Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Center Console Unnerving Noises!

Please forgive me if this has been answered previously, however I've only just found the forum having taken delivery of my IS220D before Christmas.

The question I have is, has anyone else experienced a rather unnerving cracking type sound from the center console. I initially thought it may be due to a ventilation damper moving whilst circulating air, however i'm not sure. It is only very intermittant and might only happen on occasion, therefore i'm a little reluctant to get the center console stripped down by the dealer inevitably resulting in a rebuild with more squeeks. If anyone else has any other experience of this your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Apart from that pretty much happy with the car.

Does this happen when the temperature changes?

Possibly though it is only a very gradual temperature change, generally set at 20degC, aircon usually off. It seems others are experiencing the same kind of problem, i wondered if anyone had recently had it fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I found, being 6' 4" that my leg rests against the centre console, pushing the plastic side trim onto the centre console surface, by lifting my leg a little the cracking stops, :blink: not an ideal fix, but hey...

I also agree, temp has a lot to do with it.

Got a severe knocking noise on the left door, fall for it every time, the seatbelt has not retracted properly and knocks on the door pillar :excl:

My 220d MM is badly affected by the crackle it seems to come from the dash centre speaker as if I press down hard on it its stops. On cold mornings its dreadful for a good 10 mins until things warm up. I can't understand why Lexus did not spot this when they tested the car.

I noticed that if you switch on the wiper de-icer heater thingy button it seems to warm the area up and stops the noise a bit quicker.

Friends who have been in the car are astonished that such an obvious fault has not been sorted before the car went on sale, this plus other bits like the lack of lighting for the mirror adjustment switches, instrucment stalks and interior light buttons really bugs me and makes me wonder how much attention to detail Lexus really put into the car - no way would this happen with Audi, BMW, Honda even.

My 220d MM is badly affected by the crackle it seems to come from the dash centre speaker as if I press down hard on it its stops. On cold mornings its dreadful for a good 10 mins until things warm up. I can't understand why Lexus did not spot this when they tested the car.

centre speaker is an easy fix, so don't worry, dealer will sort it out.

Friends who have been in the car are astonished that such an obvious fault has not been sorted before the car went on sale, this plus other bits like the lack of lighting for the mirror adjustment switches, instrucment stalks and interior light buttons really bugs me and makes me wonder how much attention to detail Lexus really put into the car - no way would this happen with Audi, BMW, Honda even.

well, savings.... btw how many times per day (or night ;) ) do you adjust your mirrors? :)

... don't kid yourself about BMWs and Audis not rattling...and as for Lexus overlooking this particular issue, well, I think they know about it now. The cracking noise I'm sure is the centre mounted speaker, and there is a fix.

I had the same problem with my pre-owned '56, and Lexus (Derby) dealt with it immediately, as they did for the occasional rattle around the passenger side register (air vent), where the wire harness can catch against the plastic trim surround. They actually had the whole dash out to deal with any other potential issues at the same time, and you wouldn't know it had ever been out, apart from the fact that the car is eerily silent now (I can now hear my watch strap rattle if I drive over bumps; now that's quiet!!)

The reason I think Lexus know about this is because the loan car (brand new) that I had for a couple of days whilst the dash was removed was absolutely silent.

My BMW330 Ci Sport Coupe still had cracks and rattles that BMW couldn't fix when I sold it ...

Mark

... don't kid yourself about BMWs and Audis not rattling...and as for Lexus overlooking this particular issue, well, I think they know about it now. The cracking noise I'm sure is the centre mounted speaker, and there is a fix.

I had the same problem with my pre-owned '56, and Lexus (Derby) dealt with it immediately, as they did for the occasional rattle around the passenger side register (air vent), where the wire harness can catch against the plastic trim surround. They actually had the whole dash out to deal with any other potential issues at the same time, and you wouldn't know it had ever been out, apart from the fact that the car is eerily silent now (I can now hear my watch strap rattle if I drive over bumps; now that's quiet!!)

The reason I think Lexus know about this is because the loan car (brand new) that I had for a couple of days whilst the dash was removed was absolutely silent.

My BMW330 Ci Sport Coupe still had cracks and rattles that BMW couldn't fix when I sold it ...

Mark

Mine was absolutely silent for the first few weeks, then it all went a tad pear shaped. The IS isn't the only Lexus to suffer rattling fit, the GS and RX have both been affected, though I believe to a lesser level. All of the courtesy cars I've had have had a problem, and that too is unacceptable. Some gaages are better than others when it comes to things like this.

As far as German cars rattling - well 3 series BMW's are renowned for the odd rattle early into production, but I have ad a few German cars on the trot, none of mine actually rattled at all. In fact the Audi was a haven for piece and quiet - totally outstanding build quality. Every piece of plastic and metal, whilst sombre in appearance, was fabulously well engineered. Sometimes over engineered...but it justified the price.

But then that's what I expected from a Lexus - especially as it is in "pursuit of perfection". Well, until it "finds perfection" :lol: , I think I'll be shopping elsewhere next time untless a miracle occurs!

In the end, I wasn't keen for the dash to be stripped out, so I settled for the foam fix. But it's not right, and it haunts me every time I hear a creak, which I still do. The car is 95% of where it should be, and that 5% is where I have thrown in the towel and compromised.

Of course I do still love the car, don't get me wrong, but I can't justify or recommend it for anything other than value for money and rarity. Bottom line line is - other than the engine and mechanicals, the car is not that well designed or engineered. It's mostly form over function from a space and practicality persepective, and too many different grade of plastics (some hard shiny, some soft) on and around the dash and console are always gonna cause problems. Just look at a Pug or a Vauxhall and hear them rattle - I had an Astra and Vectra - both new in the past few weeks as hire cars, and boy they are bad...the shiny plastic trim does look familiar though.

This is where Audi's, BMW 5 series and the latest Mercs (S class) win - they feel as though they were hewn from one piece...

PS - one final thing - there will always be some cars, any make or model, that will rattle or have inherent flaws in the design. I accept that the new IS has an issue to some extent (though not all are affected), but if there are cars being delivered now with either a squeaky seat, rattling vents or speaker grill, then it's not acceptable. Especially as these were evident on many early cars from launch in Nov 05! The problem I think was that dealers (and Lexus?) were in denial of a problem for too long...that also applies to fuel economy on the diesel.

I have to say (and I'm touching all of the wood I can see whilst I do) that 4000 miles on I have not experienced any rattles, squeeks or creaks. The fuel economy seems to be improving (but still not great) and my wheels are still looking ok.

Maybe I've been lucky - time will tell I guess.

I had a 330ci - 330ci which had the full audio system and satnav in it, awesome car, really pulled well, lovely drive. However, there was a constant hiss coming through the speakers, even when the audio system was off, ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss and once you were focussed on the sound it drove you up the wall!! So I went back to BMW with it, and the sales manager had a 330 convertible with the same audio system in his, but his did not hiss! So I said, if one does not hiss, then I am sure mine should not as well. They spent weeks pulling bits out of my brand new car, he called me in to say they had fixed it and it was exactly the same.

So he said they were going to remove the seats and carpet, I said, no I want my money back or a replacement car, which he agreed to immediately.

So my brand new BMW arrived, still wrapped in the packing and I turned the key to position 2, ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, so I swapped it for a Z4 with all the trimmings, which was mad really, but hey, I was in a Mid life crisis and had to spend money :blink: .... Unfortunately, I lost the Z4 to my ex-wife when we got divorced, I got the house, she got the £38k Z4! :( Never mind.....

So there you go, lots of cars, not matter what you spend, have their rattles or noises.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links