Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've had my 2001 GS300 SE Nav now for about a year and a half. It has performed perfectly, and appart from normal servicing, two front tyres and an upgrade satnav dvd, I am most happy with it. However, I have a bit of a dilemma. I had a drive in a new GS430 at a Lexus open day and really enjoyed the power, refinement etc. I have also had a go in the LS430 as well. Even quieter, didn't seem much slower, more toys etc. As I am now thinking of changing my GS for either with the v8 engine, I just can't seem to make my mind up about the new GS or the LS. I just wonderd, given the choice, what would you lot choose?

I've had my 2001 GS300 SE Nav now for about a year and a half. It has performed perfectly, and appart from normal servicing, two front tyres and an upgrade satnav dvd, I am most happy with it. However, I have a bit of a dilemma. I had a drive in a new GS430 at a Lexus open day and really enjoyed the power, refinement etc. I have also had a go in the LS430 as well. Even quieter, didn't seem much slower, more toys etc. As I am now thinking of changing my GS for either with the v8 engine, I just can't seem to make my mind up about the new GS or the LS. I just wonderd, given the choice, what would you lot choose?

Personally with all the tax problems and petrol costs atm i would go for a gs450h better on fuel and you wont get hit with 400 quid a year tax

Thanks for your reply. I'm not too botherd about having to pay the extra tax on petrol etc. I think it comes with the territory. I had a go in a GS450h. It is a damn quick car but you do loose a fair amount of boot space apparantly. Also, being brought up in Australia where almost everyone had a V8, it is what I'm looking forward too the most. I just can't make my mind up between the GS and the LS.

Unless you're thinking of a brand new one, then the only thing with the tax someone mentioned is that you need to get one registered prior to March 2006. Then they'll both be band F and therefore lower road tax rating. Are you thinking of an LS430 or the new 460?

Other than that, they're both fantastic cars. I've got a 430 version of your current car and it's superb - not sure I can see a time when the extra luxury of the LS would be needed. After all, once you've got full leather, climate control, a V8 motor, great comfort, plenty of space in the cabin, big boot, sat-nav (if fitted, it's not in mine as I prefer a TomTom), HID headlights, etc etc etc, what more do you really need?

And since the new LS (the 460) is, to my eyes, much better looking than the previous 430 one, I'd definitely look to a new-style GS as there's no way I could afford a latest-style LS. Your finances, of course, may vary!!

Having been lucky enough to own both it really boils down to this :

Do you want a wafty uber comfy big car which does not encourage hooliganism or a slightly smaller, more sporty drive? If it's the former it's the LS, the latter then the GS.

You won't be disappointed by either but if you are the kind of person who likes an occasional B road blast I would edge towards the GS.

Well if you're daft enough to need us lot to validate which lump of metal you want to buy, give me the money and I'll let you know what I chose.

LS - mack daddy of the Lexus range...and then PIMP it up..with 2 inch drop, 20 inch rims, gangsta tints...oh, I'm daydreaming again...

GS is probably a good everyday blend of comfort, power, spec and handling.