Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im Back Again!

Well to start with Ill say that after my nasty stunt driving Accident last april in my First Lexus.

Since then Ive been a BMW series 3 owner which I found very boring and sluggish and also had Mazda RX8 which was fun but very expensive with its disappointing rotary engine thats very unreliable. (having said that RX stands for Rotary Experimental. after over 30 years they still havent finished experimenting and got it right! :-)

Anyway Im back this time with a high milage W reg IS200 SE in Gun-metal Grey. Currently on 100k with FSH. for £4500 Im not complaining. Had to clear my debts and settle for high milage after loosing out to my ever so fast depreciating Mazda. I wont be doing stunts in this one as my insurance company has stung me this year. eek!

----

Anyway i want to ask a question.... I have seen the odd lexus about with the rear side lights in a ring. Now is i wanted to know was this standard from a certain year onwards? if so.. Can you put the new style lights in the older Is200's?

OR are these lights im seeing the LED/Ring lights that are on eBay for about £200?

Got a feeling you are on about the ones from eBay, the LED replacements, the standard lights are kind of in a ring anyway, but all the changes were just to the colour of the reflector, ie chrome, dark chrome, dark goldy colour etc.

Got a feeling you are on about the ones from eBay, the LED replacements, the standard lights are kind of in a ring anyway, but all the changes were just to the colour of the reflector, ie chrome, dark chrome, dark goldy colour etc.

I saw a lexus IS200 with lights in the dark just as a ring just like on mondeo's. The LED ones on eBay have the LED's in the middle which the ones i saw didnt have those. Just the ring round the outside. it didnt look like any out of the ordinary modification. Im sure ive seen a few about. Maybe 2004 onwards?

I think we are all getting a bit confused.

The side lights on my car are in a large circle. By ring I mean just the outside of the circle is lit up. On the LED lights they have a bright ring round the outside and then LED's in the middle.

Coming to think about this.... im not what the brakes lights look like when on. Ill have to go out and have a look.

I think I understand what you mean now.......

On the standard lights, the centre is a reflector, and the bulb is right behind it. Therefore, if you stand up close, it looks like the whole thing is lit up.

However, if you go about 10 feet back and look at them, you'll see that the centre doesn't actually light up, and it will show as a ring just around the edge - the centre will not light up anywhere near as much as the reflector blocks out light going out directly backwards. So they are in fact a ring, both the side and brake lights will show up exactly the same, just brighter.

Hope I haven't confused you even more...... :lol:

I think I understand what you mean now.......

On the standard lights, the centre is a reflector, and the bulb is right behind it. Therefore, if you stand up close, it looks like the whole thing is lit up.

However, if you go about 10 feet back and look at them, you'll see that the centre doesn't actually light up, and it will show as a ring just around the edge - the centre will not light up anywhere near as much as the reflector blocks out light going out directly backwards. So they are in fact a ring, both the side and brake lights will show up exactly the same, just brighter.

Hope I haven't confused you even more...... :lol:

Think he may be referring to the DEPO LED brake lights. They come in black and chrome and sell on eBay for about £170.

i KNOW EACTLY WHAT YOU'RE ON ABOUT, I'VE NOTICED IT TOO. THE REAR LIGHTS AND BRAKE LIGHTS ON MINE RUN OFF A SINGLE DUAL BULB.

ON MY BACK LIGHTS, THE RED CIRCLUAR LIGHT LIGHTS UP COMPLETELY WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE TURNED ON. WHEN I BRAKE, IT GLOWS BRIGHTER.

I'VE SEEN A COUPLE OF NEWER IS200'S WITH A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SET UP. INSTEAD OF THE WHOLE LIGHT LIGHTING UP, ONLY A RING AROUND THE OUTSIDE GLOWS RED WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ON. WHEN BRAKING THE CENTRE OF THE LIGHT GLOWS BRIGHTLY.

WHEN TURNED OF, THEY LOOK IDENTICAL TO MY BACK LIGHTS.

DUNNO WHETHER I'M IMAGINING IT, BUT I SUSPECT IT MUST BE A FEATURE ON LATER IS200'S, IE THEY MUST RUN A SEAPARATE LIGHT AND BRAKE BULB INSTEAD OF A DUAL BULB.

HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE?? :duh:

As long as your brake lights work i don't see what all the fuss is about :lol:

Has got me curious though i'm going to turn my lights on and walk up and down the street and see if i can see a difference, then i'm going to start tailgaiting newer IS's and see what there brake lights do!!

I may have a rear end shut by next week tho!! :crybaby: