Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d...fuel Consumption?

Just received this reply back from Lexus GB... :tsktsk: doesnt help much, especially when I change gender by the end of the reply.

Anyone further comments?...looks like I'll have to put up with it...or get rid, luv the car but thought it would be more economical compared to the Corolla compressor I traded up from :sad:

Dear Miss Stewart

Thank you for contacting Lexus.

In response to your question concerning fuel consumption on your IS 220d; I

can advise you that there are several factors that can affect the outcome

of the MPG. One point to consider is that the MPG figures that are stated

for the IS 220d, its is quite hard to produce these results when driving on

the road. When you consider that each driver has their own style of driving

on the road, in regards to how rapid

acceleration and braking are applied. Also depending on the period of time

that you are in idle traffic and starting and stopping in urban areas. In

respect to driving on a straight run even though there are less factors

involved the style of driving plays a big part, such as the rate of gear

change and at what revolution the gear is changed. What I can advise you Mr

Stewart is that with diesel engines the MPG that is produced will gradually

increase as the engine has been run in more.

If there is anything else that I can help you with please don't hesitate to

contact me again by any of the methods indicated below.

Kind regards

Omar Cheema

Customer Account Manager

Lexus Contact Centre

Looks like a "copy and paste" letter, would imagine most are.

This is quite a hot topic on this discussion site and I am a bit disappointed with my fuel consumption compared to my SAAB 93 having said that the power is over 10% more so it is understandable that the mpg is 10% less especially for a heavy car like this. The problem is the official figures which keep the pence per mile price down for the company buyers. If you check the pence per mile of the 220d is similar to a Ford 1.6 Focus.

I'll just have to be less heavy right footed I guess, see what happens now I've just had my first service...Lexus Bradford said it should get better!!!

Hi Snuggles,

Read the discussions on Fuel Economy from page 6 onwards...owners are acknowledging the importance (including me) of deploying an appropriate driving style to match gearing...revs etc etc. Worth a read!

If you check the pence per mile of the 220d is similar to a Ford 1.6 Focus.

...VW Lupo 3L would cost you even less...

You can't compare those two cars, man.

Thats my point matus the Lexus is not comparable but the pence per mile is similar to a Focus 1.6. The official fuel economy and hoped residual keep it low. These are the reasons why company car drivers buy them I think the biggest reason why they don't buy then so much is the snug cockpit. But I really like that compared to say the A4 or 3 series.

Snuggles, ( I really can't believe I'm typing that)

I'd be pretty miffed about changing s*x half way through a reply.

It shows a lack of downright ambitious lack of proof reading,

which in turns is just plain dis-respectful in my opinion.

G

Snuggles, ( I really can't believe I'm typing that)

I'd be pretty miffed about changing s*x half way through a reply.

It shows a lack of downright ambitious lack of proof reading,

which in turns is just plain dis-respectful in my opinion.

G

Thanx for that....good to know that there are some nice people out there.

1st post - be gentle with me...

I've only had my IS220D a month and to be perfectly honest, I don't think the fuel economy is bad. A couple of relatively long runs from Leeds to the midlands and back but mostly short commutes. Currently achieving a running average of 39mpg.

Not bad considering I've been experimenting with acceleration and not always being in the right gear (1st diesel I've run).

By a strange coincidence, I also have a Ford Focus 1.6 (recently inherited by 'er indoors) which in three years of ownership and around 40k miles only ever achieved the Ford projected mpg when driven gently on the motorway.

Looked at the 'usual suspects' before opting for the Lexus and have to say customer service/sales at the others was woeful compared to Lexus Leeds.

Agree with the others - that letter is atrocious - a standard 'fob off' and badly written.

Agree with the others - that letter is atrocious - a standard 'fob off' and badly written.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I think the best solution is to just send the letter straight back to Lexus batcave.

I think it stands on it's own as a bad reply.

• 5 years later...

hello to everybody i recently have bought the LEXUS IS220D SE-L which really have a big mileage on odo but the engine is in a quite good condition and it has a ful service history, i 've read all the posts here on forum, i have tried to clean EGR valve and i've done it and it was pretty much clogged inside, but i cant have more then 20MPG of city drive, really dont know what to do, anyone who can advise me on this issue ?

Filip