Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One Fast Corvette

MacRS200

Because the speed is through the end of the quarter.

Look at it this way the Supra was doing 169 but it took 8.62 seconds to get there. The Corvette was doing 145.84 and took 4.905 seconds to get there.

Using those numbers the Corvette accelerated at 29.73 Mph/Sec the Supra was only 19.60 Mph/Sec so the Corvette is miles quicker.

Put another way if the Corvette kept accelerating at the same rate it would get up to 256 on the same 8.62 seconds to took for the Supra to reach 169. Or yet another way while the Corvette is crossing the line at 145 the supra is only half way and doing 96.

Make sense now?

Look at it this way the Supra was doing 169 but it took 8.62 seconds to get there. The Corvette was doing 145.84 and took 4.905 seconds to get there.

Using those numbers the Corvette accelerated at 29.73 Mph/Sec the Supra was only 19.60 Mph/Sec so the Corvette is miles quicker.

Put another way if the Corvette kept accelerating at the same rate it would get up to 256 on the same 8.62 seconds to took for the Supra to reach 169. Or yet another way while the Corvette is crossing the line at 145 the supra is only half way and doing 96.

Make sense now?

no, that does not make sense. what you are suggesting is impossible, unless the supra stopped, and then put his foot down again,

and it doesn't look like a 1/4mile for the corvette, it looks like 1/8th.

if both cars did the 1/4, then for a car to pass the 1/4 mile marker at 169, it would have got there there significantly quicker than a car with a terminal speed of 145. The laws of physics dude. You are missing out the distance in your equation.

Make sense now?

That's just nonsense. Take the acceleration to the extreme - if you fired a rocket down the same strip, it would pass the 1/4 mile mark after a fraction of a second, at several hundred mph. Or the other extreme, grandma in her 1.0 litre Micra bowling down the strip in 45 seconds. She may have had 45 seconds to accelerate, but she sure ain't going to be going quickly over the line... Unless the driver lifts off before the end, the quicker accelerating car will always be travelling faster when it crosses the line.

It can't have been a 1/4 mile strip, it must have been a 1/8 mile or the terminal speed would have been higher than the Supra's. Your maths is correct - had the strip been a 1/4 mile then the 'vette may well have been doing 256 over the line.

The only exception to this is if the driver lifts off before the end of the strip, so the terminal speed drops off right on the line. Drag racers do this if they're definitely going to win, in order to save the wear on the engine (which might only last a handful of runs!!)

@ star a and Mike_B, you are of course correct, my post seemed to make sense at the time after a night shift and a bit of day work as well :lol:

The speed calculations are simplistic as they assume that the acceleration is linear which it will not be it will be more asymptotic in nature.

After all that still effin quick cars compared to my lowly 11.5 at 93 best :lol:

After all that still effin quick cars compared to my lowly 11.5 at 93 best :lol:

:) Or even my 15.8 @ 88

Think my memory has finally gone west, can't have been 11.5 if you were 15.8 mate, I was slower than the face, I just checked and he was 14.6. Now where did I put those timing cards :lol: