Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

:duh: Hi Guys,

So Gordon's announced his tax rises & the motorist is hard hit again. I wondered what was meant by GAS GUZZLERS whose cost for road tax is to go up to £400.

The LS400 is a big engined car - does it fit the category even tho mine does 30 MPG on a run?

Maybe it's limited to 4 x 4s? Anyone any the wiser??

Cheers,

JM

From what I've read on here it only affects vehicles manufactured / registered after March 2001 with a CO2 emissions figure, so don't think we're affected as we're classed by engine size (well actually we affected are but only to the tune of a fiver!)

The new band G only refers to car's registered from tommorow onwards, the highest band any car before that can be is band F so my Camry, or an LS430 would be £205, yet someone who buys an LS460 and gets it tommorow will pay £300 this year, and £400 next year.

The new band G only refers to car's registered from tommorow onwards, the highest band any car before that can be is band F so my Camry, or an LS430 would be £205, yet someone who buys an LS460 and gets it tommorow will pay £300 this year, and £400 next year.

It's 'first registered after March 06' that it affects, not tomorrow. Only cars registered after this date can be in band G, no matter what emissions they produce, and the tax is based on the group the car is in.

It's done this way to avoid killing the price of second-hand cars, whilst simultaneously encouraging new cars to be lower emission models. Over the coming years, the proportion of high-emission cars on the road will get lower and lower as they get scrapped and replaced with newer ones. I doubt that £400 is going to stay that way for more than a few years, I can see it going up to 4 figures over the coming decade.

So look after your V8, it might be the last one you can afford! I intend to look after mine... B)

One day I plan to buy a few series 1 and 2 LS400s coz these cars are something special in the way they look. They are future Lexus classics. I intend to look after them and once they get past their 25th birthdays then they will be exempt from road tax HEHEHE. :)

Are you sure about that?

I thought the 'rolling' over of years was stopped at 1973 or so for so called classics.

I have a couple of MGB's, one a 3500cc V8 and is road tax free and the other an 1800cc four pot costs me £96 a year as its a 1975 car and not tax free.

Doh ! :blink: your right Keith, it did stop at 1973. :(

However Steam powered vehicles are exempt maybe its possible to fit a coal fired steam engine in place of that V8 :P

I wonder which band the LS600h will come in. Due to it being a hybrid maybe its CO2 emissions will be less than 225 g/km ?

Well that's a relief - I was wondering about that too. Of course, by having to pay £400, owners of affected vehicles will vow to get their money's worth and actually drive all the way to work, rather than leaving them in the station car parks. That makes sense! Incorporate 'road fund' cost in fuel price? Never! Far too logical! (Don't get me started on this.)

:tsktsk:

• 2 weeks later...

cleverdick, I'm with you 100% on this one, its the fairest way to tax road users PLUS it taxes the folk that drive around without tax PLUS Gorden would be collecting a bit more from all those tourists and Polish cars I see driving around. Gordon would be better off putting another few pence on a litre of fuel.

HOWEVER, just look at this costings example, for my LS400: 20,000 miles a year at 25 mpg, thats 800 gallons a year or about 3600 litres. To raise the current duty of £180 a year, this would be another 5 pence a litre.