Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stone Chips ?

lexus 200

hi all

i have the platinum ice silver paint work and have gained a few stone chips on the body work and a scuff on the bumper. my problem is do i take it to a body shop or use a mobile repair company? i know they can fill chips

i have seen this colour repaired before and the match isn't great have u had urs repaired and whats the match like

if u can recommend a company in Kent as well that would be great

thanks

FWIW I've used Chips Away on my previous cars. Being a franchise they are only as good as the franchisee (so quality can vary). Best advice would be in these circumstances to stick your head into your local Dealer and ask them who they get in to do SMART repair on their cars - that way you can atleast have a good lead to follow through on.

I wouldn't suggest your work is appropriate for a bodyshop - so a good SMART repair might just do the job.

Keep away from Chips Away for the Platinum Ice, they had a test on my bonnet and couldn't get anywhere near it.

I ended up having the car resprayed, worked out cheaper than spraying the bonnet, front bumper, front wings, front doors, spoiler, leading edge of roof and bodykit sprayed and fitted.

They have to blend the repaired area into the rest of the car, so if they sprayed front bumper and bonnet, they'd have to blend it into the wings.

Since ive gotta repair to do to my rear quarter, should i be asking the dealers for paint? I had the front eyelids painted by some guy who's colour match looked quite good, but it looks a lil 'flat' copared to the original paint work!

So can you buy paint from the dealers??

Can't see why not. It's just a part, they'd have to come up with some paint if someone came in with a repair job for them to do...

The thing with metallic paint is it's just as much the way it's sprayed as the colour of the paint; spray it too thick and it looks too dark, spray it too thin and it looks too pale. The little metal flakes that make it 'metallic' affect the final colour tone, depending on how flat they each lie in the paint.

It depends if they have a paint shop which I'm guessing is an expensive investment. For example Reading/Bracknell Lexus/Toyota are part of the same group - Octagon and they share a paint shop at the Bracknell Toyota dealers. Perhaps some delaers out-source it to a local paint shop.

would lexus spray the body work and do they do it or send it to another company?

It really depends if they have their own Bodyshop - take Milton Keynes for example, BMW use Wayside Bodyshop who have a major VW/Audi dealership. They are accredited by BMW (they are also Rolls Royce approved!). Bodyshop costs will be much higher than SMART repair - but if a particular colour is ahrd to match then it'll leave you with the option of spend all that money and get it 'fixed' at a bodyshop or leave it.

I would say if the chips are just chips then leave them mate :)