Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

About To Leave The Marque

Have had an RX300se nav for 18 months, experience not good to start with, but dealership responded with excellent service thereafter. Main issue is cost of fuel, around town, the proverbial 18-19mpg and at best on a run 25mpg. With a lot of my journeys around town working out expensive, plus Gordon Brown's contribution yesterday, a sign of things to come. Will no doubt only appreciate all the toys once its gone. (issues, 4 new alloys, broken adaptive headlight sensor, completely destroyed ECU, and a lurching gearbox. All items fixed without any quibble by local dealer who always offered a replacement car whilst off road. Worrying reliability though for car less than 2 years old.)

What will you get? Seriously - have you considered the new IS, it ain't that bad a car if you like Lexus/want to stay with the brand. The IS250 Auto is smooth, economical....

Have to agree; test drove the new IS 250 Auto and it was gorgeous to drive! However very limited for rear passengers....new GS is also superb to drive and has much more room in the back. In the end for practicality purposes we went for a RX300SE-Nav and are so far enjoying all aspects apart from petrol consumption! However we only do 4-5k per year so the cost implications are ok for us.

Dont worry too much about the tax brackets as they will only affect cars built later than 26th March 2006 and if you have enough money would suggest the RX400h as this will avoid the tax hikes on road tax and give you a much better 25-30mpg around town from reports.

It is poor having that many problems in a car under 2 years old though! From reports in the industry about Lexus quality though I would imagine you have just been unlucky.

Good luck with your future purchases!!

Have had an RX300se nav for 18 months, experience not good to start with, but dealership responded with excellent service thereafter. Main issue is cost of fuel, around town, the proverbial 18-19mpg and at best on a run 25mpg. With a lot of my journeys around town working out expensive, plus Gordon Brown's contribution yesterday, a sign of things to come. Will no doubt only appreciate all the toys once its gone. (issues, 4 new alloys, broken adaptive headlight sensor, completely destroyed ECU, and a lurching gearbox. All items fixed without any quibble by local dealer who always offered a replacement car whilst off road. Worrying reliability though for car less than 2 years old.)

You say that you have had all your problems fixed !! does that include the "lurching gearbox" ? Lexus Bracknell have told me that there is nothing wrong with mine, but the lurching/hesitant gearbox is terrible.

You say that you have had all your problems fixed !! does that include the "lurching gearbox" ? Lexus Bracknell have told me that there is nothing wrong with mine, but the lurching/hesitant gearbox is terrible.

I took mine back to the dealers a month ago having lived with the lurch since new.

They upgraded the ECU software, and now the dreaded lurch is much reduced ( although occasionaly evident).

I am much happier with the car now, so suggest you contact your dealer!

@bobby, Dealer told me they could remap gearbox and would cure lurching. When they attempted to do this it effectively blew up the ECU and the car was immobilised for 3 days. When back on the road the gear box appeared strangled but slightly smoother ( progress was slower )

Am moving back to BMW saloon (which is where I was before the Lexus) this time its an Alpina D3

@bobby, Dealer told me they could remap gearbox and would cure lurching. When they attempted to do this it effectively blew up the ECU and the car was immobilised for 3 days. When back on the road the gear box appeared strangled but slightly smoother ( progress was slower )

Am moving back to BMW saloon (which is where I was before the Lexus) this time its an Alpina D3

Intersting - I aam thinking of D3 to replace my Mini cooper S

FWIW on the fuel economy issue, having had our RX300SE for about 2 months now, I cna say that regardless of the rgade of fuel we have used, the car returns 20MPG in town and 23MPG long run (cruise set to 80MPH verified by the SatNav). I had hoped that premium fuel might make a difference, but I cannot discern any real difference.

From what i ahve read, this MPG seems to be the norm for the RX300 - and to be honest, I can stomach because of the immense utility the vehicle affords us on any journey over and above any car (estate or otherwise) we have had before.