Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Headlight Blew Up!

Well today was one of those days which just goes wrong from the moment the alarm goes off in the morning, or not in my case. After being harrassed all day at work i come home to find my new headlights have arrived. I went and bought a set headlights 04 spec ( darker inserts ) and they had arrived much quicker than expexted! so off i go to fit them, got them in after a bit of stress and put in my mecca tune white diamond bulbs. On way to show a mate my latest addition to my pride and joy the passanger side bulb went. Thinking nothing of it i carried on regardles. On ispection once i arrived i noticed not only did it go but it exploded! leaving my new light covered in glass on the inside and a burn mark along the edge of the light! Needless to say i was not at all happy!

Has this happened to anyone else on here? The guy who i was goin to see had exactly the same thing happen to him with mecca's ( and his free replacements ). Is this a fault on their behalf? Would it be worth trying to get them to pay for a new light?

Didn't even have the chance to take a pic :(

Gutted!

away to go and have a look in the daylight, figured the best way to get the glass out would be to take them out again and stick a dyson in and shake it about. Not happy though, wouldn't have minded if it happened 2 hours before hand as the old ones were still in but thats karma for ya lol.

did you touch them at all ?

usual reason the lamps will blow is because of contminents on the glass causing them to overheat, 9/10 its because fingers have touched them

you will find the manufacturer may replace the lamps but will shirk all responsibility for the headlight :crybaby:

I did try to keep them as clean as possible however it would be possible that dust got on them but this shouldn't cause them blow up!

It was when i met my mate and he saw the damage and without me saying anything there he asked if they had been mecca tunes as it happened to him.

jay, dust will do nothing to the lamps they are must be faulty in manufacture to blow that quick.

even the greasiest of finger prints wouldn't cause it to misshape like that.

if you are happy to continue using them i would find a way of trying the lamps out side the headlight unit for a few hours and make sure that it doesn't mis shape after a short while.

That's not a discharge bulb in that picture; that's a standard filament type with a blue coating on the glass. It may have a Xenon gas filling but it's traditional technology essentially.

Discharge bulbs work by putting a very high voltage (several kV) across a small gap so you get a little arc between the electrodes. This reacts with the gas mixture inside the bulb to create a glowing plasma that produces the light. They also need extra equipment to produce the high-voltage.

Either type will work in the IS so long as they are fitted properly (the additional equipment I mean); so it looks like a duff bulb to me. Personally I think I'd go for a refund and get another manufacturer's bulb; one failure might be unlucky, but it looks and sounds like very poor quality control at the manufacturer from the picture and story!

Incidentally I think I'm right in saying that the contamination problem on the glass is caused by the acid present in the sweat on your fingers, at the extremely high temperatures on the bulb surface it reacts with the glass causing problems. It also evaporates and reacts with the shiny reflector surface causing it to dull...