Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte S/c Questions

Read in another thread that different spark plugs should be used with the Supercharger (22s instead of 20s).

Does that mean replacing them at the same time? Any other "hidden" costs involved in getting it fitted?

You dont have to, i ran mine for some mths with standard one's in :) then got the ik22, much better :D

No other hidden costs, some have pre-cats removed about £80- £100, and again, people have run with the pre-cats in for over 60k with no problems at all :)

Where can you get the pre-cats removed Gord? Forgot about that, not that I have any problems but sure it would free the flow up better.

Read in another thread that different spark plugs should be used with the Supercharger (22s instead of 20s).

Does that mean replacing them at the same time? Any other "hidden" costs involved in getting it fitted?

You dont have to, i ran mine for some mths with standard one's in :) then got the ik22, much better :D

No other hidden costs, some have pre-cats removed about £80- £100, and again, people have run with the pre-cats in for over 60k with no problems at all :)

Where can you get the pre-cats removed Gord? Forgot about that, not that I have any problems but sure it would free the flow up better.

Any garage can do it mate :D but you have to take the charger off to take the manifold off :o to get at them :winky:

Any garage can do it mate :D but you have to take the charger off to take the manifold off :o to get at them :winky:

Arrggghhhh with ya!

Did you remove your pre-cats Gord? Any problems in the MOT? Mpg any better/worse?

Sounds like it's a good idea to have it done at the same time then. Could it cause problems if it is not done?

What would Prolex charge to have it done at the same time as their supercharger installation offer, Dave?

What does that do with regard to emissions and noise?

I don't want a loud vehicle, I prefer subtle :winky: Any probs at MOT time with emissions?

Sounds like it's a good idea to have it done at the same time then. Could it cause problems if it is not done?

What would Prolex charge to have it done at the same time as their supercharger installation offer, Dave?

What does that do with regard to emissions and noise?

I don't want a loud vehicle, I prefer subtle :winky: Any probs at MOT time with emissions?

Noise = not much diff really :)

Emissions will still pass as you still have main cat in, just have to make sure main cat is hot at time of MOT :)

Cost, if you have it done at same time i think steve has charged £85 in the past, not 100% on that one :duh: can ask for you ? but steve is on a track day today :D

Arrggghhhh with ya!

Did you remove your pre-cats Gord? Any problems in the MOT? Mpg any better/worse?

Well had my cats in for about 17k when one went pop :o so took them out, but when lexus did the work to my engine, new manifold was put on :o so cats back in :lol: then sold car :o

No problems with MOT at all :D passed with ease on that one :winky:

Making me a bit nervous now..... :o What do the garages actually do Gord? Whats involved in removing them? If you know?

Cheers

They just open the housing, remove the cats then weld back up afaik

As Lee says :winky: some have never removed them mate :D i think zee did over 60k with no problems at all :D

Making me a bit nervous now..... :o What do the garages actually do Gord? Whats involved in removing them? If you know?

Cheers

They just open the housing, remove the cats then weld back up afaik

As Lee says :winky: some have never removed them mate :D i think zee did over 60k with no problems at all :D

Aido also never removed them.

That's right fella, I did about 30k with the charger and the precats, no issues whatsoever :)

There was occasionally an eggy smell but that was just me :lol:

Doesn't sound like it needs to be done then. What sort of advantage is there in having it done? Any BHP gains? And what sort of gain would you get putting in a K&N filter rather than the standard TTE one?

Doesn't sound like it needs to be done then. What sort of advantage is there in having it done? Any BHP gains? And what sort of gain would you get putting in a K&N filter rather than the standard TTE one?

You might get little bit of bhp, but not much :duh: K&N filter better than standard one, again not much bhp :)

As said, you can leave the cat's in :) im the only one i know of, that the pre cat went :lol:

Steve at Charlesworth removed mine. I did it for piece of mind. Not at the same time as he fitted my S/C but it was very cheap anyway. Apparently there is no increase in performance or anything. But I thought it felt a bit pokier after having it done.

As Gord says performance filter will give small increase in BHP but it'll be about the same as fitting an induction kit.

Just put one in tonight, noticed it was slighlty better response. Will monitor it closely over the weekend. :D

Just put one in tonight, noticed it was slighlty better response. Will monitor it closely over the weekend. :D

How's the motor sound now Kaz any louder? I've always had K&N think they sound nice. :)

Errrmmmm not made a massive amout of difference as the S/C is loud anyway :lol:

I had a K&N panel filter before I supercharged mine and it want realy any louder either mate. Id imagine you could possibly get better mpg though.

I did about 10 or 15k with the manifold cats still there when I first installed my S/C.

Then I bought a de-catted manifold (apparently mat's old TTE one) and have been running that the past 10k or so.

No difference power-wise, slightly different noise wise (sounds a bit rattly).

I changed mine purely for peace of mind...

I did about 10 or 15k with the manifold cats still there when I first installed my S/C.

Then I bought a de-catted manifold (apparently mat's old TTE one) and have been running that the past 10k or so.

So what you folks are saying then, in essence is not to waste money on a after marking de-catted manifold?

So what you folks are saying then, in essence is not to waste money on a after marking de-catted manifold?

All i'm saying is don't rush out and get a de-catted manifold. Your car won't blow up instantly ;)

Your car won't blow up instantly ;)

Crikey, seems like we've opened the stable door here lol.

Basically, the pre-cats are removed to serve what purpose?

They hardly increase the sound according to Gord.

By leaving them in are you delaying something that could potentially happen?

Jamie

The supercharger runs hotter that standard car so pre-cat get hotter, and can go :o i say can, as others have done miles and miles with them in :D with no problems at all :D

Now some take them out to be safe :D

Your car will not blow up, if you leave them in :D at worst 1 or both will go, then just take them out :D

As for sound not that much diff, as Nick has said :D

There is a difference between a decatted manifold and a proper race manifold which doesn't have the precats in - the race manifold like the ones that Prolex and TDi sell does increase performance quite a bit.

From one of Mark's old posts, he said that you need something additional to the standard manifold when decatted, a pulse pipe or something, but a lot of the original cars they did never had this done, Barrie I think was one example, and his was fine :)

Thom's car sounded awesome under WOT when a race manifold was fitted :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links