Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What After Market Sat Nav Would You Recommend?

refLEX

Navman, had it nearly 3 years and still a great buy!

navman are really good for the money. tom toms are good too but bulky, if you want the handsfree Bluetooth stuff then the tom tom is very good at that.

Check compatability though first... :winky:

Need to buy a SAT NAV, really didnt want one of those that goes on the windscreen but looks like that is my only choice! what would you recommend?

Thanx

There are a couple of nice Garmins with Bluetooth included as well. If you are ever going to use it in Ireland then of the three (TomTom, Navman and Garmin) your only choice would be Garmin as they use Navteq maps which are now 100% here. the other two use Teleatlas who are way behind.

Need to buy a SAT NAV, really didnt want one of those that goes on the windscreen but looks like that is my only choice! what would you recommend?

Thanx

Like most things, it's a question of what you need/want.

I have tried Garmin and two different Tom Tom devices. I found Tom Tom the better of the two. It uses file types that are accessible to third party developers so that additional functions (such as regularly updated speed camera data bases) are readily (and inexpensively) available. Currently I have a 910, which uses a hard drive and USB access and comes with a very wide range of maps including virtually the whole of Europe, the USA and Canada.

No removable device can offer the neat convenience of a built in unit, and the 910 is not as effective as the Lexus 250 MM unit in regard to the Bluetooth handsfree telephone system, but in every other respect I find it more effective than the Lexus system. It offers full post-code search, 3D display and though its screen is smaller than the Lexus one it is far better laid out and offers better information-displayed options. Its maps are more up to date and its algorithms are better at route selection. Routes that the user has planned in detail can be saved and used again at a later date. It offers a simple system for backing up and restoring software and data to and from your PC.

There is a lot of good comparative information available at the website http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

I've used a TomTom One - it was my first introduction to SatNav and I have to say for the money it is a seriously impressive bit of kit.

A lot easier to master than the MM one in the Lexus (though obviously without the whistles and bells). The post-code programming is superb and, as opposed to the nannying Lexus one, you can reprogramme on the fly.

Works straight out of the box.

I bought a Mio 310. $399 AUD after cash back. Great little unit, only weighs 150gms. Only downside is the white case, like an ipod, which makes it stand out inside the car. So you need to take it with you when you park the car. But is small and light so fits in your shirt pocket, so is no big problem. Very easy to use, easy to follow instructions, plenty of warning for turns etc. Auto zoom on LCD screen for corners and roundabouts compensates for 3.5" screen.

http://www.mio-tech.com.au/products/gps/C310/default.asp

:offtopic:

I seem to have no luck with sat nav the 1st one I bought was A Gizmondo Co-pilot great bit of kit never let me down until the console broke I went to send it back under warrenty and the company had gone bust :crybaby:

So for my xmas present I bought me a road angel 6000 :) and it really likes the M40 the first time I used it was on my way to Glasgow and it just kept taking me up and down the same stretch of motorway endlesly

Now it likes to switch itself of half way through a journey :crybaby:

Time for a change me thinks :D