Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Fuel Consumption

Hi everyone,

I just can't beleive how some of the guys on the forum say they get 350-400 on a full tank. I think this is nothing short og divine intervention.

I drive like i'm driving HRH Queen Lizzie round & the very best I've ever got is 250 & thats motorway driving too!!!

The lex drinks like petrol's going outta fashion, more than any other 2.0 in its class in fact (apart from the jap t/c models of course)

I had a sticking caliper(s) - got those changed yesterday along with new discs/pads & lower ball joints. I'm hoping the caliper situation will help consumption but i'm not holding my breath.

I've checked my air filter all is good, another thing is that I can't beleive that changing plugs is whole heartedly responsible for poor consumption.

I hope you sort it out bruv as 14mpg is real bad. In fact its just 1mpg more than my brother's old bmw v12!!!

I did a challenge and filled my tank to the brim to see how much i could get out of a full tank. I filled up about 15 miles after the orange petrol light had come on and I had done 375 miles.

It is possible don't think it's divine intervention and if it is i hope it keeps happening.

I didn't drive too sensibly either did some good speeds on the motorways down to a mates house. I hope everyone can get the petrol guzzling sorted and stop cursing the IS :crybaby:

yeah since changng to shell optimax i used to only get 210 miles to the tank. now with optimax i get near on 300. im not the slowest of drivers but im not foot flat to the floor everywhere. mostly use the car to get to work. probably about 10 miles away down the motorway.

i get around 190miles on 30litres..is that good?

will reset my ecu and use some fuel treatment cleaner too like slick50 n see what that does..

what are these air filters u guys r on about? i've put a K&n filter recently..but that isnt secured by bolts..just clips in the engine bay. is there another filter? or u talking bout the air filter which u need to remove ur glovebox first?

thanks

also how n where do u change the 02 sensor?

As I understand it there's two- one by the air filter which measures the air going in and one in the exhaust which measures the air going out, buty dont quote me on that cos I'm not a Lexus mechanic, although I have had to help them do their job on occasion!

yeah since changng to shell optimax i used to only get 210 miles to the tank. now with optimax i get near on 300. im not the slowest of drivers but im not foot flat to the floor everywhere. mostly use the car to get to work. probably about 10 miles away down the motorway.

Hi Guys

First post and only had the car a week and already draining my account. But i took it down south and back and got 420 out of a full tank (55 quid). Mostly motorway but mine has only just been serviced. if i start getting what some of you guys are saying it will be the shortest partnership ever!

Hi Guys

First post and only had the car a week and already draining my account. But i took it down south and back and got 420 out of a full tank (55 quid). Mostly motorway but mine has only just been serviced. if i start getting what some of you guys are saying it will be the shortest partnership ever!

I'm right with you on that one kmoore. I've only just got mine and it's proving even more of a headache than the Alfa- and Alfa's are notorious for guzzling gas, breaking down and generally misbehaving. In fact, the key reason I considered buying a Lexus was for it's renowned **cough** reliability!

I never got a speeding fine with the Alfa either- even though I was flashed plenty of times. Flashed once in the Lex- instant fine!!!!???

I sense a hint of annoyance with your Lexus jazzy, but on your comment that you bought the lexus for it's reliability and your saying it hasn't been. Your car actually hasn't let you down has it!! :P

It may be drinking petrol but i'm pretty sure you have a problem with your car an that's not the cars fault. If the poor girl is all clogged up then i'm not surprised it's guzzling a bit of fuel. :sick:

I hope you get it sorted as the IS's are brilliant and alot less hassle than most especailly Alfa's.

I sense a hint of annoyance with your Lexus jazzy, but on your comment that you bought the lexus for it's reliability and your saying it hasn't been. Your car actually hasn't let you down has it!! :P

It may be drinking petrol but i'm pretty sure you have a problem with your car an that's not the cars fault. If the poor girl is all clogged up then i'm not surprised it's guzzling a bit of fuel. :sick:

I hope you get it sorted as the IS's are brilliant and alot less hassle than most especailly Alfa's.

Believe me, I want to get on with the IS but I've just got the car and it's presenting me with problems. I've never owned a car that has done that before right from the start!

What I deem to be "reliable" is when you dont have to spend loads of money to get the car up to spec. Maybe you have a different interpretation of the word.

As for the poor girl being clogged up- the Lexus Hatfield garage apparently couldn't find anything wrong with the fuel consumption so I dont know whats going on. All I do know is I aint going there again!

They changed the shock absorbers because of knocking on the steering, but it didnt resolve the problem. In fact the problem has increased because they weren't fitted properly! It's going back in on Tues. :excl:

How's the performance with yours? I tried to get it past the ton and it struggles- yet its supposed to do 134?!

as someone thats very close to an unrestricted section of fantastic autobahn I can say the IS easily reaches an indicated 120mph - its the last indicated 20 upto 140 that takes time.

if your car is "really" struggling to reach 100 then there is def something wrong!

Have the plugs been changed?

Jazzy there is definitely something wrong with your car... There are not two O2 sensors - on the inlet side there is an air-mass sensor which measures the volume of air going in, but on the outlet side there is just the O2 sensor which is measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases and then adjusts the fuel/air mixture. I guess it's conceivable there is something wrong with the air-mass sensor but I think it would probably show up on the diagnostic computer.

You are suffering poor performance and poor fuel economy, there is lots that can cause this but binding brakes or clogged air filter (lose the K&N - get the car to standard spec and then fault-find) are the most common culprits. Have you actually checked these yourself? 20 minutes with the jack will check the wheels, and 5 minutes under the bonnet for the air filter. You could also, if you wished, run the car with the air filter removed. Don't leave it like that but you'd have to be desperately unlucky to have a problem on a 10 minutes spin up a motorway to see how the performance goes...

As for reliability - just because the car is new to you doesn't mean it will work perfectly. The car has been taken away from standard spec and you don't know it's past history; I know it's frustrating as you've just bought it but it's entirely possible it has been abused and/or badly fiddled-with, and is having problems as a result. Not what you want to hear, but it's harsh moaning about Lexus reliability on the basis of one second-hand car with obvious problems!! Having had one of these myself until a month ago, yes it did feel a tad underpowered but it certainly went well over 100mph and still accelerated properly, and I got an average of about 34mpg (mostly motorways though).

Jazzy there is definitely something wrong with your car... There are not two O2 sensors - on the inlet side there is an air-mass sensor which measures the volume of air going in, but on the outlet side there is just the O2 sensor which is measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases and then adjusts the fuel/air mixture. I guess it's conceivable there is something wrong with the air-mass sensor but I think it would probably show up on the diagnostic computer.

You are suffering poor performance and poor fuel economy, there is lots that can cause this but binding brakes or clogged air filter (lose the K&N - get the car to standard spec and then fault-find) are the most common culprits. Have you actually checked these yourself? 20 minutes with the jack will check the wheels, and 5 minutes under the bonnet for the air filter. You could also, if you wished, run the car with the air filter removed. Don't leave it like that but you'd have to be desperately unlucky to have a problem on a 10 minutes spin up a motorway to see how the performance goes...

As for reliability - just because the car is new to you doesn't mean it will work perfectly. The car has been taken away from standard spec and you don't know it's past history; I know it's frustrating as you've just bought it but it's entirely possible it has been abused and/or badly fiddled-with, and is having problems as a result. Not what you want to hear, but it's harsh moaning about Lexus reliability on the basis of one second-hand car with obvious problems!! Having had one of these myself until a month ago, yes it did feel a tad underpowered but it certainly went well over 100mph and still accelerated properly, and I got an average of about 34mpg (mostly motorways though).

Okaayy :huh: ....few things-

1. There is no manual available so that I can attempt to resolve things myself. I'm not going to risk doing things without some sort of proper guidance.

2. Thats why I took it to a Lexus garage who couldn't (because they didn't look) find fault with the car.

3. I dont have a K&N filter. I was just asking for advice about it.

4. I'm not the only one reporting problems with mpg- quite a few have- if you read back through the post- which makes me wonder if this is symptomatic of IS200's in general. (I dont know as this is the first I've owned)

5. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I go from here? If there's no manual how can I work on the car myself? If the Lexus dealership's take money without resolving the problems who can I trust?

By the way, thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread thus far. Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

as someone thats very close to an unrestricted section of fantastic autobahn I can say the IS easily reaches an indicated 120mph - its the last indicated 20 upto 140 that takes time.

if your car is "really" struggling to reach 100 then there is def something wrong!

DUDE, i got 130 sunday morning.... and my car flys to a ton

but i have to admit, i'm getting better mpg since i changed the air fliter

u use K&N?

just a ? have u tried a fuel treatment cleaner? like slick50 or STP..dont know if it will help..

Chandru,

I haven't but I'm willing to give it a go. Where can I purchase these? How do I use them?

slick50 i believe is one of the best..should be able to get it from any car accessory shop. Halfords, elliots etc. the usual directions i believe is pour a full bottle of the cleaner along with a full tank of petrol. on ur lex i would use around 40L to 50L not more to ensure it does its job.

Nice one Y2K.. Wanna swap? It's really a great car-honest! ;)

If money was no object I would change the air filter, the spark plugs and the 02 sensor. However, money is an object and the dumb bunnies at Lexus Hatfield have made it even more of an issue, having robbed me of a load of dosh! REEALLLLYY don't like them there!!

Wish I knew hot to change the air filter maself.

air filter is easy. open ur bonnet up, and where u see the L badge with the silver stripe is the bit u need to take of. there are 2 clips, one at front and one at back. just unclip it, pull filter out n put ur new filter in. while its out, u might as well give the inside area a quick hoover n clean..