Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Champagne Metallic: How To Maintain Shine?

ameneon

Hi,

I recently bought a IS220d which has a beatiful champagne metallic colour as you can see in the pictures below.

However, when it comes to maintaining this finish I've little idea where to start. I've read some post on this forum which talk about clay stones, different types of wax and sealent, but I've yet to understand how they all fit together.

So my question is what type of maintenance you would suggest for this car for the exterior? Are there any task which should be perfomed only once or twice a year?

I've also been looking at a local company which provides Meguiars polymear wax treatment with 3 year warranty. Is this something you would recommend?

lexus1.jpg

lexus2.jpg

Regards

Dagfinn

Light coloured paint:

Lighter colour paints (i.e. Silver, White, etc (the exception is speed yellow) will never obtain jetting (the so called ‘wet-look’) of black or dark colours as they do not exhibit visible depth, light colours tends to refract light instead of reflecting it. You can obtain a good gloss provided the paint is good quality and if it’s prepared and detailed correctly; washed, cleaned (detailer’s clay) polished and a polymer sealant added (Zaino, Klasse AIO and SG, Jeffswerkstatt - Acrylic Jett ) these sealants will provide a flat silvery-white shine, but without ‘depth’. By adding a Carnauba wax as an LSP (Pinnacle Souverän Paste Carnauba, Victoria Concourse or Autoglym Super Resin Polish) the oils that are formulated in the Carnauba waxes provide a reflective gloss, which causes jetting (a ‘wetting’ of the surface)

For optimal results the surface of a light coloured paint to show gloss is very much dependant upon good / excellent paint condition, adequately prepped to remove contaminants and minor imperfections. Detailer’s clay (Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine detailing clay Bar) and / or Paint cleaner (Zaino PC or Klasse AIO) should be a regular part of the preparation process.

Hi,

I recently bought a IS220d which has a beatiful champagne metallic colour as you can see in the pictures below.

However, when it comes to maintaining this finish I've little idea where to start. I've read some post on this forum which talk about clay stones, different types of wax and sealent, but I've yet to understand how they all fit together.

So my question is what type of maintenance you would suggest for this car for the exterior? Are there any task which should be perfomed only once or twice a year?

I've also been looking at a local company which provides Meguiars polymear wax treatment with 3 year warranty. Is this something you would recommend?

Regards

Dagfinn

Dagfinn,

More than you'll ever need to know can be found at http://www.autopia.org/

A very good Company, excellent service and ship their products globally and promptly. Regular newsheets on new products and plenty of practical advice from people who have a passion for car detailing B)

Dagfinn,

in my book there is nothing like DIY - rather than paying someone. Autopia is a good source of information.

Check this out http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...mp;hl=carlack68

One of my threads...see post #8 for a an explanation of the order and time allowed etc. just remember, a decent polish, then sealant glaze and then wax. Try not to use anything abrasive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links