Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Old Lady Has Just Scraped My Wing

As the title says. I was sitting in the car at the time. She drove between me and another car and scraped both of us. I had to run after her to actually get her to stop. I don't have much damage, just a couple of scrapes on the corner of the bumper, but i do have a dent on the wing about the size of a £2 coin and the paint has flaked away to the metal. Do you reckon 'Chips Away' would be able to sort this, or will i need to go to a bodyshop. The old :tsktsk: is paying for it, but it isn't going through the insurance as i'll lose my no claims.

thanks in advance for any advice

Ally

How will you lose your no claims if she scraped your car? Surely as she hit two of you there's no way she can get out of it?

Either way, what colour is the car? And how high up on the car is the damage? If its high up and clearly visible, I wouldn't really recommend chipsaway - and as she's paying for it anyway, better get it done in a bodyshop.

Sorry to hear about it though, sounds like a really stupid accident, and pointless frustration

Sorry to hear that mate. You must be gutted. At least she is paying for it. There is nothing worse than coming back to your car and finding fresh damage and no one to take responsibility for it.

Anyway, Im no expert but if the paint has been broken you would need to take it to a bodyshop, especially if its a metallic paint. Trying to get a decent match and blending with the original is hard enough with full bodyshop facilities. Chips-Away and Dent Master are good for the small stuff but don't let them tell you they can punch above their weight.

We tried out one such service at the dealership. Claimed they could repair a scratch on the rear bumper (was about 3" long) on site in the open air. To say the least if I had went to Halfords and bought a tin of paint that was roughly the same shade and sprayed it over the scratch I would have had pretty much the same result.

To fix it properly it had to go to the bodyshop but we just thought we would entertain the notion that these guys could do an industry standard repair for less than fifty quid. (They approached us making these claims) suffice to say they didn't get paid.

As the title says. I was sitting in the car at the time. She drove between me and another car and scraped both of us. I had to run after her to actually get her to stop. I don't have much damage, just a couple of scrapes on the corner of the bumper, but i do have a dent on the wing about the size of a £2 coin and the paint has flaked away to the metal. Do you reckon 'Chips Away' would be able to sort this, or will i need to go to a bodyshop. The old :tsktsk: is paying for it, but it isn't going through the insurance as i'll lose my no claims.

thanks in advance for any advice

Ally

You should't lose your no claims if you go through insurance as it wasn't your fault and also it's not a non fault claim. It will be the woman who claims on her insurance so shouldn't effect yours at all.

But as already said i'd recommend going to a dealer as it's not going to cost you a penny. My sympathies are with you as it's always a pain as you'll probably lose your car for a day i just hope the garage will lend you a loan car.