Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Fuel Consumption

i average around 32mpg, heavy footed.

my last little fill up, i got 282miles from £34 of unleaded @ 94p/ltr

now what i want to know is how these "denos's" can make a difference?

what make them so special?

look at the mpg, dude mine's on 0 when i do that...

P.S i got my leds in (side lights, and dome)

Hello Matey got my leds in 2 they look great in the side lights :)

Must say my car does run really well and get an average of 436 on a full tank and i drive a bit quick most of the time i've got a set of ik20's on the way as its still got the standard plugs in at the moment so a happy chappy with the fueling but will probably go down a bit when i fit my induction kit? :winky:

Chris.... :D

i got 236 miles to half a tank at the weekend on the way up to Blackpool and back was very happy i even hit 140 on the clock on the way back on a private road of course? :winky: :winky: :D

I dont know which is scarier- the fact that you were travelling at 140mph (naughty naughty) or the fact that you were travelling at 140 with (hopefully) one hand on the wheel. (The other was taking the pic!)

I was worrying about the fuel consumption on my Lexus until I read this link - it's actually making me feel a lot better. I got 420 miles on a 95% of the tank (guessing from the guage - it was £50 of fuel either way).

Bit of a shock to the system after my old Golf TDi - even with 180k on the clock it did 500 miles to a £40 tank.. But there is no contest in terms of driveability.

what i want to know is how changing spark plugs can make a differnce?

i think mine are the orginals from showroom back in 1999.

might need to change them soon.

Better spark plugs means a better spark, engine doesnt have to work as hard and so doesnt need as much petrol pumped into it.

Think thats about right anyway sure i'll be corrected if it's not. :shutit:

In response to Mike_B it has made a significant difference yes. Please read back through the thread to get the bigger picture.

As Rikos so sagely put: it helps the engine burn the fuel easier, thus meaning better BHP and better MPG.

Are there any other things that I can do to get better BHP/MPG cos at the mo I'm only gettting the basic 20MPG?

Also, with all the changes I've made does the fact that I'm only getting 20MPG indicate a fault with the engine itself?

In response to Mike_B it has made a significant difference yes. Please read back through the thread to get the bigger picture.

As Rikos so sagely put: it helps the engine burn the fuel easier, thus meaning better BHP and better MPG.

Are there any other things that I can do to get better BHP/MPG cos at the mo I'm only gettting the basic 20MPG?

Also, with all the changes I've made does the fact that I'm only getting 20MPG indicate a fault with the engine itself?

I have just noticed today that i have a caliper sticking on slightly and i believe thats why i cant get no more than 25MPG hopefully get it freed tomorrow or it might mean a new caliper.On a slight slope my car will not roll

I have just noticed today that i have a caliper sticking on slightly and i believe thats why i cant get no more than 25MPG hopefully get it freed tomorrow or it might mean a new caliper.On a slight slope my car will not roll

Interesting. This is where I sound like a right dunderhead, but if you are in gear but not pressing the accelerator and have the clutch in (coasting effectively) does the car slow down significantly for others cos for mine its not quite like hitting the brakes but almost. This assumes its rolling on flat ground.

I've just had the brakes done though??!!

Yes this will slow the car down more than being in nuetral but i wouldnt have thought you should notice it that much.

Interesting. This is where I sound like a right dunderhead, but if you are in gear but not pressing the accelerator and have the clutch in (coasting effectively) does the car slow down significantly for others cos for mine its not quite like hitting the brakes but almost. This assumes its rolling on flat ground.

Yes this will slow you down a bit more than being in nuetral but would not have thought that you would have noticed it by that much.

Slight, but significant, amendment to the previous query- Does anyone else experience considerable slowing down whilst in gear and with foot off the clutch and with foot off the accelerator also???

I've had my IS200 SE Auto for about 3 months - now at about 23,000 miles. Consistently getting 29/30 mpg.

This seems pretty good compared with some. AND I do use that 'private road' sometimes - topped out at 120 this morning before I realised I was actually doing 120!

Cleaned the standard air filter out a couple of days ago and hoovered the intake box. The filter was full of crap and small animals. It made a difference too - much improved throttle. Next job is to really clear out the air intake with carb' cleaner and then fit a K&N filter. Plugs might have to wait until next month! :o

One more thing for what it's worth - if I'm coming to a jam on the m'way I always hit the snow button. Makes it much less jumpy (won't apply to you manuals!) and does seem to improve the fuel consumption.

:offtopic: Absolutely whatever you do if you've just got a 200 and it doesn't seem to stick - get the geometry done - worth every penny.

I shall now be quiet... :shutit:

I have filled my tank up on the Vpower before i leave for glossop and ill see what MPG i get.The last meet i went to i worked out i only got 25MPG.I have fitted an induction and iridium plugs and now the Vpower so it will be interesting if there is a difference over a few(or several) tanks.Its should be over 1000 miles round trip.I will keep you all posted on my return.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links