Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressures Towing

I have just taken delivery of a 2003 Mk 11 RX300 SE Nav from Lexus Croydon and will be getting a towbar fitted at Lexus Hedge End (Southampton) next week.

Normally it is recommended that rear tyre pressures are increased when towing caravans and the like, but I can find no such recommendation in the car's handbook.

Does anyone have any experiences as to whether or not tyre pressures should be increased.

I had a good experience dealing with Croydon, It was a bit sad to see my trusty Honda CR-V go but the RX is in another class so I am well pleased so far.

I have just taken delivery of a 2003 Mk 11 RX300 SE Nav from Lexus Croydon and will be getting a towbar fitted at Lexus Hedge End (Southampton) next week.

Normally it is recommended that rear tyre pressures are increased when towing caravans and the like, but I can find no such recommendation in the car's handbook.

Does anyone have any experiences as to whether or not tyre pressures should be increased.

I had a good experience dealing with Croydon, It was a bit sad to see my trusty Honda CR-V go but the RX is in another class so I am well pleased so far.

In the absence of special towing recommendations from your vehicles' manufacturer, the rear tyres should be set to the "fully laden" pressures. Where "fully laden" and "standard" pressures are the same, increase the tyre pressures at the rear of the car by 4 to 7 psi (0.3 - 0.5 bar), cold, compared to the "standard" pressure.

In the absence of special towing recommendations from your vehicles' manufacturer, the rear tyres should be set to the "fully laden" pressures. Where "fully laden" and "standard" pressures are the same, increase the tyre pressures at the rear of the car by 4 to 7 psi (0.3 - 0.5 bar), cold, compared to the "standard" pressure.

Hi Guys.

We tow a 17ft. Tabbert 540 single axle van with our 2002 RX300. Without a doubt the Lexus is the best towing vehicle we have owned. We moved from a Merc 300TD and it was the best move we ever did.

I always keep the tyre pressures at 32psi front and rear , whether towing or not. I have found that increasing the pressure above 32psi tends to 'bounce ' the car a little and reduce the quality of the ride.

32 seems to suit the car solo and with the van on the back....

If it is of interest I have followed this web site recommendations and I only use Shell High Octane Petrol, since the fuel prices came down... I notice no difference solo or towing HOWEVER, I have been getting 3/4 miles per gallon more on a run (solo) on an run...

Robroy

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your replies. I have to visit Lexus Hedge End tomorrow and will ask for their input. This weekend will be our first trip out with the van on the hook.

Hi, How did the towing go? I have an RX300 which will be used to tow a caravan shortly, what sort of mpg did you get? Thanks in advance.

I have had two trips out with the van on the hook, longest was round trip of 100 miles. Mpg was around 17 -18 which is about what I got with my petrol CR-V but the RX took my Bailey Senator Vermont in it's stride whereas the Honda had to be pushed quite hard.

I have a 200 mile round trip coming up at Easter so will try to get some good towing mpg figures.

• 2 weeks later...

the handbook for my 2001 RX 300SE gives the recommended tyre pressures as follows:

1. 225/60R17 99H : 30 psi front and back

2. 215/70R16 100T: 33 psi front and back

In both cases the manual states: "When towing .............add 2.8psi to the recommend tire pressures and drive at less than 100 kph (62 mph)"

Sorry for the delay in posting this reply but as I still haven't fitted a towbar I hadn't actually looked in the handbook

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links