Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaky Front Brakes

P4UL T

I replaced my worn out discs and pads about 1500 miles ago with Mintex discs and pads.

Recently they are squeaking very badly which is :blush: and driving me :angry: .

• They have had enough time to bed in so it cant be that
  • I used loads of copper slip/grease, so it cant be that
  • I did remember to put the shims back in

Dont know what to do now, could it be the discs/pad combo or maybe the shims need replacing (do these wear out)?

Any ideas would be great,

Thanks

Paul

Mine squeal like f00k too mate, I just put up with it, it lets me know the brakes are working and with the rest of the noise my car makes I can't really hear it :lol:

i HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH A BMW COMPACT ONCE, AND THAT CAME ABOUT AFTER I HAD MINTEX PADS FITTED.

I JUST PUT UP WITH THE NOISE AND EVENTUALLY SOLD THE CAR ON.

DUNNO WHETHER IT WOULD BE WORTH GETTING THEM OFF AND GIVING THEM A CLEAN, MAKING SURE THERE ANY NO TINY STONES CAUGHT IN?

i KNOW HOW YOU FEEL THOUGH IT WAS BLOODY ANNOYING AND EMBARRASSING EVERYTIME I CAME TO A STOP IN THE CITY CENTRE.

DUNNO WHETHER IT WOULD BE WORTH GETTING THEM OFF AND GIVING THEM A CLEAN, MAKING SURE THERE ANY NO TINY STONES CAUGHT IN?

Oh yeah, forgot to say I have done that too,

no stones, but there were more little bits of metal in the pads than I expected, could it be this? they are not scoring the disc

• 3 weeks later...

I've had squeeking brakes on my lexus GS300 sport before, and after replacing the discs and pads for oem lexus parts. You may find that upon closer inspection of the shims that the inner shims have a black paint/coating on them, and that they are rusting underneath. If they have a bubbling effect on them its likely its rusted and theres an air gap in there. I simply scraped off the loose paint and cleaned the shims up with scotch brite, and it got rid of my squeeking. The other alternative is to buy some from toyota, but they aren't cheap.

I too had tried everything else before hand including using loads of copper ease/slip between the shims and the pads, and was still getting the squeeking, so I changed the pads, let them bed in, didn't work, changed the discs and let the pads bed in, didn't work and alas it was the rusted shims.

The next thing I need to solve is the stupid clunking noise my brakes are making when turning with my foot on the brake. I still think the disc to hub mount design is useless, most other cars have the discs fixed to the hub via bolt/screws, not just the alloy wheel and its nuts. I have been able to prevent the clunk before, that was by bending the caliper to pad mounting shims so they were holding them in snuggly, but even though they are still snug they clunk now.

Paul

I've had squeeking brakes on my lexus GS300 sport before, and after replacing the discs and pads for oem lexus parts. You may find that upon closer inspection of the shims that the inner shims have a black paint/coating on them, and that they are rusting underneath. If they have a bubbling effect on them its likely its rusted and theres an air gap in there. I simply scraped off the loose paint and cleaned the shims up with scotch brite, and it got rid of my squeeking. The other alternative is to buy some from toyota, but they aren't cheap.

I too had tried everything else before hand including using loads of copper ease/slip between the shims and the pads, and was still getting the squeeking, so I changed the pads, let them bed in, didn't work, changed the discs and let the pads bed in, didn't work and alas it was the rusted shims.

The next thing I need to solve is the stupid clunking noise my brakes are making when turning with my foot on the brake. I still think the disc to hub mount design is useless, most other cars have the discs fixed to the hub via bolt/screws, not just the alloy wheel and its nuts. I have been able to prevent the clunk before, that was by bending the caliper to pad mounting shims so they were holding them in snuggly, but even though they are still snug they clunk now.

Paul

Hi I had the same issue. All the pads were tight against the clips. What I found out was that the clips support the pad by stopping movement by hight and width. The srping for the width and hight were the wrong way round (overlapping wrong). So I change the way the overlap in each clip aand the clunk is now gone. Even when I reverse and go forward again. Problem fixed. :D