Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Photoshop

RobIS200

is anyone on here into photoshop i've recently purchased a new d-slr and have been experimenting will all kinds if pics just wondered if anyone shared the same interest? :blush:

i know on other car forums they have photoshop threads where everyone starts with the same car pic and plays around with it.

just wonderd if anybody was up for a p/s thread?

rgds

rob

Sounds like a great idea - I recently bought the SONY Alpha 100 - DSLR - fantastic camera, and I've taken loads of pictures. Still getting used to it and the features, and when I should use flash and when not, as the camera seems to make some pictures look yellowish.

I use Corel Photoshop 9 which is excellent, and I have adobe Photoshop 3 starter kit only.

there is a nice 3508 x 2334 pixel image of the new IS with neutral background at

http://www.wcoty.com/upload/images/vehicle_24.JPG

If you can't see the car scroll down and across or zoom out. hehe!!!!

very large image. no 56Kers.

is the res too high. Other than that it should be easy to mask and the paint should be very easy to change colour.

edit: the res is probably way too high for viewing within a forum so i would imagine everyone would rescale their version to a standard size.

What res suits most ppl? personally 1000 pixels wide is probably the maximum that most ppl can view on their screens or 600 pixels wide the minimum so it is still large enough to be appreciated. Lets agree on a standard size and image, start a new thread and let the games begin.

800x600 would be a good size.... ;)

You also need to regulate the file size.

I would suggest not more than 600 pixels on the longest side and file size no bigger than 100k.

Here are a couple of pics that I took on the night of the eclipse last week - sized to those criteria. I think they are quite big enough.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bcaa/Images/Eightfifty.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bcaa/Images/Eleven2.jpg

800x600 would be a good size.... ;)

i agree with a maximum of 800 wide x 600 high. Landscape shots only.

I am not sure what kind of images you want to photoedit. do you like the suggestion a few posts back or do you want more of an action shot?

what about this?

IS250-2-777414.png

or if you want a challenge

Panda_climbing_12.jpg

Sounds like a great idea - I recently bought the SONY Alpha 100 - DSLR - fantastic camera, and I've taken loads of pictures. Still getting used to it and the features, and when I should use flash and when not, as the camera seems to make some pictures look yellowish.

I use Corel Photoshop 9 which is excellent, and I have adobe Photoshop 3 starter kit only.

have you tried playing with your white balance settings? i prefer to use a tripod and a longer exposure i have mainly been taking pics of my mates golf rallye.

the camera i bought was a canon 400D and i'm loving it i have a 18-55mm lens and a 28-300 but i really want a canon l series just cant justify spending 900 quid on a lens!

i went ahead and did a bit of photoediting of the is250 image. hope you like it.

is250attempt1oy5.jpg

editing bodywork on an obligue angle is quite time consuming so if anyone wants to start a new thread with another pic or this one lets give it a bash :D

cheeky cheeky :winky:

that took me half an hour, but then again i have 10 years experience photoediting.

If you want tips on using photoshop for editing images the main tools i use almost daily are.

LEVELS : gets the balance of light right. use autolevels. it works 90% of the time. the rest of the time use the 'set black point' on a part of the image you know is supposed to be black and/or 'set white point' tool on a part you know is white.

CLONE: use and abuse it to get to know what it is capable of

DODGE and BURN: These are the two most important features of photoshop allowing you to put shadows where there are none and get rid of shadows where you dont want them. set the % under 10 and do it gradually or you could end up with noise or blackened out areas. I cannot stress how important these are for editing real life photos.

MASKING. This tool will teach you mouse skills that you didn't believe possible. lots of practice.

LAYERS. no point getting into that till you master the 4 above

MESSING ABOUT: you never get anywhere unless you mess around. You always have undo.

Other than that the MOST IMPORTANT THING is MONITOR CALIBRATION. No point editing colours if they aren't going to look like that on other peoples screen.

yeah i agree i have been looking at a gadget called a spider it calibrates your printer , screen, camera together i believe

I am not sure what experience you have but calibrating printer, screen and camera means making profiles for each device which is pretty advanced and only of any real use if you are a professional. It only gives you an extra couple of percent accuracy compared to equipment used properly. I wouldn't bother unless you have a top of the range camera, printer and monitor and really want to get the best out of them and have money to throw at it and time to burn. Basically if you are not a professional forget the spectrometer, its a waste of money. I have one and i only got it for a job where i had to print 100+ swatches of bricks with slightly varying colours. Other than that i have never had proper use for it.

Are you mac or PC? if mac then use the calibration software on the mac in preferences which is quite good or pick up some free PC software monitor calibration. If you need help i can look up a few for you.

As you already know setting your camera up for the appropriate lighting is of immense importance. So let your camera do the work and finely adjust it in photoshop if needs be.

Most modern printers are very good at colour reproduction and dont need tinkering with. What one do you have? I have 7 printers, all of which give different problems and results but my epson 4800 gives better colour accuracy than my locals lithographic printers €150,000 printer.

i.m a pc man but have been hankering after a mac for a while though.

i have an epson photo printer with the 6 individual cartridges its not a hugely expensive one and it did a reasonable job with my old digital camera, but i know that with my new cam the quality of pics that i could be printing is potentialy much higher, i keep thinking about buying an A3 printer.but first on my list is a canon L series lens!!!

i.m a pc man but have been hankering after a mac for a while though.

i have an epson photo printer with the 6 individual cartridges its not a hugely expensive one and it did a reasonable job with my old digital camera, but i know that with my new cam the quality of pics that i could be printing is potentialy much higher, i keep thinking about buying an A3 printer.but first on my list is a canon L series lens!!!

using your camera correctly and having your monitor calibrated by eye should serve you well.

As for printers i find Canon to be the easiest to use unless you want to spend money on RIP software (basically software to process the data professionally, Rasterised Image Processor. You almost certainly need one of these if you use a MAC to get accurate colours). All printer manufacturers entice you with cheap printers and then scr€w you with overpriced media, inks and RIPs.

Find out what level of professionalism you want to achieve and a budget for your printer and PM me and i will point you in a direction.

photoshop elements is a really good program for someone in your position. It only works in RGB but doesn't work with CMYK or .EPS files, neither of which will be of any use to you unless you want a job in desktop publishing. It is 90% of the full version of photoshop at a fraction of the cost. Sometimes you can get it free with a really cheap scanner which could be cheaper than it costs and you get a scanner so check out some online sales of scanners and you couold get lucky, although its only about 100euro to buy

try the free trial

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/tryout.html

cheers i have used both and did have a copy of p/s 7 which i really liked but i lost it when my old machine went pop.i learnt with p/s 7 and now i find that elements4 doesnt have some tools i'm used to using i.e curves.