Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Very Good Article On Hids

Gareth

That was a very interesting article - as an owner of one of the so-called bogus 8000K aftermarket kits, I did find it an interesting read. I had heard most of it before, but was nice to read it again. :)

However, I don't completely agree with all of it. The actual light on the road from my 8000K kit, is far far better than the halogens I used to have on there. I don't really know about glare to other road users but in terms of where I sit, I can see a lot more. I agree with the comment about reflectors, and if it was possible I'd love to change the reflectors on mine to make them work even better.

However, the pics of those Hondas with the "proper" HIDs, are either using some really different bulbs, or those photos have been doctored - we have a Merc and BMW both with factory xenons, and they provide nowhere near that level of illumination :o

However, I don't completely agree with all of it. The actual light on the road from my 8000K kit, is far far better than the halogens I used to have on there. I don't really know about glare to other road users but in terms of where I sit, I can see a lot more. I agree with the comment about reflectors, and if it was possible I'd love to change the reflectors on mine to make them work even better.

However, the pics of those Hondas with the "proper" HIDs, are either using some really different bulbs, or those photos have been doctored - we have a Merc and BMW both with factory xenons, and they provide nowhere near that level of illumination :o

Your new bulbs may be better than your old halogens, but that's not quite the same thing as being 'the best they could be'. The article suggests that with a 4100K kit, you'd have even better light than you've got now, with less glare to other road users as a further bonus. I dunno, my new GS has HID bulbs (presumably 4100K as they are OEM fitment) and they certainly are a heck of a lot brighter than the halogens on the IS. In a couple of weeks I have a decent length trip to do in the evening, will be interesting to see how they go...

With the Hondas, I suspect the picture may be slightly misleading. If you deliberately overexposed a shot, or picked an area with a particularly pale/relective ground surface (eg white concrete), then it'd look like the lights are more amazing than they really are. Either way, it looks pretty bright - though I wouldn't want that car coming the other way in the narrow road, you'd get badly dazzled by it!

Either way, it looks pretty bright - though I wouldn't want that car coming the other way in the narrow road, you'd get badly dazzled by it!

I would actually hope not. A lot of the article is about the cutoff line, and with the honda's photos that's actually clearly shown to be below the windscreen of cars ahead, at varying distances.

At a further distance you'd obviously be inside the illumination, but shouldn't get dazzled by it.

G

Your new bulbs may be better than your old halogens, but that's not quite the same thing as being 'the best they could be'. The article suggests that with a 4100K kit, you'd have even better light than you've got now

That I agree with, and I knew that before I bought them so not too worried - ss soon as I get tired of the blueish light, I'll get the bulbs changed....... :)

Anyone know whether its easy to retrofit the reflectors as in that article?

Ok so I've been doing a bit of reading around this, and I agree that the reflector will be quite important.

As I can't really be bothered to replace the kit I have and retrofit the projector style units anyway I was wondering if its possible to swap the IS300 reflector with the IS200 one.

I know that the actual headlight is a different shape, but if you dismantled both, would the reflector from the IS300 fit in the IS200 housing?

It was this picture that got me thinking, as it has the reflector from an IS on a Honda..........

110.jpg