Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 350 Fuel Economy

Filled up the RX near Swindon today with BP Ultimate 97 and tootled down the motorway to Bracknell at dot on 70 mph. Lo and Behold!! Trip computer shows 30.4 mpg - hurrah!!! :D

Well chuffed I can tell you!

The RX has really loosened up now (5000 miles) so I get about 20 on short urban journeys and as per this post 30+ on motorway so the claimed 25 mpg combined looks pretty accurate.

The RX has really loosened up now (5000 miles) so I get about 20 on short urban journeys and as per this post 30+ on motorway so the claimed 25 mpg combined looks pretty accurate.

my 53 rx 300 sel averages 20 mpg.....I dont do the figures any more, it upsets me!

had the hybrid for a month and averaged 26mpg

Also, did anybody know that Lexus will only make hybrids from 2012!

:sick:

Have been running our RX300 SE (03/03) on 'regular' and then on Optimax. Can't say I've noticed much difference with Shell Optimax - although on both fuels the RX does 21MPG (in town) 25MPG'ish (long distance).

Will try the BP Ultimate stuff just for curiosities sake. Our E46 330i ran much better and gave more MPG on Optimax, was hoping the same for the RX, but so far, nada :P

Think I'll stay far far away from Tesco fuel 99RON or not ;)

Got 70-odd miles before next fill up and if I can dig out my Nectar points card, will fill up the RX with BP Ultimate for a couple of tankfuls and see what difference that makes. There is a aprt of me that hopes that Ultimate wont make much difference because then I can rationalise putting in 'regular' grade fuel and save the cost.

But I'd happily chuck in premium grade fuel if it makes a difference, interestingly enough though, Lexus say the RX isn't designed to run on premium fuel, regular is just fine - consdiering it has a V6 petrol I would have thought it would be designed to run on premium...

A pattern appears to be emerging - short journeys it matters not a jot what fuel you use. RX will gobble it at about 18-20 mpg. decent motorway journey it definitely appears worth sticking Super in.

Was sickened to see the computer saying 10mpg when I picked up my new RX 350 last Saturday!! A weekend of driving like a nun moved the figure up to 19mpg!

Anyone know when a RX 350 should be fully run in and giving it's best fuel wise? Says "do not exceed 4000 rpm for the 1st 1200 miles" in the book...

Was sickened to see the computer saying 10mpg when I picked up my new RX 350 last Saturday!! A weekend of driving like a nun moved the figure up to 19mpg!

All brand new cars will give crappy mileage initially - gotta let the engine loosen up!

Hi - I've just joined this forum having taken delivery of my first Lexus last week, One year old RX400h & after 5 years of an XK8 I'm reallt impressed with the mpg and the performance.

A 20 mile drive into central London on Sunday yielded 34 mpg! Amazing.... The old car would have delivered about 19mpg.

And it seems to average about 31 - which is about the same as my wife's BMW Mini One.

So far the Lexus experience has been very good.

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Clearly I haven't been reading the comments from fellow Forum Members closely :P I have been driving our RX300 @ 80MPH (cruise set and SatNav verified) and been getting 21/23MPG - regardless of the grade of fuel I have out in.

Quite by chance I set cruise to 70MPH, filled up the tank with regular Shell Unleaded and did a trip to MK - LGW - MK. I thought nothing of the speed and don't really know why I set the cruise @ 70MPH. I was stunned to see the car return (according to the on board computer) 28MPG. I am the first to rubbish figures offered by the OBC - but having completed numerous brim to brim fill ups find the OBC is more often than not about 0.5MPG out of the 'real' figure. So even if I give the OBC a 1MPG differential, the car has (potentially) returned 27MPG on regular. Now reading through this thread again, I see that your 'best' figures are @ about 70MPH.

Wish I had read that bit more closely and I would have gotten better MPG :) - OK I didn't buy this thing for fuel economy...but to get close to 30MPG is better than the 22MPG I have been getting when on the motorways. I'm now going to chuck in premium unleaded and record my results.

The RX can be quite economical if you try but the mpg trails off very steeply as speed rises. Knowing this now I allow a little more time for my journeys and just tootle along at 70mph. less stress and less cost :D Amazing how the type of vehicle changes your driving style - when I had my GS i drove like my trousers were on fire all the time! :P

The record has been broken again!!! :)

m1 today filled up with Shell V-Power and averaged 32.6 mpg at average 61mph for 67 miles :D

Engine runs like a dream on this stuff and even on short journeys later mpg still reads 27.6

The record has been broken again!!! :)

m1 today filled up with Shell V-Power and averaged 32.6 mpg at average 61mph for 67 miles :D

Engine runs like a dream on this stuff and even on short journeys later mpg still reads 27.6

Oh well,not quite as good as my 37mpg on a 160 mile run last year for my 400h.I always have use Shell V-Power(or Optimax as was-I think it is great).

I can routinely get 31 to 32 mpg without trying,as long as you don't give it too many blasts to take advantage of the low to mid range torque available in the 400h.

Anyway,I don't believe many of us buy these cars for their fuel economy,so who's counting?

No we didn't buy these cars for economies sake - but we do expect a certain level of economy/performance/efficiency - after all effiiency is one of the key selling points of the RX :)

I am keen to see what ours will return ...

Just out of interest for those that might be interested:

Miles: 295

Fuel: 52L (Regular Unleaded)

MPG: 25.75

OBC: 26.2 MPG

And that was cruise set @ 70 MPH (SatNav verified) ... so looks like ours is broadly returning the expected figures. I'm going to run more figures through on 'standard' unleaded before I stretch to premium - but if I cna get 30MPG (or plus ...) then I'd be well chuffed :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are another set of figures:

Miles: 305

Fuel: 54L (Regular Unleaded)

MPG: 25.68

OBC: 27.3 MPG

And that was cruise set @ 70 MPH (SatNav verified) ... well chuffed :)