Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More Satnav Questions

Well my IS250SE got it's first thorough clean inside and out at the weekend and I can't stop swooning at it ever since :lol:

Anyway, I have a couple of things I can't figure out with the Satnav, so I'm hoping some of you experts can help.........

1. When I picked up the car at Lexus Leicester the voice activation for "I'm hungry", "Chinese restaurants" etc. worked fine. (I know this cos the dealer wasn't aware of the "I'm hungry" one and was most impressed when I showed him it - I'm sure he'll be using that one in his future demos to customers!). However, whenever I've tried it since I got back to Aberdeen it never works. Now I know it has understood the command as the map displays "Restaurants" in the grey box at top, but it also responds "Unable to display. Please delete a selected POI". And before you say maybe there's no nearby restaurants in the wilds of Aberdeen (!!!) there are, and if I just go through the POI options in the Destination menu it lists plenty nearby. Same problem if I say "Hotels". I added quite a few memory points on the way back from Leicester (see Q2) but it shows I've got lots of spare memory points left, and anyway I don't think the "memory points" have anything to do with the POIs. Only other thing I've done, which might be significant, is selecting various categories of POIs to be displayed on the map. I selected: All restaurants; Hotels, Petrol stations, Lexus; and I think that's about it.
    Has anyone got any ideas why the voice activation feature for POIs is no longer working for me :question:
  2. From reading another post recently, I understood you could enter speed cameras, by using the "mark" command when you pass them, and then subsequently going back and editing your memory points to change the description/icon etc. So on my way back to Aberdeen I marked most of the many Gatsos on the A90. I've since gone to edit those memory points. I've changed the title to say "Gatso 70MPH"; have added a new icon, and set the audible alert option. I have tried the standard audio alerts (e.g. xylophone) and also tried the directional audio alert which allows you to choose the direction - which sounds like it would be the ideal one to use for speed cameras. However, whilst the memory points are displayed on my map with the icon, whenever I pass the locations there's absolutely no alert - no audio - nothing :crybaby:
    So what am I doing wrong, and how is this supposed to work? And how close to the memory point should the audible alert sound :question:

Cheers.

Well my IS250SE got it's first thorough clean inside and out at the weekend and I can't stop swooning at it ever since :lol:

Anyway, I have a couple of things I can't figure out with the Satnav, so I'm hoping some of you experts can help.........

1. When I picked up the car at Lexus Leicester the voice activation for "I'm hungry", "Chinese restaurants" etc. worked fine. (I know this cos the dealer wasn't aware of the "I'm hungry" one and was most impressed when I showed him it - I'm sure he'll be using that one in his future demos to customers!). However, whenever I've tried it since I got back to Aberdeen it never works. Now I know it has understood the command as the map displays "Restaurants" in the grey box at top, but it also responds "Unable to display. Please delete a selected POI". And before you say maybe there's no nearby restaurants in the wilds of Aberdeen (!!!) there are, and if I just go through the POI options in the Destination menu it lists plenty nearby. Same problem if I say "Hotels". I added quite a few memory points on the way back from Leicester (see Q2) but it shows I've got lots of spare memory points left, and anyway I don't think the "memory points" have anything to do with the POIs. Only other thing I've done, which might be significant, is selecting various categories of POIs to be displayed on the map. I selected: All restaurants; Hotels, Petrol stations, Lexus; and I think that's about it.
    Has anyone got any ideas why the voice activation feature for POIs is no longer working for me :question:
    I can help with the first one, as I experienced similar after gleefully shouting various things at the sat nav when I first got mine! Basically you can only select to show a few different categories of POI to show on screen at any one time, and you've selected too many. You'll need use the "old-fashioned" touchscreen method to remove a few.

I can help with the first one, as I experienced similar after gleefully shouting various things at the sat nav when I first got mine! Basically you can only select to show a few different categories of POI to show on screen at any one time, and you've selected too many. You'll need use the "old-fashioned" touchscreen method to remove a few.

Ah, that explains it. OK, I'll try deleting some. Does anyone know what the max number of POIs are that can be displayed before this problem kicks in?

[*]From reading another post recently, I understood you could enter speed cameras, by using the "mark" command when you pass them, and then subsequently going back and editing your memory points to change the description/icon etc. So on my way back to Aberdeen I marked most of the many Gatsos on the A90. I've since gone to edit those memory points. I've changed the title to say "Gatso 70MPH"; have added a new icon, and set the audible alert option. I have tried the standard audio alerts (e.g. xylophone) and also tried the directional audio alert which allows you to choose the direction - which sounds like it would be the ideal one to use for speed cameras. However, whilst the memory points are displayed on my map with the icon, whenever I pass the locations there's absolutely no alert - no audio - nothing :crybaby:

So what am I doing wrong, and how is this supposed to work? And how close to the memory point should the audible alert sound :question:

I use this for my "local" speed cameras and it works a treat. The only problem I had was making sure the direction was correct - from memory you have to rotate the arrow to point along the road in the direction you will be travelling. When it works you get a ding dong sound as you approach the camera (about an 1/8 of a mile I think), however, you wont hear it if your music is too loud.

It would be nice if you could change the distance at which the sounds goes off as I'd like it a bit nearer to the camera.

[*]From reading another post recently, I understood you could enter speed cameras, by using the "mark" command when you pass them, and then subsequently going back and editing your memory points to change the description/icon etc. So on my way back to Aberdeen I marked most of the many Gatsos on the A90. I've since gone to edit those memory points. I've changed the title to say "Gatso 70MPH"; have added a new icon, and set the audible alert option. I have tried the standard audio alerts (e.g. xylophone) and also tried the directional audio alert which allows you to choose the direction - which sounds like it would be the ideal one to use for speed cameras. However, whilst the memory points are displayed on my map with the icon, whenever I pass the locations there's absolutely no alert - no audio - nothing :crybaby:

I use this for my "local" speed cameras and it works a treat. The only problem I had was making sure the direction was correct - from memory you have to rotate the arrow to point along the road in the direction you will be travelling. When it works you get a ding dong sound as you approach the camera (about an 1/8 of a mile I think), however, you wont hear it if your music is too loud.

It would be nice if you could change the distance at which the sounds goes off as I'd like it a bit nearer to the camera.

Yes, I've tried setting it up with the directional option (configured exactly as you have described) and also with one of the non-directional audible alerts, BUT as I said, I have never had an audible alert yet when I pass the camera location as saved in my memory points. Can you please give a step-by-step description of exactly how you have configured this, or suggest any reason why it might not be working for me :question:

Yes, I've tried setting it up with the directional option (configured exactly as you have described) and also with one of the non-directional audible alerts, BUT as I said, I have never had an audible alert yet when I pass the camera location as saved in my memory points. Can you please give a step-by-step description of exactly how you have configured this, or suggest any reason why it might not be working for me :question:

Thanks to all for suggestions - I think I've now solved both problems :D

I reduced the amount of POIs displayed by default, and I can now use the voice activation for "I'm hungry" etc.

I also seem to have got the audible alerts working on my speed camera memory points. I think problem was I was too close to the one (near my house) I was testing it on. It seems to go off about half a mile before the memory point and I was closer than that - but it worked for me today when I approached it from further away.

2. From reading another post recently, I understood you could enter speed cameras, by using the "mark" command when you pass them, and then subsequently going back and editing your memory points to change the description/icon etc. So on my way back to Aberdeen I marked most of the many Gatsos on the A90. I've since gone to edit those memory points. I've changed the title to say "Gatso 70MPH"; have added a new icon, and set the audible alert option. I have tried the standard audio alerts (e.g. xylophone) and also tried the directional audio alert which allows you to choose the direction - which sounds like it would be the ideal one to use for speed cameras. However, whilst the memory points are displayed on my map with the icon, whenever I pass the locations there's absolutely no alert - no audio - nothing :crybaby:

Cheers.

Hi,

I wonder whether there is voice recognition for the following instruction: "This satellite navigation system is so much crap. Please turn yourself off for ever, otherwise I am going to have an accident. I will continue to stop at the kerb-side and use a map that will not send me in the wrong direction. If I want to find a restaurant in Aberdeen I will ask friends or look in the yellow pages. Thank you very much. Now close down for ever." Would it respond to that do you think? It may be the your best course of action.

John