Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ntl: Signal Boosters?

Kazi

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to improve the signal from an Ntl box. Currently I have two modems and two tv signals coming into my house. However the picture quality on my newish Samsung LCD is not as good as it could be.

I have been looking to try and find a signal booster, but as my Ntl box uses a different type connection (Screw on) and so, im at a dead end. Can I just buy some cable, get a screw on connection to fIt my Ntl input splitter on one end, then fix a coaxial connector to the other and then buy a normal signal booster. Then from that, make another cable up the same to go from the signal booster to my Ntl box? If that makes sense?

Any advice much gratios!

:D

From what I can make out you want to boost the signal within your house?

Not sure this is a good idea.

Most LCD TV's prefer the input signal to be RGB.

I know that this is easily changed on a Sky box and all my screens work better for it.

Don't know if you can or how on an NTL box.

Hi,

The NTL service is digital (unless you are still using the very limited analogue service) so the picture quality will not improve if you add a booster unless you are suffering from picture break-up (macro blocking) or audio 'squeaking' or complete loss of picture.

If you are generally displeased with he quality of the picture and there is no audible or visual symptoms such as squeaking or macro blocking then a booster will not improve the quality of the picture.

The poor picture quality could be attributed to the fact you are viewing a standard definition broadcast on a large LCD screen (always looks pants) :duh:

There are some secret menus on digital NTL boxes that allow you to check the signal details. Power on your box whilst holding the up and down keys on the front panel. After some time. the box will boot into diagnostics mode. I can’t remember which page has the signal info on but its easy to find.

You are looking to check the signal level and the SNR. Also, I think the screen will display in Green if the signal is good, amber if its border line (you would see visual and audible issues) and red if its poor.

The optimum signal range is approx -10dB to 10dB but you need to ensure that you have an SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) of at least 31dB.

When you have finished checking the diagnostic screens you just re-power the box

Anyway, if the signal is poor you can 'boost' the signal by getting your self a signal amplifier. You will need one that supports a frequency range of at least 0 to 850MHz and it must be a 2-way amplifier. I would only recommend doing this if you are sure the signal is low (i.e. visual and audible defects) other wise you could 'over-boost' the signal which will have an even more detrimental effect.

If you’re unsure about your signal level I would get your installer to come and have a look for you.

Hope this helps.

Lex Steel - Cool, cheers for the info. The picture is not un watchable, I mean its ok, but after seeing my mates ntl on his new Tv mine does not look as clear. I'll check the diognostic screen and see what it says. I need to look into getting a HD box from Ntl anyway so might just go down that route.

RayKhan - Yeah, just trying to improve the picture from the box to my Tv. Id assume that Ntl already uses RGB...I could be wrong mind.

Cheers for the pointers so far chaps.

No probs.. so are you saying that the problem is between the box and the TV or the signal coming to the box? I was under the impression you were meaning the latter.

How have you got your TV connected to the box? SCART is obviously best but if your using the UHF (arial type) output then that could explain it...

When I use other devides like DVD, my Wii or my laptop the picture quality is great.

Ive got that secret menu thingy up, theirs 20 pages, im just crawling through them now.

The SNR is amber and stands at 35dB...So border line by the sounds of it.

Most of the pages are just info, I can change very little with ragards to the sttings. Is their any settings which you'd suggest changing?

Cheers.

No probs.. so are you saying that the problem is between the box and the TV or the signal coming to the box? I was under the impression you were meaning the latter.

How have you got your TV connected to the box? SCART is obviously best but if your using the UHF (arial type) output then that could explain it...

Having looked at the diognostic screen, it woudl appear that the signal to the box is not great. Im using a scart to the Tv so their is little I could do that would make a huge difference in picture quality....I dont think...

Yep RGB is the main reason I can think of as to why your picture isn't good - you've probably got it on composite at the moment.

I'm not sure if Ntl is similar to Telewest, but it should be in the TV settings in the menu. Should be same place where you set up whether its widescreen, letterbox, etc.

As others have said, don't need a booster for cable - if there is a proper problem, then best thing would be to call them to come out and check it.

Although is the picture bad, or just not as good as your friends TV? There is a huge amount of variation between different LCDs when given an SD input. When I bought mine last year, I went through so much pain to find one that I liked. I had written off Samsung as they were all awful, until I came across the one I ended up buying which was only available at one store. So even within one brand there can be huge differences.........

I have just changed my settings from the remote, didnt think to check that, switched to 16:9 apsect ratio and RGB input and its made a massive difference! Cheers folks. I'll keep a keen eye on what some of the other channels are like. Fingers crossed its problem solved! :D

When I use other devides like DVD, my Wii or my laptop the picture quality is great.

Ive got that secret menu thingy up, theirs 20 pages, im just crawling through them now.

The SNR is amber and stands at 35dB...So border line by the sounds of it.

Most of the pages are just info, I can change very little with ragards to the sttings. Is their any settings which you'd suggest changing?

Cheers.

Having looked at the diognostic screen, it woudl appear that the signal to the box is not great. Im using a scart to the Tv so their is little I could do that would make a huge difference in picture quality....I dont think...

The diagnostic screens are only for info - NTL installers use them..

SNR of 35 is perfectly acceptable.

Glad the RGB change sorted the problem.