noise on their cars would be greatly appreciated. I had tried 3 RX 400h myself; all 2006 models. Two of them had the noise. I will post the translated official letter I received from Toyota Hellas (after the inspection from the mechanic from Toyota Europe). I am still waiting for a resolution to the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the letter I received from Toyota.

http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/pgp1/Scan1La.bmp

http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/pgp1/Scan1L0004b.bmp

Unfortunately the noise is produced also under different conditions as I described in my first post. Lexus seem to find it normal since it was heard on a number of new cars they tried (is it heard on yours?) and say that I have to live with it. Well, I am sorry but no car is producing knocking noises in the suspension at such low speeds! Where is Lexus’s class-leading levels of refinement and reliability, together with customer service that is second to none in the industry?

• 1 month later...
My RX300 does the same. I need to go ocer 13 speed bumps a quarter of a mile road before getting home and I have noticed that if I go over the bumps in a certain way then I can hear the thud noise.

My Rx400h was delivered in October 2006. I have nearly 4000 miles on it.

I frquently drive on bumpy country roads but I haven't had the noise you describe.

It developed a groaning/croaking noise on the bumps around February time similar to tah I used to get on the old minis in the 1970's. That was cured by throwing a bucket of water at the ball joints! :)

The dealer has recently lubricated the suspension and it seems ok now.

So not all cars are affected with your problem... I hope!!

I got a real bad knocking noise out of my Lexus last summer after about 2000 miles. It sounded like metal hitting metal and only happened at low speeds especially on speed bumps.

I went crazy checking wheel nuts and poking around with the heat baffles around the exhaust as I was convinced it was coming from under the car. Got my hands dirty and everything. Even thought the wife may have driven it over a kerb or something...

Took it to Lexus with the vague "it makes a clunking sound when I go over a bump" complaint, fully expecting them to say nothings wrong and go and live with it.

How wrong I was - it was the DVD player under the drivers seat that had come loose.

I am sorry yours didnt turn out to be the same.

I got a real bad knocking noise out of my Lexus last summer after about 2000 miles. It sounded like metal hitting metal and only happened at low speeds especially on speed bumps.

I went crazy checking wheel nuts and poking around with the heat baffles around the exhaust as I was convinced it was coming from under the car. Got my hands dirty and everything. Even thought the wife may have driven it over a kerb or something...

Took it to Lexus with the vague "it makes a clunking sound when I go over a bump" complaint, fully expecting them to say nothings wrong and go and live with it.

How wrong I was - it was the DVD player under the drivers seat that had come loose.

I am sorry yours didnt turn out to be the same.

Simple solution :)

Thta's a relief!

However mine doesn't have a DVD under the seat. Cheap version !!!

• 11 months later...
My RX300 does the same. I need to go ocer 13 speed bumps a quarter of a mile road before getting home and I have noticed that if I go over the bumps in a certain way then I can hear the thud noise.

Hi. yes my IS 200 sport year 2000 does the same going slow over speed bumps.

ta, steve

Hi. yes my IS 200 sport year 2000 does the same going slow over speed bumps.

ta, steve

Hi i have the same problem with my IS200 sport when i go over speed humps or pitch into a corner and hit a small bump in the road ( all at very low speed ) i had taken mine back plenty of times to lexus hatfield they where very helpfull....they replaced front shocks,front top mount etc..but still have the same problem...so im guessing that this is the problem on the cars then? as we are all saying/have the same problem....surely they must have to do something or replace the parts with better items that dont make this noise or have the problem?? how hard can it be? :unsure:

had the same noise in my is200se 03 plate. lexus coventry replaced shock absorbers then said it was the "calipers moving" or something of that sort and said its normal. dont think it is/was.

I notice a slight noice from my RX 300 SEL. It seems to come from the front right hand side, only at low speeds over speed bumps, it sounds like something is almost snapping. Not sure is this helps because mine has the air suspension.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the same noice in mine last summer....it did it exactly as you describe it....over small holes....I only noticed it because I had the window open and you could clearly hear it....even my wife did....! To be honest, I did not take this up with Lexus and the fact is that after 2-3 weeks it went away....It was one of those really hot Greek summer days and I thought that might have something to do with it....

Last July I bought a Lexus RX 400h in trying to experience “the pursuit of perfection”. I noticed immediately that the suspension of my car was making an unusual sound (knocking noise), when the car was driven over small humps or small potholes at low speed. The dealer for nearly three months was trying to discover what the cause of such a noise is. They changed many parts including shock absorbers, top mounts and bushes. They tried hard to find the problem and had to call a mechanic from Lexus Europe who came to inspect the car. After thorough testing they came into the conclusion that the noise is coming from the inner valve of the shock absorbers and they said it is not dangerous. They gave this in writing. They also tested many new cars and some were making this noise while others were not. Is your car making such a noise when driven at low speed (>25 mph) over small humps? I would greatly appreciate your answers. Thank you.

Hi, just to let you know the creaking noise has gon now from my front end when i go over speed bumps slow, the other week i had all my wheels off and painted my brake calipers, but befor that i gave all the joints and everything a good spray of wd 40 then after a good spray with grease.

Been a few weeks now and i canot here a thing now over the bumps, I think everyone should take there wheels off a least once a year and give the joints and everything a good spray. because everything looks dry and rust.

thanks steve

• 3 years later...

Hello all...Had this problem with my old 1995 Lexus LS 400...Had it in the garage several times, but they say nothing is wrong.( Still knocking when I go over bumps ) They say all the joint and bushes are OK....HELLO but something is wrong...Why Lexus have not done anything abouts this is beyond me..Mine might be an old car, but I wont be getting a new car unless something is done a.s.a.p.. Any advice from other members would be appreciated...Thank you Roy.

Interesting. I have had an RX300, 350 and now a 2009 400h on just over 20,000 miles. They have all seemed to suffer from knocking at the front end.

With the RX400h, the rattling became increasingly worse. The off side (driver side) drop link was replaced, and the car was better. But I could still hear rattles over coarse road surfaces and pot holes. They then replaced the damper and top mount. To be honest, no change. Still knocks/rattles.

It is difficult to say whether it is now the (new) suspension still, or something in the dash. It is also difficult to guarantee reproduction of the noises when taking it to the dealers. You get to know which roads mainfest the problem, but may be they are too far away from the dealers.

I have to say, the dealer I used has been excellent. It is getting to the point now though where I feel like a moaning mini because my car sometimes has a rattle at the front, they do loads of work, and the noise occaisionally re-presents itself. I agree though, that a car of this 'quality' should not make these kinds of noises. My cheapy Jeep Cherokee is 5 years old, has similar miles, and does not rattle like that.

My 06 Rx400h also makes a clunking noise when going over low speed bumps, particularly when turning.

Not impressed by the "Pursuit of Perfection" on this one. In fact I rue the day I got bored of German brands and bought a re-badged Toyota!