Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Warranty

IS300

The manufactures warranty is soon due to expire, Lexus recently wrote to me offering to extend the warranty but with no info. relating to period and cost. What have other members paid and do you think it is money worth spending?

The manufactures warranty is soon due to expire, Lexus recently wrote to me offering to extend the warranty but with no info. relating to period and cost. What have other members paid and do you think it is money worth spending?

I took out a policy with 'warranty direct' last Sept, cost me about £250 and covers everthing that a Lexus warranty would and repairs can be carried out by Lexus dealerships.

So far I havent made a claim but independent reviews are good for them.

P.S dont accept their 1st quote they will keep phoning/writing to you each time dropping the price.

Good luck..

Before the existing warranty runs out:-

Check mirrors for any "halo" or "sunrise" effect at the edges, indicating that the backing is starting to corrode.

Check alloys. Any corrosion, get 'em changed.

I took out a policy with 'warranty direct' last Sept, cost me about £250 and covers everthing that a Lexus warranty would and repairs can be carried out by Lexus dealerships.

P.S dont accept their 1st quote they will keep phoning/writing to you each time dropping the price.

Good luck..

Willowwood is there a maximum £ per claim on the warrenty ?

Thanks

Autoexpress within the last couple of weeks ran an article which suggested that you get the likes of RAC to carryout a full inspection prior to warranty expiring. I know it would cost for the inspection, however they did turn up items that needed repairing on a number of cars they inspected. If nothing is found at least you would have peace of mind that the car was ok. Depends on how long you intend to keep your car.

I didn't bother when I had mine but 4 months after the warranty expired my water pump started leaking - I believe it's a common problem so worth checking before you decide.

The other thing to bear in mind is the cost of the warranty - what miles have you done - if you need your timing belt changed soon that's another £400 to add to your running costs.

And don't forget your stereo has 5 years warranty on it :winky:

I didn't bother when I had mine but 4 months after the warranty expired my water pump started leaking - I believe it's a common problem so worth checking before you decide.

The other thing to bear in mind is the cost of the warranty - what miles have you done - if you need your timing belt changed soon that's another £400 to add to your running costs.

And don't forget your stereo has 5 years warranty on it :winky:

I am just coming out of a one year extended warranty. Cost £660. I bought it as I was not happy with how the car was feeling. Have had all four discs and the two front shock absorbers changed under warranty as well as a full geometry. Countless hours have been spent trying to resolve the dreaded brake judder and a creaking noise. The creaking noise has gone but they nevertheless had to skim a new set of front discs so I am not confident that the brake judder issue has been resolved.

This car is the worst handling car I have ever owned period.

I am just coming out of a one year extended warranty. Cost £660. I bought it as I was not happy with how the car was feeling. Have had all four discs and the two front shock absorbers changed under warranty as well as a full geometry. Countless hours have been spent trying to resolve the dreaded brake judder and a creaking noise. The creaking noise has gone but they nevertheless had to skim a new set of front discs so I am not confident that the brake judder issue has been resolved.

Have you had the geo checked by Tony (wheels in motion)? I had awful brake judder too which Lexus couldn't fix, all got sorted after having the geo setup properly - sounds like its worth a shot if its handling so bad.......

With regard to the warranty, I thought about it at the time, but approaching the end of what would have been the 2 years extra warranty, I'm glad I didn't as thankfully I haven't had anything go wrong (touch wood)

All I did was before the original warranty expired, I had my dealer give the car an inspection and they picked off everything that needed replacing and got it all changed. It was quite a hefty bill as well so would highly recommend you do that :)

Have you had the geo checked by Tony (wheels in motion)? I had awful brake judder too which Lexus couldn't fix, all got sorted after having the geo setup properly - sounds like its worth a shot if its handling so bad.......

With regard to the warranty, I thought about it at the time, but approaching the end of what would have been the 2 years extra warranty, I'm glad I didn't as thankfully I haven't had anything go wrong (touch wood)

All I did was before the original warranty expired, I had my dealer give the car an inspection and they picked off everything that needed replacing and got it all changed. It was quite a hefty bill as well so would highly recommend you do that :)

Yes I also did this when the original three year warranty ended and they changed the water pump and bypass hose.

Tony has dealt with my car before and after the original set up and two fine tunes everything appeared fine, however, the work carried out under an extra years warranty I bought may have compromised the geometry. Tony has set it up again and I will return in 2,000 miles. I like the car but too much has been annoying the hell out of me. Apart from brake judder there was a creaking to the front nearside of the vehicle which funny enough only appeared after they had changed the brake discs and front suspension under warranty. That has now been resolved. There was a harshness/grating feeling at the front when braking. They said they found clay in the hub bearings(??). I do not get this feeling anymore but the brakes are a tad soft. Almost wacked someone up the rear a few days after getting the car back. Generally the brakes are not great on the IS200.

I am sure Tony will sort out my geometry. What I intend to do is to find the settings he did on the second fine tune and ask for that setting to be applied when he does the current fine tune.

Finally I have this annoying sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. It is a sort of wow, wow, wow sound not too loud. Thought it might have something to do with my tyres, wheels or bearings. Tony had a look and says the tyres and wheels are fine and he cannot see a car of my age having bearing problems. His only concern was the "play" on the drive shaft leading to the rear diff(??). My warranty expires mid March 2007 and I intend getting it looked at prior to this for any outstanding issues. Think I may also lodge a complaint with Lexus (GB) about this car and the dealership I bought it from. The dealership has been an absolute disgrace to the Lexus brand name and totally the opposite to the current dealership I am using.

That's my bit of whinging then.

Good luck..

Willowwood is there a maximum £ per claim on the warrenty ?

Thanks

Claim limit is £5000 with £25 excess, this policy includes recovery, hire car and hotel accommodation if needed.

Mars

Without naming names, does your dealership begin with 'W'? :blink:

Yes my current dealership who are absolutely excellent is Woodford Green, James Cook (Service Manager) in particular. The other is also in London quite central. You can guess who that is.