Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Am I Due This Ecu Re-map I've Heard Such A Lot About?

Having read a thread of some considerable length about the diesel fuel economy and that some vehicles have had their ECU re-mapped, i kind of lost the plot whether or not mine requires it.

I took delivery of the vehicle about 20/12/06 and with frugal driving on long motorway runs I am averaging about 43-44mpg per tank full. When i say frugal this is disciplined cruise control driving set at 70mph.

I cannot say i've been disappointed with the economy, however I have found 6th gear unusable until recently. It appears that since about 5800miles on the clock it has loosened up somewhat and I can now cruise in 6th at around 70ish. It isn't entirely happy and needs cogging down should there be a climb, however it is noticeably better. Is this common?

Through the gears it is ok, however first to second suffers from a fair amount of lag as discussed before. I therefore question whether or not it might be that my car already has had the ECU re-mapped, or that it would benefit from having it done? I don't really want to compromise the economy if i can help it as the business mileage rate barely covers my commuting costs as it is.

Having read a thread of some considerable length about the diesel fuel economy and that some vehicles have had their ECU re-mapped, i kind of lost the plot whether or not mine requires it.

I took delivery of the vehicle about 20/12/06 and with frugal driving on long motorway runs I am averaging about 43-44mpg per tank full. When i say frugal this is disciplined cruise control driving set at 70mph.

I cannot say i've been disappointed with the economy, however I have found 6th gear unusable until recently. It appears that since about 5800miles on the clock it has loosened up somewhat and I can now cruise in 6th at around 70ish. It isn't entirely happy and needs cogging down should there be a climb, however it is noticeably better. Is this common?

Through the gears it is ok, however first to second suffers from a fair amount of lag as discussed before. I therefore question whether or not it might be that my car already has had the ECU re-mapped, or that it would benefit from having it done? I don't really want to compromise the economy if i can help it as the business mileage rate barely covers my commuting costs as it is.

I too have a IS220D new in Jan 2007. I too can achieve the advertised mpg 6.3ltr per 100klm or 44.8 mpg.

Its not for me to tell you what to do but I'm not prepared to risk upsetting the settings that for me are allowing the car to do exactly what it says on the box. Its my belief ...that its the conservative driving of the car which enables owners to get the better figures re: economy. It appears that you are indeed driving the car conservatively and therefore getting the reward from the tank/engine....well done. One thread recently advised owners who wanted to drive the IS220D like a sports car to get a Porsche...makes sense when you think about it the IS220D is a 4 pot diesel family saloon, even though it has the Starship Enterprise image.

Guys - in order to get that economy, it is bloomin' boring driving, unlike most oilers!

The settings for the remap are recommended by Lexus so not risky, and believe me it really improves the drive. they can always set it back should it not work. I don't think it's a factory standard yet - purely on request!

Guys - in order to get that economy, it is bloomin' boring driving, unlike most oilers!

The settings for the remap are recommended by Lexus so not risky, and believe me it really improves the drive. they can always set it back should it not work. I don't think it's a factory standard yet - purely on request!

My car was delivered Friday (23rd March), I asked the obligatory ECU update question and was told it was now standard from the factory.

The fact that Jamboo has been told something completeley different only proves that the information cant be relied upon.

I am well pleased with the econmoy so far - the first 500 miles (yes, already!) has averaged around 40mpg, which dropped to the high 38s with a small amount of local driving. I also, without giving away too much information, would not consider my driving 'boring'. To be honest, I am getting the economy I would expect from the engine size/size of car/performance.

Maybe it's a 'Friday Afternoon' car :winky:

I have a 220D on a 56 plate it now has 11,500 on the clock. MPG is slowly going up and has now got to 35mpg, I did get it to show 44 by driving like Miss Daisy but whats the point in having 180bhp and not using it all. :D

Can anybody give me please the reference-number of this "ECU-remap" ?

Because, i ask my dealer (and LEXUS-germany) an he doesn´t know about this "Motor-ECU-upgrade", and now i will ask him with detailed informations (example the "reference or serial-number" or a other detailed description)

Thanks

I have a 220D on a 56 plate it now has 11,500 on the clock. MPG is slowly going up and has now got to 35mpg, I did get it to show 44 by driving like Miss Daisy but whats the point in having 180bhp and not using it all. :D

You are absolutely correct and driving like Miss Daisy is not what this is about. On the motorway with a few points on the licence :blush: and on business i keep it in check and let the business mileage rate pay my way and some. The weekend car and motorbike are for putting serious smiles on my face :D , that is not to say when i let the Lexus stretch its legs it doesn't give me a grin or two.

Come on Moley, be great if you could give us your inside take on this.

Cheers and thanks for all the replies.

Update, ECU updated better MPG and use of sixth gear. this is on a SE model. not sport,

220d 06

Can you give me the reference-, serial-, versionsnumber (maybe the part-number on the order for the garage) of this update please?

... I too have the petrol IS250 V6 with auto-box / paddle shift (yes, it is a V6, no mods required, honest! :) ) and I 'give it a bit', and have never seen below 30 mpg, with 38~40 on a cruise. I can see why the 'intelligent' auto is more economical and with lower emissions than the manual version. If you've not driven one, you have to try it; it's a dream :winky: .

- Mark

... I too have the petrol IS250 V6 with auto-box / paddle shift (yes, it is a V6, no mods required, honest! :) ) and I 'give it a bit', and have never seen below 30 mpg, with 38~40 on a cruise. I can see why the 'intelligent' auto is more economical and with lower emissions than the manual version. If you've not driven one, you have to try it; it's a dream :winky: .

- Mark

Couldn't agree more - best auto around for this money!!