Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Throttle Problem And Bad Economy

Tron20

Hey all, been having a strange problem with my GS300 sport of late. The car drives perfectly fine other than these two problems. I've noticed that when cold as I'm cruising along if I release the accelerator completely the car kinda jolts, and this can be repeated as many times as you like by pressing the accelerator down and then letting off completely, its kind of like dabbing the brakes. I'm not sure if this is related to the throttle position sensor, or the automatic choke, etc. I'm also not sure if this is linked to the poor (extremely in my opinion) fuel economy. I filled the car up with petrol (£61 worth) and managed to do only 254 miles before needing more fuel, this is with around 40 miles a day of near urban driving, but I expect to still get around 21mpg in urban conditions, which this value obviously isn't...

I have to say though I've struggled to get above 24mpg on a long run since i've had the car. If anyone has any opinions on how i can check various electronic sensors (i.e. throttle position sensor, and the o2 sensors) or can point me in the direction of a workshop manual, I'd really appreciate it. My car has only covered 77000 from new and I don't really fancy selling it at the moment so long as I can get the fuel economy up.

Thanks

Paul

Edit:- I also forgot to mention the jolting effect doesn't entirely disappear when warm either, it still seems to manefest itself, I'm wondering if this is causing overfueling to a degree. I've not seen any check engine lights, or anything else wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

So no one is able to help me on this little dilemma I'm having then? It's still doing it, and I'm unsure of its cause. However like most cars, you notice one thing, then start noticing more, now I've found a hole in one of my rear silencer pipes, its doubtful this is linked to the jolting sensation, but has made the exhaust sound louder. I'm also noticing a clicking from the engine, not sure if its anything to do with the exhaust manifold or if its valves which need adjusting, but I'm tempted to book it in for a full service, and see what toyota can find out...

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There

I have no idea what the problem could be but I can say I have the exact same problem. I've only noticed when I'm doing motorway driving and seemed to happen everyday but not too often. I assume the car needed a good service. I get similar fuel economy to you, about 300 miles per £50 motorway and about 250 miles in town.

Baarish

It may be that it needs a service, take it would be an 80k service? my guessing would be a main service?

Spark plugs in good condition?

My IS200 has thew joltyness when its on its effective 'choke' stage...it did go when i cleaned the throttle body and run through a fuel system cleaner.

The tapping could just be your fuel injection system.

Do you use higher grade fuel, BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power?

Fuel economy, are your tyres correct psi?

Aaron

• 1 month later...

May not be much help here but I do have issues with the electronic throttle connection, I find it hard to set off from standstill without a rather undignified jolt, I have always assumed it was a dirty switch on the pedal or something, but hadn't thought of a throttle body clean. Is this something the 2001 GS300 engine suffers from? The wife's Punto wouldn't stop stalling until a spray of cleaner went through and now it's perfect.

And as a PS kind of thing, I have read elsewhere that the o2 sensors can have a large impact on fuel economy, but they can be expensive to replace, the last chap that wrote about it said it was half the price to get them sent over from the US. I'll see if I can find the info later, hope this helps. I'm getting mine done soon I think if they have that much effect.

And as a PS kind of thing, I have read elsewhere that the o2 sensors can have a large impact on fuel economy, but they can be expensive to replace, the last chap that wrote about it said it was half the price to get them sent over from the US. I'll see if I can find the info later, hope this helps. I'm getting mine done soon I think if they have that much effect.

Mine has the jolt too and it has just been in to Lexus who could not find it, i suspect it maybe something to do with the fueling/idle speed as when coming to a stop in traffic or junction then accelerate away there is a delay in drive taking up and then a jolt when the gearbox kicks into drive. I was hoping a gearbox oil change would fix it.