Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I just bought an LS430 from 2001 and I have some questions.

The car is in perfect condition and I got it from a dealer. It has the sat-nav and some other extra's too, all from Lexus. I had a 17 point snag list which was fixed last week except for a couple of little things.

1. In the boot there is an air purifier. What is this for?

2. When you put the drivers seat back, the head-rest goes up. The dealer says this is a feature, is this true?

3. There is a cool-box in the rear, behind the rear armrest and between the boot. How do you turn the cool air on to this?

4. Although I have set my memory seat, each time I start the car the steering wheel does not return to the correct position for me. The dealer is unhelpful with this issue. Any advice?

5. In the sat-nav options, there is a button called "motor-way mode". What is this for?

6. It has the smart-key system. Does anyone know if this will allow the keys to tell the car who the driver is and re-arrange the seats and air temp? If this model will do it, how can it be done?

Really looking forward to any answers and any help and advice.

Rear Air Conditioner Unit

2. When you put the drivers seat back, the head-rest goes up. The dealer says this is a feature, is this true?

I assume you mean when you tilt seat back?? in that case yes or at least mine did it :)

3. There is a cool-box in the rear, behind the rear armrest and between the boot. How do you turn the cool air on to this?

switch on rear air con to auto and drop temperature if I remember correctly.

4. Although I have set my memory seat, each time I start the car the steering wheel does not return to the correct position for me. The dealer is unhelpful with this issue. Any advice?

mmmm?? it should return to whatever position you stored TBH.

5. In the sat-nav options, there is a button called "motor-way mode". What is this for?

If it is same as current nav then this will display a window to the right of map showing motorway junctions and service stations

6. It has the smart-key system. Does anyone know if this will allow the keys to tell the car who the driver is and re-arrange the seats and air temp? If this model will do it, how can it be done?

I think so - you store all your settings as known user via the touchscreen and then you can set t key. TBH I think Lexus need to do this or it is buried in the manual.

Thanks Rillo, great help so far.

My LS430 does not have the president pack, so it just has the standard rear air-con vents. There are no buttons for the rear air-con. Any further advice?

What does TBH stand for?

Bring the car back to Lexus on Wednesday for a final fix and a valet. Will ask about the smart-key when I am there.

When I asked the dealer about the air-purifier I was told he'd get back to me about it...

Rear Air Conditioner Unit

I assume you mean when you tilt seat back?? in that case yes or at least mine did it :)

switch on rear air con to auto and drop temperature if I remember correctly.

mmmm?? it should return to whatever position you stored TBH.

If it is same as current nav then this will display a window to the right of map showing motorway junctions and service stations

I think so - you store all your settings as known user via the touchscreen and then you can set t key. TBH I think Lexus need to do this or it is buried in the manual.

Hi Hunt

If you press the climate button near the sat nav screen you may see the option to turn the rear air con on/off. (That's how it is on mine.)

As Rillo has said this has to be on for the cool box to work.

I'm not sure how low the temperature has to be as I haven't experimented with mine yet.

The memory seat; have you set this correctly?

Hold set and numbered memory seat postion button at the same time.

If you then say move the seat backwards/forwards for cleaning purposes I think you then have to push the numbered button to return the seat tthe desired position.

I don't think the smart key will do quite what you are asking but as Rillo mentions there are some functions for the key that a Lexus dealer can program for you.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help. I have the memory seat set correctly. When I start the car, I have to press "1" each time to bring the steering wheel back to the correct place each time.

Had a serious chat with the dealer as I was getting peed off with it. He is taking it in for the week next week and has pledged to fix it. He's giving me the RX400h for the week, as he knows I am thinking of getting my wife one!

He will also get me two new keys and program them for me, as well as teaching me about the air-purifier and the cool box. He's going to get me a manual for the sat-nav too.

Now I am a very happy camper.

I had a black LS400 from 1998 for the last 18 months. I had the window's tinded fairly black and the car looked amazing.

It had cream leather inside and I loved it.

The new LS430 is silver with black leather inside. (not my first colour choice, but the price was right. Also very few 2001's have the sat-nav in Ireland).

I am in two minds about getting the window's tinted in this one.

I have a couple of reason's why not. Can anyone assist.

1. As the LS430 has temperature sensors around the car that the A/C uses, will tinting affect that?

2. As the rear window has the blind you can put up, tinting the rear window renders the sun-shade useless?

3. Would it look any good on a silver car?

4. Would it make it very dark inside with the black leather?

Advice please!

Just to add that as far as I know when you turn the ignition the steering wheel should always return to the last position it was in.

I has the same issue with my LS400 but never resolved it.

Window tints are very much a matter of personal taste but I guess you could be right about it being a bit dark inside with a black interior!