Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Is200

mikey47

Hi just had a 60K service on my lex at Lexus Southend £600 :crybaby: .After they hit me with that the cambelt has been damaged by the tensioner, £400 to supply and fit :crybaby::crybaby: .

When i got up off the floor I went home and checked out Prolex, belt and tensioner £80. :)

Here's the plea can anyone recommend an independent in Essex to fit it.

Tried one guy he said there are special tools needed :huh:

what? A spanner and a tip-ex pen? there not that complicated, any GOOD garage can do it. They can only get it wrong or right, there is no inbetween. so if it doesn't drive out, then it's wrong and if it drives out it's right!? :D

what? A spanner and a tip-ex pen? there not that complicated, any GOOD garage can do it. They can only get it wrong or right, there is no inbetween. so if it doesn't drive out, then it's wrong and if it drives out it's right!? :D

Craigs right, any half decent garage should be able to do. Although the car would still drive out if its not fitted correctly...just oowuldnt las that long!

I imagine most garages will do it for no more than £100 if you have the bits. The book time is 2 and a half hours and lets fact it, thats usually top end estimate.

My belts being done by a friend for £70 on Wednesday.

Should look on the bright side, Audi quoted my mate £1,500 to change the belt on his A8. Had to remove the front bumper!! Even so, the book time on that is only 3 and half hours! Needless to say, he told them to jog on!

Craigs right, any half decent garage should be able to do. Although the car would still drive out if its not fitted correctly...just oowuldnt las that long!

If the belts on wrong, the timings out, if the timing is out it won't start and chances are it will bend the valves at the first turn of the starter moter. seal is lost and so compression is lost and it's a head off job!

how will it run if timing s out Kazi? :duh: :question:

or have I got this wrong? :tomato:

• 2 months later...

Hi Mikey47, I was just looking on the site for any references to a cambelt change and service in the Southend Lexus cos i've recently bought my IS200 and i seem to be compelled to keep up the LEXUS service record just because you kinda feel that it's not 'just another car', it a Lexus. My cars's coming up to 100K miles and is due for a major service, i was thinking wether it was worth taking it to Southend Lexus... but seeing how much others pay in the main dealers, i might stick with my local garage.

I've been taking my last 3 previous cars to Goodwin Motors in Great Wakering for the past 9 years now and they've proved very good, they charge £30 an hour labour and the guy Lenny who works there explains to you exactly what's gone wrong, how it works and how he plans to fix it. You could always pop down there and see, at the end of the day you're not obligated to use them so just get a quote from them first, tell 'em Sang recommended them to you. Or if you like you could hold off until i let them try their hands on my Lexus first then they can firmiliarise themselves with the workings of the IS200 so to speak...

Has anyone checked the service schedule at main dealers ? on both A & B services all they do is the oil and filters the rest are "checks" anything else is extra and the customer is advised if anything else is due or needs doing. When quoted £422 for a B service at Lexus Coventry i thought this would include everything that was due at the miles covered ie 63k cam belt, spark plugs etc. but no all are extra.

So i am happy when its time to sell the car i would point out to any prospective buyer that all the scheduled servicing has been done by X garage because Lexus don't actually do anything but oil changes and charge a fortune for anything else.

Wouldn't be so bad if they had cheaper rates for older cars.

Other option is to just have A services to get the stamp and get everything else done at local garage.

easy if the lower pulley comes off, if it doesnt then u have to go get a puller, and depending on the room you have to take the radiator out or at the least the cooling fan assy. That is providing you have a mate to help take the pulley bolt off or the special tool to hold the pulley