Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mileage Advice

Hi Guys!

i bought my lexus on the 9th of feb, at 85k on the clock...

i paid £4800 for it, and i recently got it serviced for £400

i had new brake pads fitted, front ball joints replaced, oil change, oil filter changed, air filter changed, and a few other little things done.

the car is now at 88.5k, at the rate im going, im going to hit the 100k mark pretty soon.

at the 100k i beleive its due a major service, we're talking cam belt, the lot.

im pretty certain its going to set me back a bit.

Would it be worth my while to sell at say 95k, and buy another is200?

Will i have trouble selling it when its gone over 100k?

what do you think i should do? any advice would be grand!

cheers

i like that out the box thinking! lol

all true pionts you make, but surely im right in saying that selling a 100k+ car is harder then one under?

i for one, dont even look at cars over 100k, infact, in most searches i filter out cars over 100k.

im my personal opinion i would have thought you would be better keeping it and having the cam belt done.

reason for this is, that if i was looking to buy id rather have one with say 102000 with a cam belt changes than buy one with 95,000 and have to pay to have it done myself.

reason for this is, that if i was looking to buy id rather have one with say 102000 with a cam belt changes than buy one with 95,000 and have to pay to have it done myself.

is it common knowledge though?

i, when i bought into the IS, never knew it needs a belt change at 100k, i personally thought it would have had a chain. or need replacement earlier on, say at 80k.

In the 1970, 100,000 miles marked the end of the life of the car. These days 100,000 miles is just a number on its way to 2-300,000 miles.

Although my 200 has only done 20,000 miles, I see no reason why it should not last for a very long time indeed which is lucky because I cant think of anything else I would rather have.

The key is regular maintainance... Say you sell your car just as you get it how you want it and go and buy a car with less miles and more issues because the car hasn't been looked after..

Find a good independant garage. I understand that the 100K service is a biggie but that is life.

If you like the car, and you have no problems with it, and it's been looked after, then why not keep it past 100k? I bought my LS400 when it had 115k on it, and ran it until 172k, and my GS was bought with 85k and is now at 101k without letting me down.

When a car gets well out of warranty and it's market value is lowish, it's often sensible to find a trustworth independent garage to service it.

I think that if the car looks the part- as in the cosmetics are fine- you'll be able to find a buyer regardless of the mileage. The only thing you need to consider is the dough you want for it. You have to adjust the price according to the mileage.

In "my cousin Vinny" terms- you wanna da mucho grande dough, you sella soon. You wanna da lessa mucho dough you sella later.

You can do things to compensate for the difference- a mate of mine repainted his old and knackered car in a rare (and desirable) colour and buyers came flocking to his door.