Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Fuel Consumption

jazzy, the fuel gauge on the IS is not at all accurate, the needle positions are often incorrent.

when you hit 200miles, the needle shows up at half tank, but really the tank probably has barely 30ltrs in it.

when i first got my lexus back in feb, i was worried i had a dud fuel gauge, but after reading on here, it seems im not the only one.

although, it seems your car is doing better over the length of this thread..

thought about just selling it? getting another?

Isn't it just that the tank gets smaller towards the bottom, therefore the needle is actually showing you how low it is, but the lower it goes the less there is in that area, kinda like the shape of a martini glass in that it's larger at the top but smaller at the bottom, ok they're not that shape but you get the gist :)

jazzy, the fuel gauge on the IS is not at all accurate, the needle positions are often incorrent.

when you hit 200miles, the needle shows up at half tank, but really the tank probably has barely 30ltrs in it.

when i first got my lexus back in feb, i was worried i had a dud fuel gauge, but after reading on here, it seems im not the only one.

although, it seems your car is doing better over the length of this thread..

thought about just selling it? getting another?

I'm hearing you on that Vyker! Hot diggity dawg!

It is true that the fuel consumption- from 14mpg to 23mpg- 9 mpg. Over a 50% increase, which is great. However, I have had to take certain steps to reach this point, namely-

purchase and install K&N air filter

purchase and pay for installation of Denso IK20's

over-inflate the tyres to 40 psi

reset the ECU twice

purchase top whack, uber-expensive Vpower from Shell.

I have one thing left to try, which Tony B. thinks will solve the problem- namely: get a full geo done on the wheels.

If that doesn't do the trick and the Lex continues its vampiric behaviour, then I am reluctantly going to sell up and move on, before it loses too much of its value.

• 1 month later...

ay up guys just wonderd what you thought i went down south yesterday and did 500 odd miles and did 452miles to 60ltrs of fuel which worked out using one of the calculators on here at 34.25 miles to the gallon and after reading this topic sounds like i've got quite good economy?? and a few of you know what i drive like??:D

I agree, thats pretty good, i've never seen that kind of fuel economy from my motor, but i've never done a long drive, and probably won't get a chance for a while unfortunately, I keep hearing about the ecu "learning" to adapt to how I drive, i'm tryin to find threads relating to this as I type, as i'd like to put less £s in my tank every week if I can (anyone know where this topic of the learning can be found?)

ay up guys just wonderd what you thought i went down south yesterday and did 500 odd miles and did 452miles to 60ltrs of fuel which worked out using one of the calculators on here at 34.25 miles to the gallon and after reading this topic sounds like i've got quite good economy?? :D

That's good mate. I reckon I'm lucky if I get 24.25mpg. :tsktsk:

:offtopic: Have you got them pics sorted yet Chris? No rush, just hope you haven't forgotten :whistling:

Hey guys

well i think i must be doing something right - i average 29mpg commuting to work on a B road, admittedly driving miss daisy most of the time, but if i take a motorway run then it averages about 32-33mpg. and that's on an automatic which usually gets worse consumption than the manual. if i come over all reckless and unleash the beast then i still get about 26mpg and a very large smile :)

I agree, thats pretty good, i've never seen that kind of fuel economy from my motor, but i've never done a long drive, and probably won't get a chance for a while unfortunately, I keep hearing about the ecu "learning" to adapt to how I drive, i'm tryin to find threads relating to this as I type, as i'd like to put less £s in my tank every week if I can (anyone know where this topic of the learning can be found?)

Rory,

Have a look on the knowledgebase. Its under there how to do an ECU reset. This is the content:-

IS200: Resetting engine ECU

Author: Colin Barber

It is recommended that the engine ECU is reset after any engine performance modifications have been made to the vehicle, including using a higher octane fuel, to accelerate the learning of any new parameters. Resetting the ECU will also clear any stored error codes, however if you have a fault with your vehicle it is advisable that these codes are retrieved rather than wiped as they may help in diagnosing the problem.

Make sure the ignition is turned off

Remove the engine bay fuse box cover

Remove the 20Amp/25Amp EFI fuse

Remove the 15Amp ETCS fuse

Wait 30 seconds

Re-insert the two fuses

Install the fuse box cover

It is also possible to reset the engine ECU by removing the Battery. Please note that this method will also reset any memory settings such as radio presets, trip mileage, clock etc.

I have had avg. about 29-33mpg depending how much i drive on highway and how much in city. Best ever mpg that i had was 36.5 and that was same day when i bought my car about 4 months ago. I had 1000km drive from city where i bought it to city where i live, but that trip didnt have that many hills. My car is '00 manual.

Sorry about my bad english, i havent trained my skills for a while :D