Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Iv only bought this car yesterday but already i can tell something is wrong with it as there is virtually no pickup on it what so ever, especially at motorway speeds.

Trying to overtake some one at 70Mph and i will have better luck if i got out and pushed the thing. If i floor it i can feel the gears changing down but the acceleration is very slow.

Standard on these cars is 220Bhp, this seems to run like it has about 70Bhp. As a matter of fact on an uphill climb on the M62 motorway it actually started losing speed!!! :o

This is NOT what i was expecting from a 3.0 V6.

The car is LPG converted but could that REALLY be killing the performance by that much???

Or could it something more like a MAF sensor or something.

Please help before i burn it.

As the pimp man said realy,

Is the CEL light on? orange light shaped like a gear box under the rev counter

No, the only light on is the the little symbol of the car with the rear lights on. Dont know if that would be doing anything to hamper performance?

Get the diagnostic codes read. If no codes appear, just do a basic service and see if that helps.

Can i read these at home or is it a garage or dealer only thing?

I know in most cars codes can be read at home by usually connecting 2 pins somewhere, usually by a paperclip, and then counting the flashes on the dash board. Anything similiar on this car?

Might be worth resetting the ECU (remove EFI and ECTS fuses for 30 seconds, refit them, then leave key turned in the ignition for 6 minutes otherwise the car will turn over but not start).

Might be worth resetting the ECU (remove EFI and ECTS fuses for 30 seconds, refit them, then leave key turned in the ignition for 6 minutes otherwise the car will turn over but not start).

Some one else has also suggested resetting the ECU may do the trick. Nobody however had said anything about leaving the key turned in the ignition for 6 minutes.

Ah, I didn't notice the LPG bit. What's performance like when running on petrol?

I dunno!!!

Iv only had it a couple of days and havnt really driven it much yet. Havnt ran it on petrol yet but if that solves it then i guess i know where my answer lies.

BUT . . . . having said that, iv read in plenty of places now that theres no real difference in performance wether running it on petrol OR LPG.

Even Daniels seems to have enough power on LPG, mine seems to feel like its driven on a 9V Battery! :crybaby:

I think il take it out in abit and run it solely on petrol and see if that improves things, somehow i get the feeling it wont.

Some one else has also suggested resetting the ECU may do the trick. Nobody however had said anything about leaving the key turned in the ignition for 6 minutes.

you don't need to leave the ignition on for 6 mins.

On mine, if you don't do that it won't start. Sticker on the fusebox to that effect, too.

Ok, just went out and ran it solely on petrol for a while. However no noticeable difference in power was noticed.

Didnt take it on the motorway like the day i bought it, as thats where it was REALLY slow.

So the LPG theory can be discounted.

Going back out to check the Air Filter and perhaps disconnect the Battery.

Does any one know if these cars have a MAF? And can this cause performance issues?

On mine, if you don't do that it won't start. Sticker on the fusebox to that effect, too.

Only need to do the 6 min thing if you disconnect the Battery, if you just pull the ecu fuses it will start straight away

Yep, only pulled the fuses for a couple of minutes and it started straight away.

Now got to find out how to put the bloody code back in the radio. Anyone?

Mine has had similar problems and they have been partly resolved by a new distributor cap and rotor arm. I do know I need a new set of leads but the price is a bit scary and they aint as simple to swap as most cars due to the :tsktsk: throttle body.

I have also got my car booked in at the place the LPG system was installed for service as that is supposed to be done annually :blush:

Mine has had similar problems and they have been partly resolved by a new distributor cap and rotor arm. I do know I need a new set of leads but the price is a bit scary and they aint as simple to swap as most cars due to the :tsktsk: throttle body.

I have also got my car booked in at the place the LPG system was installed for service as that is supposed to be done annually :blush:

On mine the LPG was serviced last year and the next service date is 2011. I thought it would have been sooner than that but according to the paperwork its about every 5 years.

Iv taken it out again after disconnecting the ECU and although a bit rough to start with it seemed to get better with the driving. So i was right, these do have a learning type ECU aswell. :D

Did an experiment whilst i was out though. Held steady at 60 Mph and then floored it. Timed how long it took to get to 70 mph. Did it with both petrol and LPG.

1. Petrol 60-70Mph = 4 seconds.

2. LPG 60-70Mph = 12 seconds.

Quite shocked with that result actually, never thought LPG would rob it of that much power.

On a different note though, ever since resetting the ECU it seems to be slightly faster on the whole. Got to teach her how to drive all over again.

That would suggest a problem with the LPG system fitted, there is normally a very small percentage drop in performance but not that much!!!

Did you buy privately or from a dealer? A dealer really should be sorting this out for you, it's clearly a fault with the vehicle... You might want to get hold of the previous owner too when you get hold of the V5, find out what they made of the LPG system.

That would suggest a problem with the LPG system fitted, there is normally a very small percentage drop in performance but not that much!!!

Did you buy privately or from a dealer? A dealer really should be sorting this out for you, it's clearly a fault with the vehicle... You might want to get hold of the previous owner too when you get hold of the V5, find out what they made of the LPG system.

Brought it sort of privately from a trader working from home. Dont know how that works exactly in terms of warranty's and stuff.

LPG seems to have been fitted on this vehicle for a fair few years now, and has been serviced last year. So all in all it cant be that as the car does run on it without too many problems. However i did notice that because its a few years old its actually a single point system, not a multipoint. Im guessing thats where the difference lies.