Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ride Comfort Wih 18" Wheels...

Sacred

I've got a white rs200.

Been looking at

These - http://www.topgear.co.uk/acatalog/4x_18_In..._With_Tyres.php

Or these - http://www.potn.co.uk/images/mito/KX-UDT.jpg

Question is, which do you think will look better on a white altezza. And also, what is the threshold at which I may be sacrificing ride comfort?

I have the stock altezza wheels which are 17" I believe, and very comfrotable.

What spec will I be looking at to maintain the ride comfort with 18" wheels.

225x40x18?

225x45x18?

I really just don't want low profile tyres as I've had them on my last two cars and I hate feeling every bump in the road...

I've got a white rs200.

Been looking at

These - http://www.topgear.co.uk/acatalog/4x_18_In..._With_Tyres.php

Or these - http://www.potn.co.uk/images/mito/KX-UDT.jpg

Question is, which do you think will look better on a white altezza. And also, what is the threshold at which I may be sacrificing ride comfort?

I have the stock altezza wheels which are 17" I believe, and very comfrotable.

What spec will I be looking at to maintain the ride comfort with 18" wheels.

225x40x18?

225x45x18?

I really just don't want low profile tyres as I've had them on my last two cars and I hate feeling every bump in the road...

Personally I prefer the TSW ones.

I'm running 235/35/18 and it can get pretty bumpy. I'd go for 225/40/18 (that's what most people on here tend to go for with their 18"s) and then you've still got room for drops of -50mm and more without rubbing.

HTH

PS - check what tyres come with them though - those bundles are usually budget tyres which is a big mistake. It's worth spending the xtra cash on good rubber.

225 40 18 here and never any probloms

sure u do feel a few more bumps but ive never had any probloms with potholes

im using good year eagle f1's

//edit

i did have one or 2 probloms with rubbing when my springs were ****** . once i got the new suspension tho it stopped

I've got 19" League rims and havent had any problems with comfort or rubbing. The arches are rolled a bit i'm told by the previous owner but TBH i never checked for sure.

The tyres are 225/35R19 Falken FK452s and are nice and quiet as well.

What sort of wheel pressures do ye use?

On the last set I had 215x35x18, with these I had a really noisy ride and it felt like I was banging rather than touching bumps and potholes.

This was on a Gen7 Celica (which hadn't been lowered)

The toyo tyres I can get with the TSW catalunya's are 225x40x18. Which I've looked up on a tyre size calculator and seems to be ok. I just like the ride the way it is now, and have been thinking about 17" wheels to heighten the possibility of having a better ride but the tyres that I can get with those wheels are 205x40x17, which would probably be worse than getting the 18's with what they have on them...

I know I can get other tyres put on but I don't want to have to.

So I think the 18" catalunya's should suit me...I've only seen one instance of these on a white rs200 and I thought they looked NICE.

On the Celica I had tyre pressures between 28-32 most of the time, usually around the 30 psi mark.

How would I know what the ideal tyre pressure would be if I had the TSW's on the Altezza?

Also, what are the recommended pressures for the Altezza's stock wheels?

I prefer the ride on my 19s to 17s.. I rub most of the time as i have a pretty extreme offset and drop combo...

sorry :offtopic: but blimey, Mr Singh is back. You haven't been around in a while? Should we expect an update on your tezza soon?

On the last set I had 215x35x18, with these I had a really noisy ride and it felt like I was banging rather than touching bumps and potholes.

This was on a Gen7 Celica (which hadn't been lowered)

Then you have this problem,

arm.jpg

arm2.jpg

Under rough road conditions or heavy load you will get that nasty bang. I get it quite often but i always avoid potholes/draincovers etc...

This problem can happen with any of the dual height adjustable coilovers (separate preload/height adjustor), but seems more prominent on the HKS/Greddy units which seem to have shorter shock bodys to increase suspension travel. What's happening is that the bumpstop on shock rod is not working as the limiting device and the upper a-arm is now the limiter (bad) because the shock body is too short to engage the bump stop before the upper a-arm runs out of travel.

What you need to do is to re-lengthen the shock body by changing the ride height adjustment. If you want to keep it at the same ride height, dial out some preload.

Where you running springs or coilovers?

I prefer the ride on my 19s to 17s.. I rub most of the time as i have a pretty extreme offset and drop combo...

sorry :offtopic: but blimey, Mr Singh is back. You haven't been around in a while? Should we expect an update on your tezza soon?

Hi.

Not much been done on the Altezza. I have bunch of parts to go on, few loose gremlins to fix and we should be good to go for mapping.

Cheers.