Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Filter

P38Aaron

Hi.

I got my TRD Oil Filter today, its probably the smallest oil filter i have seen, Normally i don't see them as my garage sorts it all out for me but i thought i would do something a bit special the time along with better oil.

previous cars i have had the oil filters are almost twice the size...are all IS200 oil filters smaller or is it because its TRD?

Diameter is 75mm x 80mm high

Aaron

the TRD filter is no different to the OEM Toyota filter.

the only difference is the TRD one is painted red

however, the std filter is small

Not sure TRD would be happy with that statement :winky:

Do you have any evidence to support that bold statement

not with me but it was proven a few years ago, on an altezza forum in Japan, it may have actually been posted on here, the construction internally is identicle to the OEM toyota filter

not that i am saying the TRD filter is bad, not at all, but the oem filter is very good....

Im still suprised how small the oil filter is, is an IS300 filter also small?

I suppose with better quality & synthetic oils now they don't need as heavy filtering.

i could turn that right around and say " do you have evidence that the filter is in some way special?"

i could turn that right around and say " do you have evidence that the filter is in some way special?"

I have the TRD marketing bumpf which shows improved flow rate etc............

I can't see how Toyota Racing Development would take a toyota oil filter paint it red, put a logo on it,make various claims and then sell it on.............

I'd say that has more weight than some muppet in saying they've taken one apart and its the same............

as you say advertising Bumf, whats the flow rates of the std filter.

bit rich to assume the person who discovered the filters are the same is a Muppet

TRD High-Performance Oil Filter Information Sheet

Product Name: TRD High-Performance Oil Filters

I. CONSTRUCTION

Heavy gauge steel mounting plate reduces flexing during high-RPM output.

High-grade steel canister with fluted ends and a double-locking seal for high-pressure applications.

Inner support provides filter element stabilization as well as positive internal sealing

Filter media is constructed of Phenolic based cellulose

Finished in white with TRD red logo and graphics

Finished in Red with White TRD logo and graphics

II. PERFORMANCE FEATURES

Silicone Antidrain-back valve stays flexible in extreme temperatures and eliminates engine wearing dry starts by retaining oil during shut

down.

Bypass valve pressure of 8-11 psi ensures continuous engine lubrication if filter becomes clogged during off-road or severe driving

conditions.

Spiral center tube provides internal element support and withstands high collapse pressure that can occur during heavy load.

Coiled spring ensures constant load on inner element that provides a sure seal between the upper element and end cap.

The arch-pleated, prescription-blended, low restriction media flows oil with less resistance. This enables the engine to pump a higher

volume of oil, which is critical in high-demand situations. Also, the media is porosity blended to assure complete oil filtration.

The media nominal micron rating is 20. This means that these filters hold up to 45% more dirt than other leading brands.

The low initial oil flow restriction helps protect internal engine components. At an oil flow of 4 grams/second, the pressure drop across

the filter pleats is only 2 p.s.i.

* This information came directly from TRD

"The media nominal micron rating is 20"

This means that it traps 50% of 20 micron sized particles.

"This means that these filters hold up to 45% more dirt...."

No, the filtering efficiency has nothing to do with the dirt holding capacity.

"Silicone Antidrain-back valve"

Good, but not uncommon.

"At an oil flow of 4 grams/second, the pressure drop across the filter pleats is only 2 p.s.i."

The standard measure is gallons per minute of 180° SAE 30 oil at a differential pressure just below the bypass valve setting. The rating TRD gives can't be compared to other filters.

"Finished in white with TRD red logo and graphics."

The best part!

ultimately there is no substitute to regular oil changes and use of the OEM filter, designed by the same people who......designed the TRD filter.

even if the Advertising bumf is 100% spot on.....the need for a filter of such high qualities would really only be needed on a car running super high expectations, in which case you would do very regular oil and filter changes

interestingly almost all the works race cars Ive ever seen have been running OEM filters.

my point is not that the filters are bad, far from it................but that the OEM is more than perfect for any application we can put it through

well .... before mats post i would have said that " impoved flow rate" compared to what? but as we all know the trd standard air filter for the IS is a normal one but just a different colour so why not the oil filter???

but it does make me laught at people buying " performance" oil filters... all the advertising bumpf its aimed at the max muppets.. just sit down and really read it word for word slowly.. its all sh!te... bit like saying bin man = waste refuse technical engineer. but thats my 1P worth... i wont comment further

well .... before mats post i would have said that " impoved flow rate" compared to what? but as we all know the trd standard air filter for the IS is a normal one but just a different colour so why not the oil filter???

all the advertising bumpf its aimed at the max muppets.. but thats my 1P worth...

LOL :lol: it's very interesting about the oil filters.

I do know one thing about the Lexus oil filter - It is a real bugger to change on the vehicle!

Never mind flow rates and all that stuff none of us really understand how have the rest of you Lexus "Owners" Club, I'm talking to the real Lexus Owners here - The ones who get Lexus dirt under their fingernails working on their own cars - How have you managed to get at the thing and remove it?

I'm sure if TRD made dirt someone would buy it...

Lance

I used to get my hands dirty and do servicing etc, sad thing is my new house is on a bu**er of a hill and i aint jacking a car up on it.

Oil filter is a s*d to get to from what i have been told, Best to take the splash tray off.

• 1 month later...

I changed mine with the car on stands, and didn't remove any of the trays.

I was lucky (strong :) ) enough to undo it by hand, could be quite dfficult to get any tool on there.

Performance filters LOL what a load of horse 5h!t.

You've changed nothing else on the car that would increase the flow of oil, or the stress the engine is under. You're also probably using better quality oil, and changing it more often than recommended so the standard filter stands even more chance of coping just fine.