Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My local Lexus dealer serviced my Mk4 in December and noted some play and knocking in the front "tie bars".

I then took the car to another dealer this week to look at a knocking noise when maneuvering at low speed. This turned out to be unrelated (pad springs missing from the front brakes), but they noted that the bushes in the "thrust arms" were starting to split.

Does anyone know if these are the same thing, or am I looking at two separate issues? :unsure:

KEITH

As far as I know, the "tie bar" problems probably refers to the bushes in the anti-roll bar.

The "thurst arm" (havn't come across this term before) might mean the control arm. There is an upper control and a lower control arm. The one where bushes wear out most often of LS400s is the upper control arm bushes (there are 2 on each control arm).

As far as I know, the "tie bar" problems probably refers to the bushes in the anti-roll bar.

The "thurst arm" (havn't come across this term before) might mean the control arm. There is an upper control and a lower control arm. The one where bushes wear out most often of LS400s is the upper control arm bushes (there are 2 on each control arm).

Thanks for your reply. :D

Having got the part numbers from the dealers, it turns out they are the same part. Looking them up on Lexus Parts Online, they're also known as strut rods. Loving the naming consistency! :hehe:

I'm guessing you are right that they are the anti-roll bars.

I'm glad the motoring industry is still trying hard to remove confusion by cutting down on jargon. :duh:

KEITH