Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Our RX400h is coming up for two years old.

Do you think it is better to trade at 2 years or 3?

We have double black just now. thoughts on best colur combo?

Is there a new or improved model in the pipeline or is it safe to change now?

Spizz

Hi,

It looks like there is a new revised version coming out probably late next year, just type "Lexus RX 2009" into google and have a read of some of the articles, stuff like "L" version with 7 seats.

Don't know whether you want to wait that long, but mine will be 3 about then so a good time to change.

If you do PX, I'd be interested to hear the depreciation after 2 years!

Cheers

Jon

Hi,

It looks like there is a new revised version coming out probably late next year, just type "Lexus RX 2009" into google and have a read of some of the articles, stuff like "L" version with 7 seats.

Don't know whether you want to wait that long, but mine will be 3 about then so a good time to change.

If you do PX, I'd be interested to hear the depreciation after 2 years!

Cheers

Jon

Jon,

Thanks so much for that. Close shave. I would hate to buy another one this year and find it superseded next. Love the present model - but I am sure the next one will be better still.

We were offered £31,500 - first regd July 2005 - 17k on the clock.

I wonder if they will take an order for the 2009. Would be nice to be first in the queue.

What do you think?

Thanks again for your guidance.

Spizz

Hi,

£31,500 after 2 years 17K miles is pretty good for trade in, assuming you paid around £42,000 for it, that's only about 5K a year depreciation, I was thinking it would be more like 7K.

That said, a two year old 400h with only 17K on the clock is a very very nice car, especially given the current retail price.

Cheers

Jon

Hi,

£31,500 after 2 years 17K miles is pretty good for trade in, assuming you paid around £42,000 for it, that's only about 5K a year depreciation, I was thinking it would be more like 7K.

That said, a two year old 400h with only 17K on the clock is a very very nice car, especially given the current retail price.

Cheers

Jon

So Jon - worth changing now - or better to hang on? What do you think?

Personally I'd hang on - your car will be about 3 and a half when the new model comes out, so will still fetch a decent price trade-in, given you clearly do only reasonable mileage per year.

Or you could get another one right now and trade it in when it's two.

Let's assume you'd loose 10K on a new one over two years, and 6-8K on your current one over the same time, then you are looking at 2-4K extra loss over two years - peanuts really, and you'd need new tyres for your current one - that's 500 quid.

It's much the same, financially, so why not have a new model now and another in 18 months to two years time.

So I've changed my mind - have a nice new car now, haggle like mad and make the maths even better, people are talking about 10% discounts on new models, so that's a 4K saving.

I have been following this thread with some intrest. The advice you have received thus far seems to be very sound. You seem to ahev suffered little depreciation on your current car and unless you can find a really good reason to change your 400, stick with it - and msot certainly till its clsoe to 3 eyars old and then sell it on...new model or not...because with the Road Tax change sbeing implemented, cars like the 400 might ebcome more desireable and thereby hold their values better as 'new' SUVs are likely to fall foul of teh higher SUV tax bands.

£31k P/X sounds very juicey indeed -was that Lexus offering you that agaisnt anotehr Lexus? I would eprhaps say that you go to BMW or Land rover and see what they'd offer you as a compraable PX price to see how 'generous' Lexus are being...