Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

anyone had a front wheel bearing go? what are the symptoms and what's it sound like on an LS.

I was wondering as I have a bit of a grumble starting that seems to come from the front left.

I have anti roll bar bushes ready to fit but that's a different creak that happens on speed bumps ect.

anyone had a front wheel bearing go? what are the symptoms and what's it sound like on an LS.

I was wondering as I have a bit of a grumble starting that seems to come from the front left.

I have anti roll bar bushes ready to fit but that's a different creak that happens on speed bumps ect.

[/quote

Hi Alex,

I think the normal VOSA way is to raise the wheel off the ground and then try to wobble it side to side and then up and down you should feel play in it if there is any.

One person who had quite a bad worn hub/bearing problem described as " loud a jet engine" so i'd image it probably sounds like a grinding nose which gets louder as it wears out more ? I've seen LS wheel bearings being sold on eBay so i'd image this is an item which wears out.

Best to do as steve says i reckon, check for play.

Yes, I've had them go, and if it is the wheel bearing, you WILL hear it!

Usually a rumbling noise, that gets louder in proportion with road speed.

Do get it checked out asap, because if you drive without fixing it, then the hub gets knackered too, and then it gets expensive to fix!!!

jack up each side and spin the wheels, if its' a bearing it will sound rough....compare it with the opposite side

check both for side 'play' when rocking each wheel.....

Thanks fellas,

I will try jacking her up and spinning but I haven't heard the noise since, I think it may have been a combination of my slightly road noisy 18's and a road I don't normally drive on, my usual way home from work yesterday at a similar speed and I could not hear it.