Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If You're Over 27 And Have An Is250...

If you wouldn't mind, please post:

- Yearly insurance premium

- Excess

- Insurer

I'm looking for people with an IS250 SE and at least 10 years full license, no convictions/points, fully comp, zero no claims (no accidents, just had company cars previously) not living in an inner city.

Just trying to find out what the premium is likely to be - I've done a couple of quotes with Admiral etc (coming out around the £700 mark) but the supposed cheap ones like A-Plan all require registration and people calling you back etc. Hell of a hassle just to get a rough idea.

A rough guide would be great. Thanks!

- Excess

- Insurer

I'm looking for people with an IS250 SE and at least 10 years full license, no convictions/points, fully comp, zero no claims (no accidents, just had company cars previously) not living in an inner city.

Just trying to find out what the premium is likely to be - I've done a couple of quotes with Admiral etc (coming out around the £700 mark) but the supposed cheap ones like A-Plan all require registration and people calling you back etc. Hell of a hassle just to get a rough idea.

OK, I just got insurance for my 2005 IS250SE Auto with MM.

I'm 50, with only 3 years NCD, and have an SP40 from 3 years ago. Live in Aberdeen.

Best quotes I got for fully comp + 1 named driver (wife) via www.confused.com and www.insuresupermarket.com were with Sainsbury's, premium £234.

However, I then spotted that via the Quidco cashback site www.quidco.com (which I can highly recommend), I could currently get a massive £120 cashback if I went with Zurich Insurance. Their premium was £380.63, but with the £120 back from Quidco, the net cost is £260.63. Zurich seems to have a good reputation and I felt the Sainsbury deal was a bit too cheap, so am happy with what i got. The policy I took has a Standard excess £100 + Voluntary additional excess £150 = £250 total excess.

I'd also recommend you read this page, on the

moneysavingexpert.com website.

Thanks, that's very useful. Handy link too. Your excess is pretty much what I'd choose too, so it's a good indicator.

Anyone else able to share? Or is everybody on the site really, really young :) - I did spot a post by someone talking about saving £1000 on their premium :o

- Excess

- Insurer

Mines £290.75 fully comp which includes £10 Brokerage fee and £20 for legal expenses cover and uninsured loss recovery service. That's with 7 years NCB and price includes protected NCB, equivalent loaner car and also covers all the mods (wheels & lowering springs etc) .

Compulsory excess is £50 + £100 voluntary.

Insurer is Nig Insurance.(they also cover the IS200 Sport under a similar policy for £235)

Thanks, that's very useful. Handy link too. Your excess is pretty much what I'd choose too, so it's a good indicator.

Anyone else able to share? Or is everybody on the site really, really young :) - I did spot a post by someone talking about saving £1000 on their premium :o

I read that too, but I think it was for a modified car.

I went to confused.com and found that with the same details, some quotes were coming back with well over £1000 difference between them. I'm paying approx £700, hard to tell exactly as I've just changed so haven't paid a full year on the GS yet. That was with DirectLine.

Biggest thing really is where you live, your age and driving history. Even then, as a 31 year old with no points and no claims, 5 years bonus, an unmodified car and off-street parking, some companies really don't want the business of a group 17 car and price themselves up accordingly. Swiftcover.com (we're cheaper, no cluck-cluck, etc) wanted about £3k. They can *** right off!

But shop around and don't be afraid argue your case. I saved over £150 on my bike insurance last year by ringing up and telling them straight that if they wanted the business they'd have to better than that. Same company and everything, and that drop was off the renewal price on their own letter. I must admit I was surprised just how much they came down simply by asking them though...

- Excess

- Insurer

Just a thought, but is it possible to get your company to confirm that you haven't had any claims? My place will provide a reference letter detailing claim free period - don't know if or which insurers would accept this, but it might be worth a shot!

- Excess

- Insurer

Just a thought, but is it possible to get your company to confirm that you haven't had any claims? My place will provide a reference letter detailing claim free period - don't know if or which insurers would accept this, but it might be worth a shot!

That surprises me. I would have assumed that a letter like that was automatic every year.

Over here in Ireland a minimum of 20 days before your renewal date you must receive a "No Claims Certificate" stating how many years you are claims free. Including years with prior companies. This gives you the power to shop around using the right information. This letter is very important because even if you decide to renew you must return it to the insurance company.

- Excess

- Insurer

That surprises me. I would have assumed that a letter like that was automatic every year.

Over here in Ireland a minimum of 20 days before your renewal date you must receive a "No Claims Certificate" stating how many years you are claims free. Including years with prior companies. This gives you the power to shop around using the right information. This letter is very important because even if you decide to renew you must return it to the insurance company.

Oh yes, you'll normally get a letter from the insurance company - I was referring to the company/place of work that supplied the company cars (and presumably arranged the insurance cover too).

- Excess

- Insurer

Oh yes, you'll normally get a letter from the insurance company - I was referring to the company/place of work that supplied the company cars (and presumably arranged the insurance cover too).

I see. I can't see why they wouldn't accept it. Most insurance companies will take account of years as a named driver so I assume the same would apply for company policies.

As most of the people responding are not IS250 owners as politely asked for in thread #1 (!) I thought I'd stick my oar in too

£490 a year now, IS220d SE grp 14e, age 39, Full NCB, Legal, Class 1a business user, UL mileage, protected NCB, no claims since I passed in 1985. Living in a medium risk area and car is garaged. One other Named driver also covered for al above and £250 Excess (includes £150 voluntary).

I can get cheaper insurance, and save approx £200 if I really shop around. However, it's with Direct Line, and having driven over 400,000 miles without an accident/claim, I know my time is ripe for a major shunt and when I need the insurance company to pay out, it needs to be there, especially as the car is not a cheapo 2nd hand Focus...

I think that is the key - you insure your car not just to save money, but for it to be hassle free and painless when you need it...which is why I have been loathed to change it.

Having said that, this year I may be tempted to use Confuse.com when the renewal approaches...

Maybe I'm the mug...

I can get cheaper insurance, and save approx £200 if I really shop around. However, it's with Direct Line, and having driven over 400,000 miles without an accident/claim, I know my time is ripe for a major shunt and when I need the insurance company to pay out, it needs to be there, especially as the car is not a cheapo 2nd hand Focus...

I think that is the key - you insure your car not just to save money, but for it to be hassle free and painless when you need it...which is why I have been loathed to change it.

I completely agree. That's why I decided to go with the more expensive Zurich Insurance, rather than the Sainsbury's deal I found on Confused.com, as from reading comments on the web Zurich seems to have a good reputation. At the end of the day, you usually get what you pay for so I'd be very wary of just going for the lowest premium. Fortunately, with the Quidco deal giving me £120 back, Zurich was not nearly so much more expensive than Sainsbury's, so it was a no-brainer to go with the Zurich in my case :P

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful - at least I have an idea of price now. I was a bit concerned it would be extortionate being a V6, but apparently not.

Irritatingly I spent 20 mins filling out Confused.com last night but their site must have had a problem - I checked again today and zero quotes were returned.

Even more annoying, Zurich won't quote unless you have 2 years NCB! Their partner site (Endsleigh) just quoted me £1182!!! I forgot just how much of a PITA car insurance was.

Re: the company car thing, it doesn't really make a difference. Insurers take company car no-claims with a pinch of salt, and that's even if you can get a letter confirming it. It's not the same as a named driver. Plus it's a previous employer, I've been driving my wife's car for a few months.

Thanks again.

Having said that, this year I may be tempted to use Confuse.com when the renewal approaches...

Maybe I'm the mug...

If you do get a quote off them, go to the web site of the car company they recomend and 9 times out of 10 it's cheaper if not ring them up. Go direct, it's cheaper.

I've just renewed my insurance.

2006 IS250 SEL-MM Auto, 10000 miles per year, fully comp, 250 excess

with myself and my wife, with 2 claims in last two years, licenses clean

Cambridge area

Car on driveway

7 years NCD protected

£350 from esure.com

Nov 2005 IS250SE, 8000 miles per annum, Fully Comp, £200 Excess.

Myself & Wife, No Claims for 19+years. One SP30 4yrs ago (similar kudos now as an asbo). North Lincs & Garaged. Full protected No Claims for life with More Than.

£22.44 / Month. Takes some beating really and is a reputable company. (I hope).

Irritatingly I spent 20 mins filling out Confused.com last night but their site must have had a problem - I checked again today and zero quotes were returned.

Strange they normally give you 20 quotes in 2 mins

Not always best to go for the cheapest quote, like Jamboo i have driven 400,000 miles without a scratch and last week drove into the back of a lorry in my lovely Lexy. With the miles i do its bound to happen sometime. Esure not cheapeast but have a good customer service record and claims procedure. £11,000 bill ouch!

• 4 months later...

Two wrinklies, both 50+, retired, garaged overnight as are cars, over 10yrs ncb, no convictions/accidents over 10 years. 10,000 - 15000 miles a year. Whiter than white.

What should we be paying?

How much are you paying for your car Insurance?

Wow ;)

You are lucky guys...

As i have moved from Russia, there is a BIG problem to transfer my ncb / experience to local insurance company...

Finally, the cheapest that i have found - 1600 per year :(

29 years, Lexus 220D SE-L

Hope next years will be much cheaper :)

I'd give www.swiftcover.com a try...

On my IS200 got it down to about £600 from £900... very easy and no hassle...

As it's a couple of months down the road on this thread now, this may not help but if you take your motor abroad every now and then, then Swiftcover.com are not only cheap, but also have an arrangement where if you don't go abroad for more than 3 days at any one time, you get fully comp rather than 3rd party only without having to get your green card in advance. This assumes you have fully comp!

It's all on-line though, and I have had no experience of having a claim with them.

Hope this helps someone.