Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte S/c Questions

Good evening all,

I have a few questions regarding the supercharger and wondered if anyone can help clear them up for me:

• Fuel Consumption (Driver dependant?)
  • Engine Reliability & Strength
  • Further Upgrades Required? Pistons, Valve Springs, Injectors etc.
  • Maintenance Of The Supercharger
  • Permanent Fixture / Removable
  • Servicing - Changes?
  • Supercharger Belt - Replacement?
  • Stress On Other Components
  • ECU Soldering - removeable afterwards?
  • Is an intercooler part of the kit (judging from the pictures)? Is this an addition to the radiator or a replacement? Where is it located?

Some of these questions may sound quite simple but I would really like to gain a good insight into this engine upgrade before I consider investing.

If anyone can think of anything else I should know, please feel free to add...

Many thanks,

Jamie

Good evening all,

I have a few questions regarding the supercharger and wondered if anyone can help clear them up for me:

• Fuel Consumption (Driver dependant?)
  • Engine Reliability & Strength
  • Further Upgrades Required? Pistons, Valve Springs, Injectors etc.
  • Maintenance Of The Supercharger
  • Permanent Fixture / Removable
  • Servicing – Changes?
  • Supercharger Belt – Replacement?
  • Stress On Other Components
  • ECU Soldering - removeable afterwards?
  • Is an intercooler part of the kit (judging from the pictures)? Is this an addition to the radiator or a replacement? Where is it located?

Some of these questions may sound quite simple but I would really like to gain a good insight into this engine upgrade before I consider investing.

Many thanks,

Jamie

* Yes driver dependent. If you drive normally you might find a slight improvement

* Same as normall

* No further upgrades required. (Although most remove pre-cats from the manifold too, to prevent possible future breakup)

* No maintenance required. Its a sealed unit.

* Easily removable to put back to standard if you still have standard parts.

* No changes to servicing

* Can replace belt every so many thousand miles (cant remember exact amount)

* Nope

* Yeah also removable

* Intercooler is part of the kit. Sits below rad.

Get one mate. They're loads of fun and you wont regret it :winky:

lol, thanks for the replies. I was speaking to Lee and Gord about this and was saying that everyone's response to this seems the same:

"Go for it! You won't regret it! It's the best move you could make!"

I've never known so many positive comments on a product before - it's incredible. I don't think I've heard a bad word yet.

Jamie

I do regret the fact that I have never supercharged my IS200 :( The only thing stopping me is insurance. I have been in Gord's IS200 S/C a few times and it was certainly rapid.

Before you get too excited, please check what your insurance company says. :angry: I was going to get one last year when Prolex and TDI were selling them for £1750+ fitting for a brief period.

Hopefully they are fine and then its all systems go! :D (along with uprated suspension and brakes and exhaust and airfilter..... :shifty: IT NEVER ENDS! :P)

I've checked with the insurance thieves and to be honest, it's a pretty good result, so it is all systems go :D

Can't be announcing to la familia that it's being fitted as I sort of vowed that the Lex wouldn't follow suit from the Focus.... and it won't :whistling:

I miss the exhaust sound so maybe toward next year we'll see. I was gonna get the TRD kit after asking for comments and pics, but that will now take a back seat until the s/c has taken it's position :D

Jamie

only thing you should check every now and then is that the hose clamps between all the pipe connections for the SC are tight as they do work loose over time but this will happen to any hose clamp that is subject to vibration. The SC at max output delivers 0.3 Bar so any leak somewhere will have a noticable effect.

Right I see thanks. Another question, is the rev limit raised with the application of the Supercharger?

Jamie

No

Unless you pay extra for the TTE Silver piggy back ecu or HKS piggy back ecu.

Right I see thanks. Another question, is the rev limit raised with the application of the Supercharger?

Jamie

No

Unless you pay extra for the TTE Silver piggy back ecu or HKS piggy back ecu.

dont think you will still raise the rev limiter think only the v-pro has that capability

but then its cams etc etc

Jamie

No

Unless you pay extra for the TTE Silver piggy back ecu

I also wasn't aware that the Silver raised the limit. Are you positive on that?

the SILVER ecu lowers the rev limit by approx 50 rpm to 6200, this prevents the engine from reaching the cut out limit and thus prevents unburnt fuel going into the manifold and in turn damaging the pre catalitic converters, it also has ( i believe) some fault monitoring functions

the SILVER ecu lowers the rev limit by approx 50 rpm to 6200, this prevents the engine from reaching the cut out limit and thus prevents unburnt fuel going into the manifold and in turn damaging the pre catalitic converters, it also has ( i believe) some fault monitoring functions

Your a fountain of knowledge Rob! And you Matt!

Whats these things cost then? So, what your saying then, in theory although they lower the Rpm they will be better?

AFAIK the cost is in the region of £400 or it might have been €400 ??? a lowering of 50 rpm will not be noticed by anyone so thats not an issue.

the cheaper alternative is the HKS FCD and thats about £100 from tdi.

they are better as they dont tend to fail compared to the basic black ecu.

• 2 weeks later...

Read in another thread that different spark plugs should be used with the Supercharger (22s instead of 20s).

Does that mean replacing them at the same time? Any other "hidden" costs involved in getting it fitted?

Read in another thread that different spark plugs should be used with the Supercharger (22s instead of 20s).

Does that mean replacing them at the same time? Any other "hidden" costs involved in getting it fitted?

You dont have to, i ran mine for some mths with standard one's in :) then got the ik22, much better :D

No other hidden costs, some have pre-cats removed about £80- £100, and again, people have run with the pre-cats in for over 60k with no problems at all :)