Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Fuel Consumption

1000 miles - that trip would cost me 300 quid for what I get around town, reckon I could do it for 150 if it was all motorway!

My car has been goosed and the last 40 quid got me 70 miles :o

No wonder I'm thinking of getting a supermini diesel next :lol:

I get about 300-350 miles from a full tank at best. I've got Denso IK20 plugs and a K&N panel filter, the car has had regular servicing and the mileage is only 40k.

I find it great upto 85mph, after that it just guzzles fuel. Does anybody else find the same ?

Oh and in the past I've found that just one tyre being under inflated has a major effect on the fuel consuption, much more so than on other cars I've had.

1000 miles - that trip would cost me 300 quid for what I get around town, reckon I could do it for 150 if it was all motorway!

My car has been goosed and the last 40 quid got me 70 miles :o

No wonder I'm thinking of getting a supermini diesel next :lol:

Yebbut there's something wrong with yours mate. Even if I drove everywhere like a loon, I'd hope to get more than 70 miles from 40 quids worth of fuel! That's about 7mpg!!! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Get yourself a 430, most of the performance of yours with much better economy! Never thought I'd recommend a V8 based on it's economy though!

:lol:

Yeah mate it was battered, fixed now though I hope :D

After all that messing about was a crack in the plastic assembly, lots of microtears which I guess were releasing pressure and then eventually it's totally given in!

Will get a pic up later - hopefully it should be a bit better now but I'm not really going to be using the car for the next week or so!

Just wish I'd taken a look at lot earlier at the engine bay, never bothered as I'd just got it in my head it was a coilpack, what a plonker!

Well I had sticky brakes going down to Glossop so i wont count that but got them fixed by Steve.

Now i filled my tank on the way home and drove around town the last few days and i have got just under 400 miles until the light came on.

Now this was on superunleaded i think it was a texaco garage i filled up at and i have an induction and IK20's.

So all in all a RESULT!!! I am happy with that.

P.s. and remember i was trying to keep up with Rogue all the way home and this was not sitting at a cruising speed and was up and down like a hookers drawers

thats not bad 400miles out of 60ltrs [70lts tank, but light comes on with 10lt left]

after some maths, that means you are hitting.... exactly 30mpg

stick that into spiritmonitor.de .... and get yourself a nice forum logo to stick in your signature.. like my empty one below [not added any data yet]

Anyone got a calcu-m-a-lator?

Last put £30 quid in- approx 30 litres and got 128 miles out of it.

Wadda ya reckon?

Deal or no deal??

Thats awful - what sort of driving are you doing?!

4000-5000 rpm.

Wadda ya reckon?

Deal or no deal??

Thats awful - what sort of driving are you doing?!

Normal, sedate driving. I have 3 things left to explore before I give up and flog the car:-

1. Empty the boot of my "emergency equipment" i.e. blankets, foam for flat tyre, petrol can, spare oil, tools, football, astro turf boots, brake fluid, bulbs.

2. Over-inflate the tyres- one bloke reputedly did this and got fantastic mpg, and told the Lexus garage not to touch the tyres because he gets such good mpg as a result. I'm guessing you wear your tread out quicker though.

3. Get a full geometry done at WIM- which is long overdue, due to financial constraints.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.(@¦ 0 0 ¦@)

use spiritmonitor.de

nice little site that calculates your mileage for you

site doesnt work for me?

sorry mate, i typo'd it...

spritmonitor.de

Just did my first mpg check and I am getting around 28 mpg (IS200 SE Manual, 2001 80K). Mostly pottering around with only one long run. I was quite pleased with that as most of the time my mpg guage seems to hover around 20! I was using Shell V-Power unleaded.

without using snow mode I get about 18 mpg when using snow mode I can see over 25mpg around town. Ive come to the conclusion its me being a bit heavy footed in start stop traffic. Managed to get over 35mpg on long runs so I know it can do it

Hmmm.. seems mpg is a really variable thing. Right across the board there are many different views of what is "normal" mpg.

Well, I've inflated all four tyres to 40 psi as the bloke who I mentioned earlier had. I've also taken all the stuff out of the boot. See how things go.

I've somehow got to manage to get about the place on £15 per week- for the next 4 months- which at the moment lasts about 2 days, if I'm lucky.

Any other suggestions of how to improve the mileage are warmly welcomed.

i just got 24mpg on my last tank,

60ltrs got me 325 miles....

gutted!!! :(

can the aircon really drink up that much of my fuel?

thats the only thing ive done differently from my last few tanks, where i was getting around 250miles from 35ltrs ~ 32mpg

:(

I drove 534 km on my first tank which was 53L. Matches up pretty good with the advertised 10.3km/L

I have the aircon on always, change gear at 3000rpm usually. Sometimes it gets abused a bit and sometimes I try to be eco-friendly. I've found that driving at city speed (constant speed, flat road) in 5th or 6th gear nets you a 20km/L (57mpg) consumption.

2. Over-inflate the tyres- one bloke reputedly did this and got fantastic mpg, and told the Lexus garage not to touch the tyres because he gets such good mpg as a result. I'm guessing you wear your tread out quicker though.

This is also likely to reduce grip, so be aware.

Last tank was 60.46 litres. Managed 290 miles out of it :( so around 21mpg, most of it contry lane driving and driving with a full load.

Usually change gear around 3000rpm, unless I'm having a bit of fun then change around 5500 :)

Wadda ya reckon?

Deal or no deal??

This is the calculator I use

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

That is not good fuel economy if your car is standard :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links