Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As you know being on LPG has it advantages but when hearing and reading the bad bits :o im thinking I best get it checked out and see if I have one under the hood. :unsure: So I got several questions

1) how would I be able to tell if I have a flashlube fitted or know what it looks like or where it might be installed ;)

2) If I was to buy a kit which I have seen on Ebay- which is the one to go for and are they simple DIY jobs or should I get them fitted by an expert.

3) Do you guys know where I can get one fitted by a pro saving time and hassle. B) dont to bothered about the cost as long as it gets done properly

Currently I drive on petrol now and then (so far only done it twice once for about 200miles and the other 20 miles - since owning the car) to keep the car engine well lubricated as I have heard this can help prevent the valves and engine :tsktsk: but I woudl rather have a flashlube fitted for peice of mind...

You should be able to tell if it's fitted because you will have a plastic bottle and probably a holder that are best described as looking just like the white, plastic drinks bottles that I used to buy and fit to my (push)bike when I was in my early teens and that always used to fall off :duh: The only difference will be it has a tube and a drip adjuster on it connected to one of the inlet pipes. They are very easy to fit if you have the basics of what the various air pipes floating around the top of your engine are. The instructions you get are very good anyway, so even if you are unsure, you could install it all and just ask your local mechanic which pipe to cut to fit the T-piece to.

I wasn't aware that there was more than one type of kit - I think that this kit is exactly the same as this more expensive one, it's just a matter of advertising and marketing :shifty:

I paid about £32 for mine last may so the prices are about the same. In fact, the bottle in the middle of the pic on the cheap one is the one I'm talking about up there^^

Thanks for that I was looking at the cheap one and then saw the expensive so was not sure if tere was any difference.

I will have a look in the morning and see if I find anything close to your description. If it has not had Flashlube fitted would this have caused any engine damage wear n tear inside?

I think ill order one tmorrow and get a pro to fit it unless there is anyone close to me who can help me out

I have checked and it looks like it does not have one fitted hmmm... and the car is running fine, no problems what so ever as yet ( fingers crossed ).

But as said I wont take the risk and get one fitted just incase.

I have checked and it looks like it does not have one fitted hmmm... and the car is running fine, no problems what so ever as yet ( fingers crossed ).

Hi usuf_x,

I bought the cheaper one and it's works fine, it think it was about £35 too. :D, I had mine installed by a pro when i got my LPG ssytem serviced so he priced it in.

Tip: find out who installed it and try to ask the last owner when it was last serviced.. Because it is highly recommended that you have it serviced at least once a year just to make sure everything is working fine. All they do has far has i am aware is they flush the tank and pipes then reset any software, valves, pumps etc.. and check for leaks. mine was never serviced since been installed in 2001 :duh: so i was keen to get mine done and it did make a diff..

I bought a re-fill Flashlube off eBay too for about £12 and so far it's only gone through half in about 6months.

Good luck, keep us posted.

dibslpg

Hi usuf_x,

I bought the cheaper one and it's works fine, it think it was about £35 too. :D, I had mine installed by a pro when i got my LPG ssytem serviced so he priced it in.

Tip: find out who installed it and try to ask the last owner when it was last serviced.. Because it is highly recommended that you have it serviced at least once a year just to make sure everything is working fine. All they do has far has i am aware is they flush the tank and pipes then reset any software, valves, pumps etc.. and check for leaks. mine was never serviced since been installed in 2001 :duh: so i was keen to get mine done and it did make a diff..

I bought a re-fill Flashlube off eBay too for about £12 and so far it's only gone through half in about 6months.

Good luck, keep us posted.

dibslpg

Dibs Thanks for the advice, well mine was service by the last owner only a few month before I brought the car and was fully checked even the omissions and had only required I part replaced(some electronic gadget) I have a record of its history and yes from when it was installed by the original owner I think he never bothered afterwards where as the previous owner did so was very happy that its all been done for me.

I have a metal plate/tag just under the bonnet and it telling me my next major service (dunno what that means) is in 2011 and was serviced by calor gas.

[\quote]

Dibs Thanks for the advice, well mine was service by the last owner only a few month before I brought the car and was fully checked even the omissions and had only required I part replaced(some electronic gadget) I have a record of its history and yes from when it was installed by the original owner I think he never bothered afterwards where as the previous owner did so was very happy that its all been done for me.

I have a metal plate/tag just under the bonnet and it telling me my next major service (dunno what that means) is in 2011 and was serviced by calor gas.

No probs mate, Sounds like you have a well maintained system, best to have it looked at at least every 2nd year to play it safe. :winky:

Dibslpg

I can't believe that LPG hasn't caught on in a massive way. I haven't had my Lex done but would consider it but I have a Talbot camper Van that has a pair of tanks that hold 140 litres total. Its a primitive LPG set up running through a carb but I don't really car cos I only fill it up about once a month.