Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 / Is220 17 Inch 10 Spoke Wheels - On Back Order

I am now on my 3rd IS 250 after a brief fling with a G.S.

I collected my current car on March 10th (only 5 months old) and yesterday noticed that the front alloys seem to have area's where the finish seems to be matt and feels course to touch.

Is there an inherent quality issue with the 10 spoke alloys?

Thanks

Yes, they tend to start corroding under the lacquer to start with on the back face of the wheels ( i.e. the bit you can't see ). Then it appears on the edge of that so you can see it. Somebody please explain this better :)

Are Lexus dealers aware of this - is it a case of visiting a dealer and having the wheels replaced under the warranty?

I'm on my 4th Lexus within a year - i have had the lot:

Replacement sat nav system

Replacement front seat

Various attempts to fix rattles

Then swithed to a 250 sport which had gearbox and smartkey problems

Then switched to a G.S which had dash rattle, front squeaky seat and centre console rattle

Finally returned to an IS 250 SEL on March 10th - initially o.k until the front seat had to have the creak removed, now the front alloys are cause of concern

I'm a patient bloke, but the above have really tested my loyalty with the brand

I think another visit to the dealer is in order .

Are Lexus dealers aware of this - is it a case of visiting a dealer and having the wheels replaced under the warranty?

I'm on my 4th Lexus within a year - i have had the lot:

Replacement sat nav system

Replacement front seat

Various attempts to fix rattles

Then swithed to a 250 sport which had gearbox and smartkey problems

Then switched to a G.S which had dash rattle, front squeaky seat and centre console rattle

Finally returned to an IS 250 SEL on March 10th - initially o.k until the front seat had to have the creak removed, now the front alloys are cause of concern

I'm a patient bloke, but the above have really tested my loyalty with the brand

I think another visit to the dealer is in order .

Blimey, you are a patient person!

When you say 4th Lexus, were they all successfully rejected, or did it cost you over and above any extra purchase price (in other words did they sting you for depreciation on each car exhanged) :question: I think by now I would have defected :shifty: !

Mine has 3 blisters on the inside of the spokes on one wheel only. I'm hoping the others hold out, or is that a futile hope?

This did happen on my Audi too :blush: , so it's not a Lex-Only phenomenon from my experience :excl:

Somebody please explain this better :)

I can.

poor design

a patient person!

When you say 4th Lexus, were they all successfully rejected, or did it cost you over and above any extra purchase price (in other words did they sting you for depreciation on each car exhanged) :question: I think by now I would have defected :shifty: !

Mine has 3 blisters on the inside of the spokes on one wheel only. I'm hoping the others hold out, or is that a futile hope?

This did happen on my Audi too :blush: , so it's not a Lex-Only phenomenon from my experience :excl:

Jamboo, both of my front wheels started to blister on the inside. Leicester replaced all four, no problem.

Yes it did cost me every time.

However, i must say that the IS i have now is great - i love the look of it, the ride and believe it or not - the quietness.

The face of the front alloys feel quite course to touch, as if paintstipper has been brushed onto the surface.

It may of been a poor repair??

I think i will visit the dealer over the Easter period.

Toyota have a massive warranty history when it comes to alloy wheel blistering / corrosion. The head of the design and manufacturing divisions responsible want their back-sides kicking :blink: .

My dealer said they hadn't heard of the problem with the new IS (I'm certain I'm not the first...), so I'm waiting a bit to get them exchanged nearer the end of my warranty period to maximise the benefit with what will hopefully be 'counter-measured' wheels.

Toyota / Lexus should speak to BMW who seem to have cracked it (I've had three over a space of ten years, totally ignored and therefore 'abused' their alloys, and never had a single problem :winky:)

Mark

• 3 weeks later...