Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everybody,

New Lexus owner and member of Lexus Owners Club.

Ok, not quite a new Lexus owner yet - it's being delivered this Friday.

It's replacing an Audi A4, so I am very interested to see how the Lexus Is220d compares after happy Audi ownership (I have been lucky in that my local dealer is very good).

Anyway, just saying hi, will perhaps post some piccies once I have it?

Cheers

Mark

Hello everybody,

New Lexus owner and member of Lexus Owners Club.

Ok, not quite a new Lexus owner yet - it's being delivered this Friday.

It's replacing an Audi A4, so I am very interested to see how the Lexus Is220d compares after happy Audi ownership (I have been lucky in that my local dealer is very good).

Anyway, just saying hi, will perhaps post some piccies once I have it?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark - Welcome. It'll be interesting to compare notes with you, as I too came a happy a bunny from Audi. Mine was a '52 A4 1.9PDi/130SE 5sp manual, what was yours?

You've got same spec as mine SE/MM - what colour?

Hi Mark - Welcome. It'll be interesting to compare notes with you, as I too came a happy a bunny from Audi. Mine was a '52 A4 1.9PDi/130SE 5sp manual, what was yours?

You've got same spec as mine SE/MM - what colour?

Hi Jamboo,

Thanks for your very prompt reply and welcome!

My Audi is a 2.5TDI quattro SE saloon 6spd manual, its on an 05 plate but is a B6 model so its one of the last made and stacked with extras.

The Lexus is to be a velvet black with pembroke leather - fancied the oakham biege but not very practical!

Have been loitering for a few weeks, so know all about the issues with gears, economy and ECU upgrades so will update with my findings - bearing in mind mine is a new one and may have some improvements?

Will post some comparisons with the Audi once I have done a few miles - driving to Cardiff and back Saturday so that should be a nice run to get aquainted.

Cheers

Mark

After driving a new A4 2.0TDi S-Line for the last week I think I may have been a bit harsh on the IS220Ds that I have tried in the past. The engine is positively agricultural and you can feel/hear the noise/vibration at all speeds - along with the excessive wind noise. Also, the ride is very jiggly, maybe it's the Audi's shorter wheelbase or the S-Line suspension but the difference between it and the Lexus is quite pronounced. On top of all that the fuel economy is averaging at 34mpg. The only part I felt the Audi was superior was in quality of gearchange.

After driving a new A4 2.0TDi S-Line for the last week I think I may have been a bit harsh on the IS220Ds that I have tried in the past. The engine is positively agricultural and you can feel/hear the noise/vibration at all speeds - along with the excessive wind noise. Also, the ride is very jiggly, maybe it's the Audi's shorter wheelbase or the S-Line suspension but the difference between it and the Lexus is quite pronounced. On top of all that the fuel economy is averaging at 34mpg. The only part I felt the Audi was superior was in quality of gearchange.

Comparing my current Audi against the Lexus should be quite and eye opener.

For a fairly similar power output (177 Lexus / 180 Audi) the Lexus SHOULD feel livelier as the Audi:

Has to push all four wheels through the extra weight/power using 4 wheel drive

Has to carry a V6 as opposed to straight 4

Has less torque - 340 against 400 for the Lexus.

Should be interesting!

PS I am currently getting an average of 35-36mpg from the Audi so hoping to be no better nor worse off.

The Lexus has landed!

It arrived yesterday morning at 11.45.

Good news on the economy front so far, it was driven down from Ipswich and averaged 40mpg.

I went out and about locally yesterday afternoon, and the economy dropped to 38.7 - 38.9.

Drove to Cardiff and back today, with an average of 40mpg.

Cruise control on most of way, 6th gear - 75-80mph.

Mark

The Lexus has landed!

It arrived yesterday morning at 11.45.

Good news on the economy front so far, it was driven down from Ipswich and averaged 40mpg.

I went out and about locally yesterday afternoon, and the economy dropped to 38.7 - 38.9.

Drove to Cardiff and back today, with an average of 40mpg.

Cruise control on most of way, 6th gear - 75-80mph.

Mark

Well done Mark I wish you luck with your NEW purchase. The economy will get better so long as you drive the car like the very nice saloon it is. If you go into Dragster mode be prepared for low 30s mpg all the time.

Happy motoring :D

NBLG - I agree it's agricultural. Nothing beats the VAG 1.9PDi 130, for me still one of the best diesel engines that any money can buy in that price range.

Mark - well done - how was the weekend? Where are the photos - they're mandatory you know :winky:

NBLG - I agree it's agricultural. Nothing beats the VAG 1.9PDi 130, for me still one of the best diesel engines that any money can buy in that price range.

Mark - well done - how was the weekend? Where are the photos - they're mandatory you know :winky:

Went well over the weekend, great drive (very quiet - 80 feels like 60!) great sat nav, great stereo - chuffed.

Went into the office today - 200 miles round trip and averaged 40.5mpg (was driving at 80'ish' too - wasn't hanging about)

Photos are on the way - was busy over the weekend and shes dirty already, so once shes been cleaned I will take some piccies.

Mark

PS Forgot to mention, build quality is great, no annoying rattles. Although the 'undocumented feature' of the vibrating rear view mirror is annoying. It seems to be the mirror itself as if you touch your hand on the windscreen, no vibration can be felt.

Nice, now you just need to get a matching squeegee - grey or black would suit best. hehe!

...the vibrating rear view mirror is annoying. It seems to be the mirror itself as if you touch your hand on the windscreen, no vibration can be felt.

If you place your fingers behind the mirror (on the backplate) with even moderate pressure you can feel it vibrate.