Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Predicament

Hi there all,

In a bit of a predicament, I've liked the TTE f/b and the TRD f/l since I got the Lexus Accessory brochure quite some time ago and I may be getting one or the other in the next few days.

The problem is that I can't decide!

TRD f/l retains the headlamp washers and looks ace.

TTE f/b looses the headlamp washers but looks equally cool.

Any help with decision making and / or the inclusion of pics would be really appreciated. The fact is I don't mind either and I wouldn't be disappointed to have one and not the other. I think your photographs will help me decide...

Cheers,

Jamie

Sort of following on from this post.

the TTE bumper is nice but it needs that top lip taking out and a nice grill going in

I did a photoshop on one:

21526309712.jpg

a good body shop could do it.

otherwise ther is the corner splitters

pict00436ja1.jpg

alot of money though. come painted from lexus at £300+. Contact Chris.S .

the front lip is a good option.

No, I'm interested in either the lip or bumper. I got a quote from Lexus Bolton this morning for fitting and spraying the TTE Front, TRD Sides and TRD Rear for £599.25 (that isn't for the parts).

Jamie

Lexus genrally use a body shop to do their work so you could go the non lexus route. your old car looked like it was done up so I asume you know a decent garage, try them and it should be cheaper although £500 inc vat is a very good pricew for a good body shop so £600 from Lex is more than reasonable.

The only reason I obtained the quote from Lexus is that I desperately want a good fitment and finish of the TRD/TTE bits.

Jamie

the genuine parts litrally bolt on, no drilling no filling just bolt on and a bit of good old Blue Peter stuff (double sided sticky tape). you could fit yourself. It really is quite easy. side skirts are the easiest the whole bumper is a bit of an arse. the rear im not too sure about though.

Hi Jamie,

Im almost certain you can use your headlamp washers with the tte front bumper, you just have to make the holes for them to go through.

I think scarface made a post about this quite a while back, i will try and find it.

Deano

That's something I wondered to be honest. If the front bumper is supplied with pre-drilled holes for mounting...?

Not 100% sure because I havn't seen the bumper but it should do as it is genuine. as for the washer gets they just need the holes cutting out. ive seen this posted a few times.

I'm not personally a fan of the TRD stuff, so my opinion would be biased, but I'd say go for the TTE bumper :)

I'm sure you've seen my car before, but here it is again:

199595788.jpg

I think that painting quote is a bit high to be honest - I paid £500 to have my bumper, rear skirt and rear lip painted and fitted by Lexus, and that was only because the bumper needed quite a bit of prepwork. It would have been quite a bit less if that hadn't have been the case.

I didn't have the washer holes cut out for 3 reasons:

1. Guy at bodyshop said they wouldn't do it as the washers would not sit as perfectly on the TTE bumper as they do on the normal one

2. I like the cleaner lines without the washers.

3. Car's never dirty enough to actually need the washers, and I hate it how they go off when the lights are on and you wash the windscreen, which just sprays water over the entire bonnet

It was a totally personal decision but just wanted to explain why I didn't have them re-fitted.

The newer bumpers (2005 onwards) were completely redone (and much better quality to be honest) and have the washer holes pre-cut into them. However, these bumpers retail at over £600 from Lexus, might bag a bargain on eBay if you're lucky but otherwise a hefty cost for what is essentially the same bumper.

Id get the TTE bumper. Not sure why you'd lose the washer jets? :blink: Just drill them out! Its no issue. I have the Trd front lip and have actually been very happy with.

Massive difference in price though mate, so depends on how much you wanted to spend. Obviously the front bumper will cost you more to buy than the Trd lip and more to fit and paint.

I'm not personally a fan of the TRD stuff, so my opinion would be biased, but I'd say go for the TTE bumper :)

I'm sure you've seen my car before, but here it is again:

199595788.jpg

I think that painting quote is a bit high to be honest - I paid £500 to have my bumper, rear skirt and rear lip painted and fitted by Lexus, and that was only because the bumper needed quite a bit of prepwork. It would have been quite a bit less if that hadn't have been the case.

I didn't have the washer holes cut out for 3 reasons:

1. Guy at bodyshop said they wouldn't do it as the washers would not sit as perfectly on the TTE bumper as they do on the normal one

2. I like the cleaner lines without the washers.

3. Car's never dirty enough to actually need the washers, and I hate it how they go off when the lights are on and you wash the windscreen, which just sprays water over the entire bonnet

It was a totally personal decision but just wanted to explain why I didn't have them re-fitted.

The newer bumpers (2005 onwards) were completely redone (and much better quality to be honest) and have the washer holes pre-cut into them. However, these bumpers retail at over £600 from Lexus, might bag a bargain on ebay if you're lucky but otherwise a hefty cost for what is essentially the same bumper.

Hi fellas just thought I'd let you know a fact or two on my car (2001 Sport), as I have the 2005 TTE bumper bought from eBay brand new factory painted 1C0 for £230 1 year ago, from a chap who sold his car and never put the bumper on. I won it as it was collection only and he lived near me. Anway:-

point 1 - The washer sit perfectly with no issue. cannot see why bodyshop guy made that comment.

point 2 - personal choice.

point 3 - I have a seperate switch to let the light washers go on. Lights do not have to be on and they definatley do not go on when the windscreen washer is used. The switch to control the light washers is next to the switch that controls the angel of the lights.

What year is your car.

The fact is I don't mind either and I wouldn't be disappointed to have one and not the other.

There's no right answer here it's all down to personal taste. (And ultimately once you've got a sport grille on there's not much difference between the two).

One thing to consider though: are you going for side skirts too? I really like the way the TRD lip matches the TRD skirts around the front arch in profile.

For me the TTE bumper doesn't need skirts but the TRD lip kinda cries out for them.

that's just me though. :)

Personally I prefer the TRD lip when you're fitting with the TRD sides and rear, because everything flows together properly then.

IMHO the TTE front and rear look better without the sideskirts as they flow better then.

Think I paid 500 quid to get the TRD rear and sides fitted and sprayed, along with the Blitz front lip, and that also included full respray of the entire front and rear bumpers, that was done at Lexus Sheffield

I would personaly got for the lip as i think it ties in better with the sirts, dont get me wrong i love the front tte bumper but if ur geting the skirts i think it would be the way to go. All down to personal choice though, currently thinking of getting a greddy one when i get round to it so my one ma be for sale if your not in a rush lol.

As said, personal choice really, I always thought there was something that didn't quite look right, where the grill on the tte bumper sits against the bonnet. Bit of a gap or something, but that photoshop further up the page looks pretty darn cool.

I wanted one with the full TRD kit as it all just ties in nicely and personally think it looks more factory fitted.

Hi fellas just thought I'd let you know a fact or two on my car (2001 Sport), as I have the 2005 TTE bumper bought from Ebay brand new factory painted 1C0 for £230 1 year ago, from a chap who sold his car and never put the bumper on. I won it as it was collection only and he lived near me. Anway:-

point 1 - The washer sit perfectly with no issue. cannot see why bodyshop guy made that comment.

point 3 - I have a seperate switch to let the light washers go on. Lights do not have to be on and they definatley do not go on when the windscreen washer is used. The switch to control the light washers is next to the switch that controls the angel of the lights.

What year is your car.

You've got the bumper with the pre-cut washer holes if you've got one of the newer ones. Mine is an earlier one without the holes - his argument was that although you can cut them out, it won't sit perfectly as it was never properly designed for it (despite the markings on the back). It was a choice I made, as I'm not really bothered about them anyway.

Sorry I don't think I was very clear with what I said about point 3 :blush:

What I meant was, that if the headlights are on, and you wash the windscreen, the first time you do this it also activates the headlight washers. I hated this as it just sprays water all over the bonnet. Yep there is the separate switch, but if the lights are on, it does this automatically.

Mine's a 2002 car, but I'm pretty sure they all do it :)

Hi fellas just thought I'd let you know a fact or two on my car (2001 Sport), as I have the 2005 TTE bumper bought from Ebay brand new factory painted 1C0 for £230 1 year ago, from a chap who sold his car and never put the bumper on. I won it as it was collection only and he lived near me. Anway:-

What year is your car.

You've got the bumper with the pre-cut washer holes if you've got one of the newer ones. Mine is an earlier one without the holes - his argument was that although you can cut them out, it won't sit perfectly as it was never properly designed for it (despite the markings on the back). It was a choice I made, as I'm not really bothered about them anyway.

Sorry I don't think I was very clear with what I said about point 3 :blush:

What I meant was, that if the headlights are on, and you wash the windscreen, the first time you do this it also activates the headlight washers. I hated this as it just sprays water all over the bonnet. Yep there is the separate switch, but if the lights are on, it does this automatically.

Thats really weird, mine does not spray the lights if I spray the windscreen with the lights on. Maybe I have a fault, a fault I guess I can live with. :o

Thats really weird, mine does not spray the lights if I spray the windscreen with the lights on. Maybe I have a fault, a fault I guess I can live with. :o

Mine doesnt spray lights unless i press the button too!?