Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Contaminated Petrol?

Sagitar

I am watching the six o'clock news on BBC1 where they are reporting lots of people having oxygen sensor problems after buying petrol from Tescos or Morrisons.

My son had a sensor fail last week and his car is due to go in for service tomorrow. He had to wait because the parts were on back order. The garage did not mention contaminated petrol, but he will ask them to check tomorrow.

Anyone else?

It sounds like avoiding Tesco and Morrison is in order for the time being?

I am watching the six o'clock news on BBC1 where they are reporting lots of people having oxygen sensor problems after buying petrol from Tescos or Morrisons.

My son had a sensor fail last week and his car is due to go in for service tomorrow. He had to wait because the parts were on back order. The garage did not mention contaminated petrol, but he will ask them to check tomorrow.

Anyone else?

Just saw this glad i dont get petrol from tesco :)

Anyone else?

Saw the same myself....I wonder who their "independant supplier" is? I was under the impression that the supermarkets buy their petrol wholesale from the oil companies and punt it out slightly cheaper, this way they both win :yawn:

i never like buying petrol for any supermarkets or anything one that is not esso, bp , shell as i have had so many custermors that come in saying the cars ben running rough after they put fuel in at a supermarket i think i have two at the mo but i have had more problems with safeways/morrisons as they are closer

they will see the drop in people going in now even if it was not ture

i never like buying petrol for any supermarkets or anything one that is not esso, bp , shell as i have had so many custermors that come in saying the cars ben running rough after they put fuel in at a supermarket i think i have two at the mo but i have had more problems with safeways/morrisons as they are closer

they will see the drop in people going in now even if it was not ture

Supermarket fuel.Cheap, why ?

Always fill up on Texeco or Shell

I think the supplier in this particular case was Greenergy.

But then the fuel you buy from an Esso garage wasn't necessarily pulled out the ground by Esso - it's quite likely to have been extracted by Shell, refined by Conoco Philips, transported by Texaco, and then sold to you at the pumps by Esso. Or any combination of the above, with any combination of all the various oil companies. The final stage is to pop in the additive pack that makes up 'Shell unleaded' or whatever, but apart from that the basic mixture of hydrocarbons is the same wherever.

It's for that reason that petrol prices vary with oil prices, even though the extraction and refining costs remain the same - the oil is sold on after each stage of the process.

Also bear in mind that they can legally pop in 5% ethanol as it is... ethanol being contaminant in this case.

My Cousin filled up with morrisons fuel the other day and his celica has been sluggish since I have always filled up at morrisons as its the cheapest around, but I think ill stick to the local BP fuel from now on

My Cousin filled up with morrisons fuel the other day and his celica has been sluggish since I have always filled up at morrisons as its the cheapest around, but I think ill stick to the local BP fuel from now on

I am sure that Tesco's do get thier fuel from the main distributers, Esso I believe? As said above, if you fill up at BP you dont Necessarily get BP fuel. It depends on where the garage is and who is the closest supplier. Same with all the other garages. Used to fill up at Tesco's for ages until I got the S/C but found no real difference with Ultimate stuff. Only fuel I've ever noticed to be different is Shell optimax (now V-Power). Thats Brilliant!

Thats my theory anyway :)

what ever they put the the petrol it is killing so many cars i two people waiting for me at work with the fuel problem and then 5 people rang within 2 hours with the same fault

its good for me as its more money but i have so much work on at the mo i have had to say next week before i can look at it why cant these things happen when the motor trade is quite

Hi,

I did contact club last week, my apologies still having problems getting to terms with replying to these web sites, anyway my problems are I believe now due to petrol contamination. My original problem was I started the car and then there was no acceleration, it idled but would not move, it just crawled (by the way

I know the people responsible wont be Lexus drivers,but it is not nice to break down on a busy round a bout and have people waving fists at you and honking horns (maybe they don't like Lexus) . I did book the car

in for a diagnostic test with a local garage, but my car is a 7 year old and the computer equipment was to

modern!

Anyway in the last 2 weeks I have since put more petrol in the car and it has not given me a problem my

confidence has bee restored, but I know now it was the petrol, I might add I was infomed that the first indication of a problem with the petrol fault was that the engine management light stayed on, this happened to me.

regards

Jeanette

R

Looking at the news it is not just Tesco and Morrisons that have had duff fuel.

The thing that gets me is that garages are charging 100's to do a job that should cost no more than £60, generic sensor around £30 (+ mark up) and about tops 1/2 hour to fit :shutit:

The thing that gets me is that garages are charging 100's to do a job that should cost no more than £60, generic sensor around £30 (+ mark up) and about tops 1/2 hour to fit

that is the only problem some garages will put there prices up for the next couple of weeks to make the most of poeple not have much choice its like when we had the petrol shortages they put all the prices up

i am just clad that at work we don't do that but i bet that some country wide garages will

I am sure that Tesco's do get thier fuel from the main distributers, Esso I believe? As said above, if you fill up at BP you dont Necessarily get BP fuel. It depends on where the garage is and who is the closest supplier. Same with all the other garages. Used to fill up at Tesco's for ages until I got the S/C but found no real difference with Ultimate stuff. Only fuel I've ever noticed to be different is Shell optimax (now V-Power). Thats Brilliant!

Thats my theory anyway :)

Sorry but that's not correct. The majors refine their own, including mixing the additives and the distribution. The retailers like Tesco and Morrisons usually ship it in through an independent (in this case Greenergy?) and then mix whatever additives they use. Believe me, when you fill up at BP you get BP fuel.

Looks like the the culprit here is over dosing with silicone, used as a anti foaming agent.