Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing The Clutch

Mr Mole

hi everyone just a quick question,i'm about to get a new clutch,but Lexus has quoted me £261.18 for the clutch and £282 for the labour (4 hours work at £70.50 an hour :excl: ) thought this was a bit steep for the labour charge. Any way my mechanic freind said he might do it but was not sure how much work was involved,so if anyone had some tips or even a step to step guide on doing it & if there was any problems to look out for that would be most helpfull thanks Mole

hi everyone just a quick question,i'm about to get a new clutch,but Lexus has quoted me £261.18 for the clutch and £282 for the labour (4 hours work at £70.50 an hour :excl: ) thought this was a bit steep for the labour charge. Any way my mechanic freind said he might do it but was not sure how much work was involved,so if anyone had some tips or even a step to step guide on doing it & if there was any problems to look out for that would be most helpfull thanks Mole

Had mine changed today, 4 hours is about right. Paid £135 that was including VAT and gearbox oil changed.

I came across a set of instructions a while back and made a copy. Don't remember who wrote them, but here they are. They only tell you how to remove the gearbox.

1. Remove upper console panel (the bit that goes around the gearstick,has the little cubby holes in it, you also need to remove the handbrake cover, just give it a tug)

2. remove the shift boot retainer, disconnect the 2 wire harness clamps,remove the 4 bolts, and the shift boot retainer

3. remove shift boot

4. remove gearstick

5. raise the vehicle

6. remove the engine covers

7. remove exhaust front pipe

8. disconnect the oxygen sensor

9. remove manifold lower stay

10. disconnect clutch release cylinder, and earth wire

11. remove the 7 bolts, and the LH/RH stiffner plates

12. disconnect the reversing light switch connector

13. disconnect speed sensor connector

14. jack up transmission slightly.and support using transmission jack

15. remove starter set bolt

16. remove the rear mount

17. remove propshaft

18. remove the 4 transmission/engine bolts

19. lower transmission downwards and 2 the right

My mate who used to work for Lexus said that he could change my clutch in 2 hours if i provided enough tea and biscuits!! :lol:

4 hours seems a bit OTT mate...i'd get that checked by another place first!

anyone who has done clutches before should not have a problem

a little easier been rear wheel drive

thanks 4 your help hopefully i'll have my car on the road in no long :D ,not sure if mate will do it not havin ramps etc,think i'll be goin 2 Lexus,Mole

went to replace my clutch, and was told by my local mechanic that the flywheel would need replacing soon too, i thought while the clutch was being replaced, i might as wel get the flywheel put in too, to save labour, and hassel in the future... however, the flywheel is only made by lexus themselves (even though BLUEPRINT, a separate company who make many other parts for a wide range of cars, and also make a clutch for the is200, they dont make a flywheel for it, and neither does any other company) and lexus quoted me £715 for a flywheel.......NOT FITTED!!! there goes the idea of fitting the flywheel then!! :tsktsk:

oh and your probably thinkin, well mate you bought a dodgy car.... Hmm... i disagree, 125,000 miles, with a full lexus service history (which i checked with lexus to see if it was genuine and not just a bought service book), and every receipt for anythin that was ever put onto the car in along with the service book

just goes to show you......

anyone who has done clutches before should not have a problem

a little easier been rear wheel drive

thanks 4 your help hopefully i'll have my car on the road in no long :D ,not sure if mate will do it not havin ramps etc,think i'll be goin 2 Lexus,Mole

defo need good ramps and jack

phone some local clutch peaple it is not a main dealer job just sounds a little expensive

just saw this dont know if it is any help

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-3-PIECE-CLUTCH-K...VQQcmdZViewItem

went to replace my clutch, and was told by my local mechanic that the flywheel would need replacing soon too, i thought while the clutch was being replaced, i might as wel get the flywheel put in too, to save labour, and hassel in the future... however, the flywheel is only made by lexus themselves (even though BLUEPRINT, a separate company who make many other parts for a wide range of cars, and also make a clutch for the is200, they dont make a flywheel for it, and neither does any other company) and lexus quoted me £715 for a flywheel.......NOT FITTED!!! there goes the idea of fitting the flywheel then!! :tsktsk:

oh and your probably thinkin, well mate you bought a dodgy car.... Hmm... i disagree, 125,000 miles, with a full lexus service history (which i checked with lexus to see if it was genuine and not just a bought service book), and every receipt for anythin that was ever put onto the car in along with the service book

just goes to show you......

Time for an uprated clutch and a lightened flywheel me thinks!! :lol: If the standard bits cost that much...get modified ones!! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links