Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Induction Kit Or Performance Air Filter?

GreyArea

The fuel economy on my IS200 sucks so I thought it was about time to replace the air filter. However, I thought that if I did, I'd go for something like a K&N performance one, or an induction kit. How much difference to the acceleration will an induction kit make, compared to a performance air filter, or is it more about how much noise it makes? :lol: If I was to go for an induction kit, any recommendations on type, and how easy are they to fit?

Sadly I don't have £1800 lying about, or I'd go for the supercharger!

Simon

I didn't try a performance air filter but I did have an induction kit on my IS200 and it did make it a bit more responsive and had a lovely sound. I noticed the difference when I had it fitted and when I took it off to sell the car I noticed the car was slower. If it made any improvement to economy then it was too small to notice.

I think my economy is down to the filter being old! I was just interested to see if the induction kit offers better acceleration than something like a K&N standard filter, really.

My induction kit is the best on the market..............the others go over the exhaust manifold....lots of hot air.............which defeats the object !

Agreed :D had mine on for over a year now, am still v-happy with it! with a Kazama and higher grade fuel (v-power/ultimate) its excellent! Not forgetting my heat shield. :winky:

Don't forget that the Apexi filter on the Prolex induction kit is reusable, i have recharged mine using the K&N cleaning kit and all is good.

I believed that the induction kit may slightly increase the bhp, but actually loses torque??

Therefore, if you want more ponies....go for induction kit............if you want more torque......go for K&N filter :)

i may be wrong, but i'm sure i had heard/read that somewhere before

My induction kit is the best on the market..............the others go over the exhaust manifold....lots of hot air.............which defeats the object !

So, on an otherwise unmodded is200, what effect will your induction kit have? And, how easy is it to fit? I'm reasonably competent mechanically, but I'm more used to working on diesel turbos, than modern petrol engines!

They are easy to fit from past experience, but I'm sure I've heard that on the IS you have to do something with the MAF?? Maybe someone can clear this up?

Jamie

IS 200 doesn't have a MAF sensor.

All i can say that with my Apexi induction kit fitted to my RS it adds lots of growl and no extra bhp, a bit more responsive in 3rd/4th gear but thats, Got it dyno'ed yesterday and there was a dip in torque because thekit was fitted. I was recommended to get a Apexi Neo. that would help sort this problem. THere was only 2bhp in the difference between mine and Dizz' which has a HKS panel filter. so maybe just a replacement panel filter would be best

Right ok. Is there some other type of sensor that has to be re-fitted to an aftermarket induction kit then?

J

Think you might be getting mixed up with the Altezza which has a MAF sensor?

induction kits are only really any good if the filter is enclosed within a space which is fed cool air.

All i can say that with my Apexi induction kit fitted to my RS it adds lots of growl and no extra bhp, a bit more responsive in 3rd/4th gear but thats, Got it dyno'ed yesterday and there was a dip in torque because thekit was fitted. I was recommended to get a Apexi Neo. that would help sort this problem. THere was only 2bhp in the difference between mine and Dizz' which has a HKS panel filter. so maybe just a replacement panel filter would be best

only the TRD works induction kit has been proven to actually work on the Altezza

induction kits are only really any good if the filter is enclosed within a space which is fed cool air.

only the TRD works induction kit has been proven to actually work on the Altezza

Cheers Mat i also have the Apexi aluminium box enclosing the filter. Would this be enough to give it some cold air or should i run some air ducting into the box somehow?

• 2 weeks later...

Is this true? that if you get an induction kit the Torque goes down? and if u get a filter the torque goes up a bit?

I believed that the induction kit may slightly increase the bhp, but actually loses torque??

Therefore, if you want more ponies....go for induction kit............if you want more torque......go for K&N filter :)

i may be wrong, but i'm sure i had heard/read that somewhere before

• 3 weeks later...

i have a apexi neo around no use. was going to put it on my other car but then decided not to

pm me if u are interested!

Right ok. Is there some other type of sensor that has to be re-fitted to an aftermarket induction kit then?

J

If you have an IS200, then the 'temperature' sensor has too be taken out the original airbox and put into the hole in the induction kit piping, make sure you take out the little rubber gromit it fits into too.