Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Pollisher (buffer)

maz786

you can get them from any car shop so unless u really want to buy from eBay ....... ?

its a random orbit buffer, i get good results with that type but im am 100% sure people will be along in a bit telling u to get a porter polisher from the US - have not tried one so cant comment

i would recomend a porter cable polisher you also need a 110v transformer but they do an awesome job my matewho is a big vdub fan bought one and it did an awesome job havent heard many good reviews about the other type i think you will tend to get more holographic effects in your paint if you use the one from eBay. i know a chap who is a proffesional valeter and he was v impressed with the porter cable.

i'm not saying the one on eBay is no good but i'm sayin that if i were to buy oe i would go for the porter.

i would recomend a porter cable polisher you also need a 110v transformer but they do an awesome job my matewho is a big vdub fan bought one and it did an awesome job havent heard many good reviews about the other type i think you will tend to get more holographic effects in your paint if you use the one from ebay. i know a chap who is a proffesional valeter and he was v impressed with the porter cable.

i'm not saying the one on ebay is no good but i'm sayin that if i were to buy oe i would go for the porter.

I've got the Porter Polisher, and couldn't do without it now...brilliant tool :)

but is it continually spinning? the porta stops rotating and only oscillates in a random orbit/figure of 8 when pressure is applied.

my understanding is that the other ones may do a random orbit but they are always continually spinning on one axis...............i may be wrong?????

I've got a porter cable american thingy, they are a bit expensive but are excellent.

I've also got one like that eBay one above but I dont use it. Matt McNally mentioned that they can be quite dangerous to use because you can damage the car paint with them, even burn the paint work. If you buy the cheaper one above be VERY carefull.

If you want to get one then spend the extra money and get a porter cable random bad boy. The above is not :winky:

Thank you for everyone who posted!

mite have to go for a porter cable then but quite expensive gonna wait till i can afford it!

what sort of polish are you supposed to use with it? t-cut or wat??

i will fin out what we used but defo no t-cut!

you need a paint cleaner

you could also cley block it

a light cutting compound to get out nasty scratches

a polish

a wax

i think megiuars do like a three step package.

i will find out what we used and let u know.

rgds

rob

p.s you ned to get different density mops for the p/c for different stages in polishing/cleaning

you need a paint cleaner

a polish

a wax

rgds

rob

p.s you ned to get different density mops for the p/c for different stages in polishing/cleaning

If you buy the kit from somewhere like Autopia then you can buy it all in a package. They also sell it at a great price and are always doing discounts :winky:

I've got a porter cable american thingy, they are a bit expensive but are excellent.

I've also got one like that ebay one above but I dont use it. Matt McNally mentioned that they can be quite dangerous to use because you can damage the car paint with them, even burn the paint work. If you buy the cheaper one above be VERY carefull.

If you want to get one then spend the extra money and get a porter cable random bad boy. The above is not :winky:

no thats a totally different type of polisher - a slowed down angle grinder with a polishing head.

Rob: it does spin but when pressure applied starts the random orbit

you need a paint cleaner

a polish

a wax

rgds

rob

Cheerz mate let me kno on this one! thanks

• 8 months later...
Where did you guys get your Voltage Converters from? for the Polishers

Think I got mine from Screwfix, nice size (not too big) and has 240v input with two 110v outlets.

I looked into this, and found quite a few were using the Dewalt DW443 Random orbital sander. and at 240V, you don't need the transformer..

Some people also say it is better than the PC.. and more powerful...

amazon sell these at around £150, but I found one place doing them for £75.. so I got one... and a few pads, and lambswool bonnets..

I have to say, it's superb at polishing... and if the need arises, I can use it as a sander as well.

John

Autopia have recently launched their own random orbit polisher.

Ultimate Detailing Machine

Which is getting rave reviews. With the exchange rate the way it is now and the autopia discount codes (plus the excellent labelling on the packages :whistling: ) it's a good time to buy from them.

(nope I don't have one - I got a porter just before the ultimate came out).

I spent a lot of time looking into a polisher before I bought the dewalt...

there are a few on eBay that would do the trick... Sealey make 2 models for instance..

I also came across a few Taiwanese/Chinese models which were selling on eBay for about £80-90...

something like this: http://balmart.en.alibaba.com/product/0/20...l_Polisher.html

Couldn't find any distributors in this country, and I wasn't going to buy 5000 of em :)

Only when I found someone doing the Dewalt at £75 did I make up my mind... but almost bought the Sealey DAS150T

Bear in mind, the Porter Cable started off in life as a sander... they only marketed it as a polisher when they found out what most people were using it for.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Ultimate detailing Machine is for sale if anyone's interested.

Complete with:

- UDM with 110v plug

- 110v 1.5kwa transformer (UDM is about 500w so the 1.5kw has three times the performance needed)

- SFX-2 Polishing Pad

- Spanner to release plates

- Carrying bag

- More than enough cabling.

Only about 6 months old.

£110 including delivery.