Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I Buy A Cat C Repaired Lexus Is200?

jasear

Its been repaired and looks in good condition. Just needed some advice on what to look out for and whether its worth the risk?

Secondly, apologies for ignorance on the matter but what kind of Cambelts do the IS200 have? Do they have the chain cambelt or the normal ones? I assume the normal ones which require changing. If so then how often do they need to get changed?

Thanks for your help in advance.

First of all run a HPI check to see what it throws up. Category C is pretty major damage so I would find out who carried out the repair (Authorised Lexus?) If the dealership knows anything about it and get as much information on what damage was done to the car and how and what exactly was replaced (OEM parts?) or repaired. Find out if there is a warranty on the work too.

One other thing is a car with this kind of history will be way below market value. Something to consider if you decided to sell it on. In my personal opinion I would stay clear. There are plenty of good,unabused examples about on the market that mean you should not have to look in that direction for a good car. We're not talking about Subaru Impreza's here.

Cambelt is your normal rubber one. The service schedule for my 99 Sport is 10 years or 100k. A long stretch I thought but was confirmed by Lexus.

A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell).

Notification of Destruction required. (To be crushed). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage.

Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection.

Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.

Recorded with HPI.

X - Repairable salvage. Not recorded on any registers such as HPI. Limited or very light damage, or vehicle is new or less than 12 months old. Usually requires minimal repair work.

NOT Recorded with HPI.

Excellent, Thanks, Codlord, What are those Wheels on the car in your signature pic?

Not 100% sure as I got them with the car, they are 19" and have "cerberus" or something like that on the centre cap and are chrome finished. I think they are sold elsewhere as another brand name but can't remember which.

I've had accident damaged cars in the past and had them professionally repaired by trusted sources. The pros are that you can usually get them quite cheap, and sometimes with only very minor damage. The downside is that as mentioned above, their re-sale value tends to be much lower than straight cars.

Cat C usually means there has been damage that is more than cosmetic, and unless you know who has repaired it, I would definitely advise that you find out exactly what the damage was and get it checked out by an independent inspector, for safety and quality of repair.

You may be onto a good thing, providing all the boxes have been ticked in respect of the repair process. The last thing you want is two cars stuck together, so just be careful!!

Ok guys maybe u can help me here, I had a acciedent it was repaired by insurance people an given back to me. Would this be put into any of the Catergorys? for when I sell it on? Would I have to tell the person I was selling it, I had a acciendent & that the insurance people have fixed it all up?

P.S. Sorry for stealing this thread abit :huh:

I think I'm right when I say that the categories only apply to write off cars.

So for example if you bump and the insurance company refuse to repair it, then it will be written off and given the appropriate category.

If you were really worried the best thing to do would be to HPI it, but I'mpretty sure that if they haven't written it off, it won't be regsitered. I could be wrong vbut that's the way I understand it.

Ok guys maybe u can help me here, I had a acciedent it was repaired by insurance people an given back to me. Would this be put into any of the Catergorys? for when I sell it on? Would I have to tell the person I was selling it, I had a acciendent & that the insurance people have fixed it all up?

As already said, only way to be sure is to do a hpi type check yourself before putting it up for sale, it should not be listed but best to check.

I had an insurance write-off once (not the Lex), got a 7k payment, bought the car back from the insurance company for about 1k, got it repaired for 3k = 3k cash in pocket :) and it was not listed as any sort of write-off or damaged-repaired when I sold it. Although I prob eventually spent most of the extra 3k on mods and stuff anyway...

P.S. Sorry for stealing this thread abit :huh:

Categories only apply to cars which have been written off by the insurance companies. So no, if you have a prang and your insurance pays for it to be fixed, it won't appear on a list like that.

When it comes to selling it, you must tell them if they ask, but you don't have to offer the information. If they ask and you lie, you could be in trouble if there is a problem later on and it comes to light. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I don't think many people would be too worried if a proper job has been made of the repair, and I don't think I've ever had a garage ask me if I've had any accident damage repaired!

I wouldnt touch a Cat C IS200 - you can pick them up at reasonable prices now, so unless your getting a 2004 for 99 money, its not worth it!

Was going to say the same thing! IS's are soooo cheap :crybaby: .....walk away and look at some others :)